Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

2 were during penalties. If he was applying the same standard he could've booked every single Argentina player at full time when they decided to have a go at him and a few tried starting another row. Paredes could've been off a couple of times too.

They got away with some absolute dirtbag tackles and were awarded for what was nothing less than blatant diving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If Portugal and England make it through tomorrow, I fear I might actually end up supporting the latter to win the cup.

I just don’t like what’s left at this stage, Croatia and Argentina are pretty tough to watch and Portugal are as toxic a side I’ve ever seen in international football. Sh*thousery is only enjoyable once someone gets their comeuppance for it.

As that gimp Infantino would say; Tomorrow, I’m Moroccan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would argue the rules are no longer fit for purpose. In years gone by, a player taking a free could go high or go low. The option of going low has now been taken off the table by this practice of planking behind the main wall. Do we not want the sport to favour the attacking team? The fouled team, as opposed to the foulers? When is the last time you saw a successful, low free-kick? Previously it was a gamble for the attacking team to go for it, hoping that the wall would jump. It was a fair balance. Now we have an imbalance due to this second barrier tactic.

I know the lawmakers could sort this out with little difficulty. They've made up all sorts of rules for issues much less important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Mainly for Messi, yeah. But I’m not sure what’s wrong with their style compared with the other contenders ? They were the better team over 120 minutes tonight. OK, the ref should have booked Messi for the handball but I thought it was a peno, took his legs inside the box. The Dutch had about 10 minutes after they scored and Argentina panicked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Drama filled game. Lots of entertainment throughout - partially because of the referee wanting to be centre stage.

Worth noting that Messi stepped up straight away to take his penalty after Netherlands had missed theirs. No waiting around to be the 5th or score the winning penalty for the headlines and ego. Instead he done the important thing. Score and take the lead straight away. Set the tone for his teammates and let them take the headlines. They all win together. A few others should take note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It would've been magical 8, or maybe even 4, years ago... Ronaldo just doesn't offer enough now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

and messi passes out batistuta as argie all time world cup scorer. as far as i'm concerned the best striker the last 20 years followed by RVN

Fair enough, just being curious.

I personally think France and England play better stuff but to be fair very few international teams play brilliant football (Portugal were good against the Swiss). I think it’s just their antics to be honest, just feels like they could actually be a much better watch if they played football, rather than spending most of the match trying to antagonise the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Yeah he's always at that, as you can see tonight he lost complete control of the game. Welcome to La Liga refereeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There's nothing in the rules or basic ideology of the game that a free kick should guarantee a high-quality shot straight at goal. It's just a free kick, same as everywhere else on the pitch - you may get one closer to goal, from which you can try something more dangerous, and you're given all the time you need to work out your tactics and strike it however you wish. Having an extra man in the wall means an extra attacker free, and attacking teams can see if they can use that to take advantage by doing something else. We saw something interesting done today for the first time in aaages, and i'd rather see more of that, of teams looking to innovate, than force the game to get stuck in a pre-determined pattern.

I think football is better when it's not hyper regulated with room for the unexpected, and the counter actions to that. So I prefer the simple situation of a free, from which you can do what you want tactically, and the defending team can do what they want to try to counter act your plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Meh. There were players who should have been booked, and weren't. Van Dijk in that mini melee. Could have been sent off, but weren't. Wieghorst. I think the refs try to protect the players, especially the standout players, they're probably instructed to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

1990 World Cup

Argentina lose first game

They over rely on one exceptional player

They don’t play a particularly entertaining football

Their goalkeeper performs heroics in penalties on way to final

The list keeps synchronising up the further they go in this.

I think we can all agree that the worst outcome for the other semi-final would be Portugal v England. So fingers crossed for Morocco and France. France are the probably the best team left in the tournament.

That's been most Argentina games. Teams have let them have the ball. Their first goal was good but they didn't create anything more than Netherlands for much of the first 110 mins..

They had 7 shots in the last 10 which really skews it and most from outside the box.

Netherlands had a player brought down in the box that was much a peno as the other end. Argentina were all over the place anytime the ball came into the box and were given frees out for nothing. They showed replays but there were no offsides or fouls at all.

