Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It is, isn't it? December is the worst month for solar I think, so things are only looking up from now 😁

Don't sit on your hands though. It is not enough to just not use day rate electricity at all, all year round. Next you need to install more PV / battery so you can actually heat water / your house from PV and / or night rate as much as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd say about a CM max. Generally I'd be at 1.5-2kW currently without the ice so its probably not affecting at all. We didnt get any snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Looks like the neighbours panels are ice free now, cleared off quickly enough when they were getting direct sun

It'd be kinda cool to make a little PTC fan heater to sit at the bottom row of panels and blow some warm air up behind the panels. The space between the panels and the roof should form a nice chimney to carry the warm air up behind the panels

It wouldn't be particularly efficient but if you could warm the panels by a couple of degrees to get the ice off then it could be workable 🤔

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Go away out of that you nerd / freak 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

On it already. Have 7.2kWh worth of battery, so that's keeping the house powered from night rate charging. It's enough battery for our means currently.

The Eddi looks after the water on good days. A bigger tank is on my wishlist.

Electric heaters are getting some good usage too these days.

My biggest gripe is my year fixed rate contract is up next month. 6.95c night rate has been fantastic!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

It's even better than that. 6.67c with the 9% VAT rate!

Hard to believe that earlier this year I was still on 4.78c / kWh incl. VAT

Now 7.9c and fixed until the end of August 2023, still not too bad. Told a friend last night at just after 11PM that it was 15kW O'clock 😁

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Looking at my usage.

for the Dec/Jan bill. I will be over the 2000kwh on night rate energia. by a good bit. Id say 1500 (current average for dec is 55kwh/night, will be about 1400 over)

If I were to calculate my "effective" night rate. That works out to be about 10.86/unit.

if it was 67 kwh /night, It would be 11.3c/kwh.

Still cheaper than oil!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

"Still cheaper than oil!" - that's all we need to hear!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Still better than oil

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Anyone have any experience of this company/tech. The website is a bit sales pitchy for my liking but they have interesting case studies.

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭con747

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

no updates since 2014 in that thread. would be great if someone posted on their experience . thanks

https://twitter.com/hone_energy/status/1504583594345439235 -- fella has solar panels , battery , heater and is off the grid , really house poorly insulated , standard radiators, he charges his car

https://honeworld.com/eng/portfolio/fixing-your-home/ -- great case study here including ber ratings step by step and costs of the project, all done in 5 days

LOL, not that one again 😂

They claim to get way more energy out of their panels than others because of some sort of nanotechnology, but they never go into the details. And then they use that house in Mayo as an example and it got an A1 rating but they don't really mention it has like hundreds of PV panels and thermal collectors? How's my memory? Is the owner a billionaire yet? 🤣

Well..

It ain't free.

If you throw enough money at a problem you can practically do anything. (Starting cost is 50k..)

What he's doing is really cool, solar thermal is much more efficient for generating heat than pv.

10 sets of tubes, a huge thermal store, 2*12kw SMA hybrid inverters. + Whatever panels to drive them say say 24kwp.. he ain't getting 20kw from whats on his roof.

Enough batteries for a week? 30-50kwh? It's 2 racks.

12 kw "Green" gas generator...

To top it all off a lock on the esb isolator when there's a changeover in the house! So that's his lock!

A high temperature heatpump would work well in his system too. Instead of that electric boiler.

@graememk - "12 kw "Green" gas generator..."

Ah I didn't remember that one. Burning stuff for heating when it's cold and the sun doesn't shine. Now there's the elephant in the room 😁

It's not even CHP! It's pure electric! Apparently it's only as a fail safe/backup to be able to disconnect the grid.

Elephant in the room :

He can't even get a FIT as inverters aren't grid tied!. Pros and cons there but I'm sure a 6kw inverter could be put somewhere on the grid side to pay for the standing charge 😂

It could be "free heat" if he didn't have to pay for it 😉.

Also, sidebar.

You don't need a well insulated house (A rated or whatever) for a heatpump to run efficiently.

