Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 N0CARSGO

Wow somehow it came through straight away after being moved to Final Checks this morning. What a giant relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭blarb

Delighted to hear that, had no advice for you but was rooting for you! Best of luck with the move, and hope your family member pulls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭COH

Update #3

We have finally signed contracts after being sale agreed for almost 5 months ...

Big push now to get keys this side of Christmas - Almost there now! Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Selling a rental to the council. All good so far.

They are paying Matketing value and the tenants are being kept on. We wouldn’t have sold if it meant evicting them

So win win

as soon as it closes and the cash is in the bank we’ll be putting our PPR up for sale or applying for permission to extend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

My solicitor applied for funds Thursday two weeks ago with PTSB and they were released exactly a week later. All I had to send in was up to date payslips and proof of mortgage protection and house insurance. They never actually queried anything which I thought they would.

I found the whole buying experience a horrible nightmare tbh but the actual drawdown part was fine. After a week of being a home owner it still hasn’t sunk in it’s going to take a while. I was years looking for the right house on and off happy to have the process completed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Craig_David

Think I was Nov 13th.

Still no sign of the funds yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Thistley

Eeeeeek! Getting so close!!! I do keep checking in to see if there are any updates :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Signed Contracts on Tuesday finally after being sale agreed since mid-September :) Absolutely delighted! 

I'm chasing a rate rise with AIB before 16th Jan but my solicitor is confident that I'll draw down before then.

My timeline so far:

• May - AIP (Second one as had to renew after previous one expired from last year)
    • July/August/Sept - back to looking at houses and being outbid. Was pursuing last year but after being outbid and had a new build get pulled due to material cost, I took a breather to save more money.
    • Week 2 September - Sale Agreed :) 
    • Week 3 September - Loan offer sent to solicitor.
    • Week 4 September > Week 3 October - Surveyor (no major issues), Valuation Report and insurances sorted. 
    • Week 2 November - Vendor solicitor finally provided contacts and queries were sent out
    • Week 2 December - Solicitor was happy with responses to final queries and signed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 southofthelee

Is your AIB-AIP still active since May? I thought AIB AIP was 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

No you're right, this was the initial AIP before the approval now that I remember it - like before you submit all satisfactory documents.

Sorry I'm getting my timeline skewed! I had started in May and got provisional AIP there, I initially submitted most stuff, but was actually end of August when I got the last of what I needed finally over the line and they "officially" said I can go looking at houses. Sorry for the confusion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Formosa

Had the final inspection Wednesday, vendors were in mid-moving out stage, still a bit to do but fair play to them, they got through it and left a spotless house (as well as seeing to the couple of tasks arising out of the survey.

My solicitor didn't get the funds in from Avant until 2pm Friday, meaning vendors solr wouldn't have until Monday, but it was agreed to release the keys on the basis of a screenshot of the funds in my solr's account.

End result, dash to the auctioneers at 5.15pm Friday and collected the keys, job done.

From bid accepted (without AIP) on 23rd Sept, to keys on 9th Dec, I appreciate how lucky I am reading some other stories here...again, huge credit ot my broker who was fantastic, and my solicitor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Very lucky Formosa, jealous of ya 🤪 we have a similar time line to you but minus the Christmas miracle I guess.

We were with our solicitor today pretty much ready to go on our end bar home insurance, awaiting to hear back on some pre contract queries from ours to the vendors, relating to the compliance of the sheds in the garden, one is brick and smaller than an average box room from the outside, another is for the oil burner and is no bigger than a wardrobe basically and the last is for a wooden shed that's not permanent so can't see it being an issue. They haven't bothered responding in about 3 weeks so what could of been a pre Christmas move will now be mid January and a bundle of joy due Feb means it will all be tight...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did any of you renegotiate your prices after the pre-purchase survey or are those days gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭This is it

In the market for buying now after getting mortgage approval. Viewed a house which had one bid, we bid today and within minutes it went up 1k and then another 4k, then the property disappeared from the homebid site. Not sure what's going on there, possibly a mistake and they removed it to rectify. It's still on daft.

Not a fan of these bidding sites where it's easy to register and bid without showing any credentials. On registering there was a notification that we need to supply AIP but we were approved straight after having supplied a name and email only.

I don't want to be getting paranoid and thinking "this is the EA/seller/someone pushing prices up" but it did seem a bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 awjeez

We're just about to close on selling our house and our purchasers negotiated a lower price with us after their survey. The windows are fairly old, and they had already gone way over asking price, so we were still happy to accept a lower price. Although amending their loan offer ended up delaying the entire process by a few months which was frustrating... But I don't think negotiating after a survey is unreasonable, particularly if any issues are flagged because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Dante

Is there any particular things to look out for in a survey (barring the stuff below)? I'm hoping to get a full survey done on a duplex apartment this week.

I can think of obvious things like plumbing, heating, electricals, boiler, dampness, structural soundness, insulation, attic/roof.

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Would I be wrong in contacting the estate agent in regards to the current status of the vendor/their solicitors, as we are all set and have heard nothing from them in over a month not even so much as a yeah we are still working on it or anything just silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

You should be in constant contact with all parties throughout the process. Check with you own solicitor to see if they have received the sales notice. Be proactive, is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 UnholyBitchYunalesca

Agree totally with this advice. Never wait on them to come back to you - if you want/need an update, chase them for it.