Argentina were not particularly good, neither team was. It was a poor match, not helped by a terrible ref whose failure to do his duty helped one team more than the other in a big way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Glad Argentina are through, Dutch were always known for the dirt, kicked the **** out of the Spanish in 2010. However what was Argentinas no 4, Montiel thinking pushing that dutch player in the back just outside the penalty area with a minute to go, are these footballers idiots, no brains?, he nearly caused Argentina to go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

About an hour ago, the Dutch scored a low Free Kick.

They replaced Pitch Perfect 3 with an equally pile of $#1#€! Is it called First Dates Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

What a game tonight, such entertainment and drama throughout the second half and extra time. The Netherlands free kick was pure genius. I thought they would go on to win it but the Messi narrative continues and I'll be all aboard that train for the next ten days or so.

Agree France are the best team left in it but this tournament has had a few surprises to date. Hopefully France beat England tomorrow and then Portugal should beat Morocco (have a feeling they will be exhausted after the last game).

Knockout rounds have been disappointing to date but tonight really made me appreciate the world cup again.

There's no protection for deliberate handball. It's a yellow card. It shouldn't have even crossed his mind who did it.

Wieghorst had lots of small niggly fouls. Some of the were not even fouls they were Argentina using gravity. Paredes smashed up 3 players. Kicked the ball away. Mouthed off to the ref about 5 times and got 1 booking for it.

If they want to protect players book them for cheating. Messi ran into 2 dutch players and was given frees. They were not fouls, or frees remotely. Again that's not preotecting. It's the type of refereeing that wills we somebody finally say **** it and smash someone to pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I agree that the Dutch were crap in 2010, but if that is the basis for your argument, do you want to back to 1978, and the World Cup played in Argentina, a country being run by a junta for 2 years? The game between Argentina and Peru was fixed to kick out Brazil. Reasons enough there to go against the Albiceleste. They have been dirt for 40 years. Stupid logic, yes, but you started it!

Clearly though tonight something happened between the referee and Argentina, because this was the most biased and corrupt refereeing I have ever seen at a World Cup. He'll be on the next plane out of Doha, and Argentina will get to wondering how to assault the Croatians. They will find out, however, that they are ever so slightly more physical than the Dutch. Hopefully, there'll be a ref on duty that day who knows the rules and isn't just chasing a jersey as a souvenir.

• Advertisement

Pure dirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Such an unlikeable team. I hope Croatia stuff them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

2-2

Ronaldo scores 2, Messi scores 2

Extra time, Messi picks up ball in midfield, dances through 5 players to score the winner with 1 minute to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Croatia ain't stuffing anybody, considering they play without a forward.

They had one shot on target today, and that was the goal in extra time, and it was deflected.

They are no great watch either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I have never seen Virgil Van Dijk take a penalty until tonight. It's good to see the Captain step up and take responsibility, but to my eyes and I know people will disagree, he never looked like he was going to score it, even the way he stood behind the ball didn't look right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Fair enough but you should show respect to your opponent's. Reminds me of when Keown made that monkey face after Van Nistlerooy missed the peno for United. Keown was awful horrible cnut.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Pity they haven't one or two good goalscorers, considering they still have such a wonderful play maker in Modric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He was excellent today, but a goalscorer he ain't.

Croatia are dogged. I would never call them a flair team. Then again, very few teams are these days.

Often it's about managing games. Croatia never seem to quit, that's why they have been involved on extra time and penalties often.

There was crap going on throughout the penalties between the two sides. The commentators kept saying it, but the cameras never showed it. There was constant needle throughout the match. The ref didn't help quash it. So yeah, that photo doesn't look great in some regards, but I never trust the media these days. Not all of them are looking that way, and maybe they're looking at management. I'll reserve judgement.

Dumfries was sent off after the match had ended for something. Presumably between him and di maria.

Fucking awful ref didn't have the stones to tell Messi to walk and let paredes away with general scumbaggery on the pitch though and failed to award dutch a peno

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Didn't think much wrong about the ref, he should've booked Messi earlier, but that's about it. I mean he could've sent about ten players off and booked pretty much every squad member of both teams the way it went on with several bench clearouts

The penalty was a penalty, the last second free kick was a freekick. Delighted though that Netherlands are out, they have stunk out tournaments for too long now.