What you do need is enough heat emitters (radiators/ufh/etc) to keep up at the heat loss.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Unfortunately the SEAI haven't copped on to this and still have the HLI requirement. No such impediment over in the UK and many successful HP installations there.

Relevant tweet; https://twitter.com/heatpolicyrich/status/1597914611268755456

Been looking into it, With a plumber friend. I should be able to drop a heat pump into my (I Know somewhat unique heating system) for minimal fuss and effort, change nothing else.

I am currently heating my house with the external tank and my stove. My stove is rated at 9.7kw to water on coal, 6,3kw on wood.. Im on turf so it will be somewhere in the middle.

Friend deals with Warmflo and Ecoforest Heat pumps, and the Eco forest are Propane (work better at higher temperatures) based ones. Apparently can link in with PV too, but id just want modbus/some sort of automation control. Id Say a 10kw heat pump would be plenty for me.

• Advertisement

Tight margins tomorrow! 😐

Looks like demand projected to peak at 6,809MW at 17:30 (all time record is 6,878MW, but there was more dispatchable generation back then in 2010).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭paulbok

Yeah that house was a good laugh, think it has 30-40 PV panels on the shed. Their big claim was that it got NZEB rating without adding any insulation

Turns out massive oversupply of energy makes things easy 😏

I think they claim to be 30% more efficient than regular thermal tubes. Let's say they're correct, is it worth it? Only seems to make sense if you're limited in roof space so you can get as much heat from the system as possible

@the_amazing_raisin - "Yeah that house was a good laugh, think it has 30-40 PV panels on the shed."

Hope you're not suggesting there is anything wrong with that? I'm going 44 panels myself soon. Small semi-D house in an estate in a Dublin suburb 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Apart from not insulating properly wants the issue?

6.96kwp South facing

Rough math, They have 2 12kw inverters. so 24 kw of inverters. And say 12kw of panels on each inverter.

thats 60-70 panels.

quick google show that solar thermal panels can get up to 90% efficiency... It really depends on what they are actually comparing it to.

https://www.viridiansolar.co.uk/resources-3-2-efficiency-of-solar-thermal-panels.html

But the important graph is this

Nothing wrong with it at all. Like I said, it's easy to be an NZEB building when you're generating a ton of free energy.

But it does make you wonder if those nanotechnology powered thermal tubes were having much of an effect, or if the PV was doing the vast majority of the work

That's my main issue, and the way it's done like a sales pitch. They're presenting the tubes as a way to get a high BER by just generating a ton of heat locally.

An overpowered system to compensate for huge losses isn't very efficient

It's more of a way to just game the energy ratings

At the end of the day it's just a more efficient thermal panel, with a higher price tag to match

The question is, is it worth paying the extra cost when for most people you could just install more panels and achieve the same effect

Also you've got what, 4 electric cars at the moment? I don't think you've a problem finding a use for the electricity you're generating 😉

3 but not using the Fluence Z.E. I should put it up for sale really. And the Red Arrow is used for only tiny miles for the 0.1% of the time both herself and myself need to use the main car. Which is doing close enough to 20k km per year, more than I've ever done despite both of us mostly WFH

Plan is to try charge the car almost exclusively from solar PV for most of the 5-6 "summer" months though.

• Advertisement

Took a look at the Eirgrid dashboard earlier and it looks like peak demand is forecast today at 6,879MW at 17.30

That's 1MW higher than the all time peak set in 2010

Renewable generation is not doing great at 9% of demand. Not surprisingly really, dense fog is the worst possible weather for renewables

I know there's going to be a bunch of gas bags on the news saying that this is why you can't have 100% renewables, but they seem to skip over the fact that this is a once a year event

Am I the only one who's sitting and thinking stuff like, why don't we invest is domestic biogas production and storage so that when we hit that difficult time of year when demand is high we have fuel available? Instead of having to beg the UK for some fossil gas or electricity

I don't think anyone realistically thinks we can get to 100% renewables all the time in our climate, but we could get there for most of the time and just have enough reserve for the times we can't

Advertisement