Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Comments

What's the usable battery capacity of the MG ?

The id3 tour 5 has 73.5 Kwh available out of 82 Kwh when new, shocking large buffer, meaning paying for 82 Kwh having access to 73 and now after a year have 68 kwh out of 82, that's a lot of expensive battery to carry around that I can't use.

Charging on DC is slow, have yet to see more than 60 Kw, from 20% charge, battery temps are the real culprit, all electrics ( except maybe tesla ) suffer the same in cold, not acceptable in my opinion in 2022 almost 2023.

Things I like about the id3 T5 is the travel assist, I would not like to do big motorway Kms without this feature again, it's far from perfect of course but it's made a huge difference to my endless commute.

Rear wheel drive is also essential, is the MG RWD ? I'd never drive a FWD EV after test driving the Kona, E-Soul and Leaf, especially on damp and wet roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Of all that technical stuff you asked about, all I can tell you is it's RWD, with a promised dual motor AWD sports model to launch sometime next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭horse7

Cars arriving in UK now arriving with granny cable only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I am sure as with everything else... "Specification is subject to change" 🙂

If it does not come with the type 2, I will be keeping the one from my current car (seeing as I had to buy that one originally anyway). I already have a spare granny cable so if they left that one out instead, I would be less bothered.

I think I heard someone in a review say it was a 64KWh battery with something like 61KWh available but I could be mistaken in that. If true, it is not much of a buffer (5% perhaps). As for degradation, I don't believe anyone out there has measured it or will for another while seeing as it is a relatively new model. That being said though, I wonder how long it has been on sale in China as the Mulan and if anyone has tested degradation there (they may not be as concerned though)

I will be happy to get 400kms in range out of it in the summer months anyway (not motorway, of course) and then would settle for about the 300km mark in winter. I have access to charging in work (as I believe you have @[Deleted User] ) so that will take a little of the sting out fuelling it anyway.

• Advertisement

I do have 11 Kw charging on 1 site and soon to have 7.4 kw on the other site.

I don't think my next EV will have any less than 80 Kwh usable, don't think we'll see anything like that for a long time and 150 kw charging until at least 70%, in Winter too , probably even longer before we see this.

Yeah, the ~60KWh size seems to be the sweet spot being aimed at by most manufacturers so I think it will be a while before we see anything bigger becoming a regular thing, unless you are going for something large like an ID4 or similar.

Well I think that the majority of People still want more range, the more range from home the less you need it for a long trip, I mean it's nice to have the range to get to work and back but when you need to travel further it's far better not to have to rely on public charging, I know a lot of People here will come up with all sorts of nonsense to make it work for them but I've done it since 2015 when I got the Leaf and I'm tired of it because 1, cars are not really fast charging especially in colder months and B the public network is crap.

The more range the better.

Did you have the test drive yet,any opinions (passenger also), if you have yet to drive it could you check the windscreen washer, as there is a report that it's too low at slow speed and at high speed it's going over the roof?

I drove it last Thursday. It was fine, dry weather so didn't get to use the wipers or the windscreen washer. I would imagine that the washer nozzles are adjustable though, they certainly have been on every car i have ever owned before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Fairly sure he has Horse, had his report up earlier - and if his test drive is anything like what Frank Keane offered me 'height of windscreen sprayer' is way down anyone's checklist.

I've seen that comment on MG4 owner uk thread but few have had that issue or commented on. Simple problem is, no MG4 on Irish road or ownership yet so no one to comment on it, so keep watching UK chat.

On a plus side 5 star ncap confirmed (see above)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

Did the test drive in sheils in galway last Friday on the excite LR. Very impressed with it on the road and looks great both inside and out....so after much deliberation I put down deposit today. I got metallic paint as extra... they wanted sell me sort of extra insurance cover for exterior/ interior of the car but I declined... this is my first ever new car and ev so hopefully it will work out well. Next May I should have it so they said !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Looks like the first batch have arrived earlier than expected. Mine will be available for collection in January.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭RM Ernest

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Hi I have a deposit on a 64kws Leaf which is refundable I had a test drive in the MG4 on Weds and am a bit conflicted.I've had a Leaf since Feb 2017.Love the car it has all the bits I like reversing camera.Heated seats, heated steering wheel,drives like a dream landfill getting 180kms on the GOM even in this freezing weather.