Luke de jong got cleaned out of it a few mins after the Argentina penalty by 2 players.

• Advertisement

No TV showed replay when Dutch player was taken down in the box, and no comment from VAR. Looked as much of a foul as Dumfries on Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

This is my suspicion, too. That photo looks terrible from an Argentinian point of view, but I would guess that they were goaded to some degree by the Dutch. If they were, then fairs fair. If they weren't, then they should be ashamed as I've never seen that before in a penalty shoot-out.

Odds on Croatia holding out for another shoot-out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Odds on Croatia holding out for another shoot-out?

Argentina will surely seek to take the game to them more aggressively than Brazil. Easier said than done of course but surely they must believe they have a better chance of winning an open game against Croatia than one that goes to penalties, even if that involves conceding the first goal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

So you think they are gonna lose in the final to Germany ?

😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Lautaro Martinez followed out of the centre circle by 4 Dutch players as he walks up to take the winning penalty, just as some context for everyone calling the Argentinians scumbags for that photo.

In fact to an extent they did it for every Argentina penalty, absolutely awful refereeing to allow that to continue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Morocco versus Croatia would be an awesome final.

And Noppert walked right up to Martinez as well with the ball for the penalty kick. Gamesmanship right to the very end. The Dutch have been involved in plenty of dirty matches over the years.

They were being kicked up and down the in pitch all night as Argentina were facilitated by one of the most dandalous refereeing performances in a long time.

There was argintinian players bumping into at least one of the dutch peno takers too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The blinkers are beyond parody at this point. Argentina are loathsome and went unpunished, they should have been playing with 9 men but for the refs man crush on Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

An Argentine ref team for the Morocco vs. Portugal game this afternoon.

They reff'ed South Korea's win over Portugal

I wonder will they favour Morocco so Ronnie doesn't get as far as Messi in this World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Bizarrely Messi thinks the ref was useless but believes the decisions were all going to Netherlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I thought he was equally bad for both sides to be honest. Of course Messi should have been booked but so too should Van Dijk. Refs have clearly been instructed to only issue red cards as a last resort (which is a good thing) which saved a few players last night, Timber being the obvious one. He committed 2 fouls after his booking that would be guaranteed yellows in the PL.

i don’t mind a bit of needle in a game and much prefer it to one where players get booked for being in the general vicinity of someone who throws themselves to the ground.

While Argentina aren’t the nicest team they are choirboys in comparison to the 1990 version!

Messi's was a blatant hand ball. A deliberate and professional foul. There's no argument. It should have been automatic. Messi ran into 2 players and was awarded frees. Berghuis got booked for Messi running into him. It's absurd.

Van dijks was a body check into a players shoulder. A player who had just committed a a foul that some refs might have given a red for given it was high, late and deliberate and then booted the ball away at opposition bench.

There came a point when dutch realised the ref was on another **** planet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Every pantomime needs a villain. The way I look at it when under pressure and it is last resort a nation falls back on their in built ‘culture’. Argentina has always had an ‘edge’ it is how they play football.

When Argentina were underachieving many said they played nice football but… . The collective did not seem to be there.

Now they have that togetherness them against the world. Creating the persecution complex. And it is working for them.

As for the Dutch they tried the same thing in 2010 even more OTT and it nearly worked.

But yesterday we saw the true Dutch culture - tactical ingenuity under the peak of pressure.

As for the image up above you posted. That is just the competitive winning mentality when there is an edge in game. Some cross the boundary of what is decent - and others react, that is sport.

All players don’t go hugging each other and asking ‘how do you feel?’

People may have short memories but a quick search of Fernando Couto and Aldridge 1995 reveals the following image and story.

And I still remember it, that’s sport. The red hot caldron of competition gives memories. If soccer was completely sanitised it would lose its soul. Becoming mind numbingly dull.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Oh there's people blinkered here alright. Blinkered against Argentina and Messi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement