Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there is nothing to answer.

99% of people who are unable to house themselves are not choosing to be in that situation.

i'm not happy about the 1% who do choose that situation but quite frankly i have better things to care and be worried about then someone not living up to my personal expectations.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

Please don't try and include me in your privilege. I don't have a position of privilege.

I know that there are plenty of people who struggle, and need help and support.

I also know that there are plenty of people who choose not to house themselves.

Generational welfare is a downward spiral, and leads to more and more social problems, but the answer from Sinn Féin and its supporters is: Give them more welfare!

Why not try and fix the problems?

Why blame and try and punish people who choose to house themselves?

people who try and house themselves aren't being blamed or punished.

the problem of generational wellfare can't be fixed because the reason it exists is due to a lot of the jobs which would have been once done by these individuals grand parents no longer existing or being required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭mikethecop

ya all that Tech and IT and call center jobs , all that light industry and international industry's that used to exist , not to mention the bloated state jobs that no longer exists 🤔🤔🤔

you think that's the problem do ya ? how many were generational social welfare lifers 100 years ago do you think ?

all those jobs you mention are full and have plenty to do them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

You have no appetite to fix the problem.

If the generation welfare problem is fixed, which it can be, then a lot of the support for the left dries up, and the left don’t want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Housing security and the income to support that is a position of privilege (hell, there aren't many in the western world who don't have some sort of privilege; living in an affluent enough society to provide social benefits is a privilege even our lowest socioeconomic tier have, but I digress). Privilege doesn't mean you didn't earn that, but it does mean you started out with the tools to achieve what you have.

'Plenty of' isn't a percentage by the way. I asked what percentage of people supported by social benefits do you think are CHOOSING not to house themselves? Certainly it is a non-zero number, but in my experience, right-leaning folk always seem to dodge quantification because it would involve admitting that it is pretty negligible in terms of our social spend.

Generational welfare certainly exists, I saw enough of it where I grew up to know that. I also saw many kids growing up around me who never had it ingrained in them that they could aspire to more, who's parents were in and our of prison and who never held down a job in their lives. When that cycle inevitably repeated, with many of those now raising their own kids when in and out of prison, it points to a more complex social problem than, 'ah sure they're just choosing not to house themselves....cut them off!'.

For the record, I absolutely think that SF's, 'give them more welfare' approach avoids actually addressing the core issues (though I'll also point out that the 'fiver a week onto the dole' every budget suggests that our usual government parties haven't got much better solutions in this space either.) Certainly there's the square root of f*ck all on the SF manifesto that makes me think for a second that they'll fix anything at all.

Also, who is blaming or punishing you for housing yourself? I've certainly never felt like a victim for having my own home.

It'd take a pretty cynical, selfish view to assume that so few in society have any empathy towards those less fortunate that support for the left is so heavily made up of generational welfare beneficiaries. It'd also be at odds with reality given the levels of support on the left at the moment....they can't all be below average earners.

In my experience, there are plenty of high earning, high tax contributing lefties in the Tech industry that's so important for our economy. It's been a long time, but there was no shortage of them in my time in pharma either, albeit probably not quite so prevalent.

as usual when the BS you post is called out you pretend (hopefully) to misunderstand in a weak effort to deflect 🙄🙄🙄

i really hope you get a new playbook from the organization for xmass

the left do at least try by increasing economic activity but realise the reality.

the right do nothing what soever to fix it and just look at the UK who not only have screwed over their country but have increased the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I found a discussion from Clontarf Dublin Media on youtube which was posted five years ago.

With the title

Organised Crime special: City Councillor to Convict, we outed Jonathan Dowdall as a "wrong 'un"

So this information is already in the public domain -

The blurb is as follows -

'This interview was originally broadcast on Council Matters (103.2 Dublin City-fm) in June 2018.

In 2014, when Jonathan Dowdall was elected to Dublin City Council, he attracted more votes than Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil, 3 x Labour candidates, a Green Party councillor and a current Workers' Party councillor. This probably owed more to the efficiency of the Sinn Féin electoral machine and the gullibility of the Dublin Central electorate, than any personal charisma on Dowdall's part.