I can get most of these on the MG at several thousand less.So things to think about.The steering wheel felt very odd yes some will love it might just be a getting used to thing.The sales guy said no Granny cable but I read here some folks are saying no charge cable what's the cost of a cable?. Resale value vrs a Leaf my thinking /worry with the Leaf is the lack of fast charging I thinking can't charge above 50is a the MG is 150kws in a few years nearly all cars will be 100kws I presume so will a Leaf be a much less attractive option.I do around60kms a day all city driving with weekend visits to West Cork of around 150kms 75 kms each way.Any thoughts or comments

Granny cables and type 2s can be had for between the €150 to €250 mark, the last time I checked, so they are not massively expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭staples7

Just interested in how you know it’s down to 68kwh available after a year. Would like to check what the degradation is on my own ID.

Post edited by staples7 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭John arse

No granny cable supplied?they're gonna sell you a car that you can't charge at home-very strange!🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭RM Ernest

The only positive I see for the leaf is it has a bigger boot. If you can live with the smaller boot in the MG4 it is better in every other way with CCS, better DC charging and thousands cheaper.

I use an OBD dongle and the carscanner app on Android, once fully charged it will give you a reading of the max available energy of the traction battery, and I believe the max available when new is 73.5 Kwh now mine says 68 but I did not take a reading when brand new, however, the battery will need to be around 20 Deg to get a more accurate reading.

The id3 "tour 5" has a massive buffer, 82 Kwh and 73.5 available when new.

So basically my id3 Tour 5 now has 68 Kwh usable out of 73 Kwh max and new it had 73.5 Kwh available out of 77 Kwh Max, I can't access the 73 Kwh. Kinda p1sses me off if it's correct that out of 82 Kwh only had 73.5 available new and now have 68 Kwh, while still carrying around an expensive 82 Kwh battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Lots of cars aren't coming with them now, most people don't use them. If you don't want to get a charger installed then buying a granny cable for €200 isn't a big deal.

I use one at work sometimes, 6 hours a day for 4 days and it barely covers my 30km commute.

12kWh only barely covers a 30km commute after a 6 hour granny cable session? Blimey! You must be driving the latest Hummer EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭John arse

I use my granny charger all the time at home,works great for me but it's only a 14kw battery(kuga phev).Surely you should get one supplied with any new ev though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

8kw, which after commuting and preheating barely gives me 5% battery gain each day assuming I don't do any extra driving, which I do. Granny charging just means an uphill battle to try keep the car charged for the sake of not buying a €600 dedicated charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can buy a new granny cable for around 250 euro. You can buy a public charging cable for 99 euro (from tesla sold out)., Typically less than 200 euro.

In terms of leaf vs mg4, boot size, but mg4 should charge in public faster and with ccs you get access to ionity chargers, Tesla superchargers (in the future), and the ratio of ccs to chademo means newer sites like applegreen will have less chademo.

Now the leaf is refined and very good, but it's obsolete and battery size is exaggerated and high speed range is relatively low versus efficiency of Hyundai or tesla.

The MG4 is a bit of an unknown but I suspect it will hold it's value better so total cost of ownership will be lower. There is risks in both options but 4 years ago I chose Hyundai over Nissan for similar reasons.

Your granny cable must not be capable of charging at 10 amps then, as otherwise you should be getting close to 12KWh out of it in 6 hours (10a x 240v = 2.4KW). In any case, I agree that using a granny charger long term is not a good idea. It is only supposed to get you some charge when you have no access to a proper 7KW or higher powered charger.

• Advertisement

The sales guy maybe wrong about the granny cable, apparently they don't know until the car comes in, also you have to get a type 2 or a granny.

Advertisement