Even close to the end of the process we have to push for every small update. It is like pulling teeth but I'm sure (hope) the house will be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Well worth it, might just glean information at least on the process so you can park your thoughts on it for x no of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 byron55

Is anyone else out there winning the bidding process but then being told, 'sorry, you're not getting the house'? Twice in last 6 months, we've fought so hard for houses that are perfect for us and been the top bidder, but have been rejected for the underbidder. 1st time: oh, the underbidder lives up the road and contacted the vendor separately. 2nd time: almost word for word the same line, only this time 'lives 3 doors up the road'. We are ready to go, and the underbidders were not cash buyers. We are bidding on rural houses from my home county but we currently live in neighbouring county, but I'm making this clear to agents. We don't believe we are being told the truth, particularly this last time where the agent didn't put much effort into the story, and I know it is of course the vendor's decision who buys their house, but it is so, so deflating. If they were local bidders, why do they wait until the bidding goes 20% over asking before contacting the vendor? Beginning to wonder if we ever had a shot with either house and were simply used to fire up the bidding. I don't know how to stop this happening again. Is anyone else getting this issue?

Final update: Just collected our keys to our new house 🥳

The mrs is off to buy a Christmas tree, I just deleted the Daft app and am off to the off licence for a very large bottle of something extravagant.

I actually cant believe it has actually happened at last after 11 years of renting together we never have to ask permission to hang a picture ever again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 UnholyBitchYunalesca

Congratulations! We hope to be in the same situation next week - fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Ya but not in the circumstances you describe. A year ago lost out to an underbidder - who was a cash buyer. Auctioneer was straight up on it, seller wanted very little delay with Sale(I had to sell my house then even though had buyer lined up) and the sale amount was that price in the Property register. So Auctioneer was 100% straight on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

· November 2019: Get AIP

· March 2020: Go sale agreed

Enter Covid, subsidies, lost the sale

· November 2021: Switch job so I'm not on Covid subsidies anymore, start waiting out the probation

· June 2022: Passed probation, new AIP

· September 2022: Go sale agreed

· December 2022: I finally pick up the keys today

I am so relieved to not live in the sticks with my parents anymore. I ordered a takeaway and ate it on the stairs because I have nothing to sit on. This whole process over 3 years has been so very very awful. I would not wish this challenge on anyone else, and the whole experience was so much harder as a solo buyer.

I am going to wake up in my own home tomorrow. I cannot believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Congratulations!

Similar situation to yourself here, but a few months behind. Knowing other people are getting there is a big boost!

Best of luck and enjoy that feeling in the morning, it’ll all be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Thistley

Whoop whoop! Absolutely delighted for you both!!! Happy moving!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 spudrick

Well I wildly underestimated the complexity of getting a mortgage. For context, earlier in the year I struck gold and got a big pay out selling employee shares in a startup I'd worked at from the beginning, which was bought out by a big company. I first thought it was big enough money to buy a house outright, but after some searching (and the way prices have gone the last couple of years), it turned out to be big enough money to cover about 80-90% of a house for the size and location I wanted for my family. A mortgage for the rest should be easy I thought. An LTV of less than 20%, a total sum that's less than 2x multiple of my salary, all comfortably affordable. I went through a broker and indeed getting the approval in principal and the househunter's agreement was indeed fairly straightforward. A few months later I found the house we wanted, which actually ended up being a little cheaper than we'd allowed for. It was a new build, we put in a holding deposit, they sent contracts out, and then this is where things got tricky as I tried to get finalised with the bank.

First they went back through all the accounts they previously did for the AIP, only with significantly more nitpicking - asking for tax returns showing that certain sources of past income were declared etc, even though they'd already seen it before and it was all completely legit. This back and forth delayed for quite a few weeks, but then the real kicker was today when they looked through up to date copies of our statements and they highlighted major concerns about affordability due to the expenditure we've had in the last few months since AIP.

Again for context, we had this big windfall earlier in the year. We'd left it completely untouched because we were using it for the house. But once we had initial approval, we knew the cost of the house we were buying, and we knew we had that money set aside with quite a bit more left over (we were keeping close to 50k surplus for moving costs, furniture etc), we decided to spend some of that windfall on a few treats - live like someone who has a six figure bank account for a little while, because it will probably never happen again. So there was a big holiday, some frivolous and unnecessary expenditure, but all coming out of that extra buffer money we had with our core finances in good shape. I thought that was totally fine, the bank don't see it that way though, they see it as spending more than our income for a couple of months and a failure to demonstrate we would be able to make our payments. Nobody told us we had to demonstrate this! We already demonstrated it with year's worth of statements for the original approval and I thought that was done.

I'm now worried the whole deal will fall through, for a house that I know I can absolutely afford the repayments on (I was spending more on rent 5 years ago when my income was 40% lower than it is now) - the mortgage broker has said he'd go back and try to explain (all contact going second hand through a broker is frustrating too) but isn't promising anything.

While all this has been happening the vendor is putting me under pressure and getting a bit understandably worried. I'm concerned they might pull out if I continue delaying. I just want to get this finalised and complete the sale! At the time I put down the holding deposit I genuinely thought it was a complete formality. If they'd told me that I wasn't allowed dip into my savings during the process I wouldn't have either, but I had no idea it was such a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭ec18

You've unfortunately found out the hard way that AIP isn't actually worth the paper it's printed on. Hopefully the broker can smooth it over for you, I've found them better to deal with rather than banks themselves.

When the application goes to full approval it essentially is treated like a application when it goes to underwriting

Advertisement