Cllr. Dowdall subsequently resigned from Sinn Féin, initially claiming health issue, before altering that to "bullying" when he rebranded himself as an Independent. It all came to a head following the Regency Hotel shootings, when Dowdall's home was raided by police in search of firearms. They may not have found any weapons but instead discovered something even more incriminating - a USB stick. On that stick was an X-ratd video recording of a man being waterboarded, torture and threatened with mutilation and death. It eas not clear why Dowdall chose to keep this "trophy" but in 2017 it earned him 12 years in maximum security, with his willing accomplice father copping an 8 stretch.

Solicitor and criminologist Malachy Steenson, was the first person to alert the public to the rumours of Dowdall's involvement in serious crime. He was later vindicated when Dowdall, father and son, pleaded guilty in the Special Criminal Court.

In a 2016 edition of CouncilMatters, Malachy discussed in detail the nexus between politics and organised crime in Dublin's inner city. In the wake of Dowdall's conviction he returned to update listeners in relation to that case and other accusations of nefarious goings on, involving criminals and local politicians.

He proposes the 731 voters who gave Dowdall their first preference are owed an explanation, by Sinn Fein into:

- who recruited him into the party?

- how he was selected as a candidate, over better known and qualified party activists?

- what were the sources of any funds he brought to the party?

While Malachy confirms the Dowdall case is one the worst example of links between criminals and politicians in Dublin, he concedes it is not unique. He offers examples of (reputed) large scale drug importation by politically connected identities and suddenly acquired wealth and properties being amassed by others.

Dublin politics is not for the faint hearted!'

==

Solicitor, criminologist and Republican Malachy Steenson said his own Republican sources tried to warn Mary Lou McDonald about Dowdall's background.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

PR disaster for SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yeah some of those jobs requires hard work and skill... tens of thousands of low skill jobs going now, what's the excuse not to take them?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Interesting analysis of the polls showing how difficult it will be for SF to get to power.

so sf as a legitimate political party will be ensuring these boyos are returned to face the music of selling their terrorist skills to drug cartels and narco terrorists right ?

or will they pretend that its nothing to do with them and try to rewrite history again lol

Colombia Three: Amnesty granted to Irish men found guilty of training FARC guerrillas withdrawn - SundayWorld.com

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I remember those lads, as brazen AF with the TV cameras on them. Different rules/mindset to the norm that’s for sure.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

shit pay which would be wiped out by the costs of getting to those jobs.

no point in working just to pay your transport costs to get there and having nothing else.

the way to deal with that of course would be higher wages.

it's nothing to do with SF.

the3 boyos have faced their music presumably as i believe they spent time in prison.

lol i wonder whats the shinner equivalent of chemical ali ?

they jumped bail while out during the appeal so no they didn't do their time like most ira terrorists

"The appeal court overturned the original trial verdict, and convicted the men of training the rebels, sentencing them to seventeen years in jail on 16 December 2004"

all three ira sf members one had even been a elected rep for them 😄😄😄

exporting terrorism is sfs only economic policy so far

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

All the usual proponents of SF seem to have gone very quiet here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Where are they …..up amongst the whins and the heathery slopes?

That could be it ….bad coverage in those areas.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

More posts deleted

No more warnings. Permanent threadbans for anyone else ignoring it

Any questions PM me. Do not respond to this warning in thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Mary Lou completely jumped the shark today when she had a go at Eamonn Ryan over flight disruption at Dublin Airport due to bad weather. What control does she think government has over weather? There are lots of things to have a go at Ryan about but that’s facile.

They’re scraping the bottom of populism barrel now with every little thing the governments fault according to SF. I look forward to SF ministers out with their ice scrapers and buckets of salt at Dublin Airport when they are in power whenever there’s a cold snap.

Are any of the much-maligned hacks who get so much abuse on Twitter still doing their thing when it comes to how SF ended up owning so much property? You might put it down as good bucket shaking to own places in Dublin, London, Derry, and Belfast, but the rest of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Seems shenanigans afoot in Dublin Central.

Supposedly promised a cushy job next time round to keep her in the party fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Yeah, all the unemployed around my area are the grandchildren of blacksmiths, millers and coopers ;-)

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

McDonald was very sour looking when Varadkar was giving his speech, she then jumps up shouting about change knowing full well she will have to talk to either FF or FG if she wants to get her arse in the bosses chair after the next election.

But sure it sounded great to the average SF supporter who wouldn't be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

That's quite a lot of people you think are stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

RIGHT but those who vote FF/FG are in tune with reality. Or so you think.

Advertisement