Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Ours has no front sensors, but don't really find it a problem. The Ioniq 5 has a big square visible bonnet and you quickly get a feel of distances. The car itself is not that long so parallel parking is not difficult.

However I find it more difficult to judge front distances on my rounded sloping Model 3 front. Thankfully it has front sensors with distance read out. Often I think I am near touching when I still have 0.3 Meter or so clear.🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Thanks, coming from an A4 which is somewhat sloping and rounded too, I can park that with my eyes closed but I guess I've just gotten very comfortable (maybe lazy) relying on the front sensors to not swipe the corner. Good point about the bonnet being very square on the Ioniq5 so I'm sure I'll be grand.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Yeah, much more so than the rear end. I haven't clipped anything yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Anybody try Snow Mode this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,082 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sorry I meant to reply to this last week.

I moved from a 2021 1.5 TSI Karoq to the Ioniq 5. No comparison between both. The Ioniq 5 is bigger, more comfortable, faster acceleration and cheaper to run.

I sold my ID3 and got a 2017 Ioniq. There was no need for the ID3 anymore as it's a second car and only used for about 20KM per day so range is perfect for me.

• Advertisement

Did you get an answer to this after? I emailed and they just said to sign up online.

My card arrived after 3-4 days so handy to have a card that covers most chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

I have a Tesla Model Y RWD on order for Feb 2022 but im starting to sway towards the bass model (Executive) Ioniq 5.

Its approx €10k cheaper and I dont feel like im missing out on anything. Test drove the Ioniq and it felt great. Tech wise things felt similar while 384km range is fine for what I need.

I dont see many bass model 5 comparisons to the RHD Y but wondering am i missing something ? Cars seem pretty similar to me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭podge1979

Naa I got the same response by mail, out of the country at the moment so don't know if a card arrived or not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

No worries. How would you compare the ownership experience of the Ioniq 5 and ID3?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Anyone having issues with Bluelink these days? Probably something wrong with my cars connection to the net but noticed after the recall to the dealer to get the parking brake firmware update it went flaky - this past month now it does not work at all - if I try to reset Bluelink in the car or push any button related to bluelink while in the car (i.e. not using my phone app) I get the attached pic. Anyone know if the car has a sim card in it and where it is? I brought to the dealer but they are not familair with this issue at all and need to get back to me.

• Advertisement

The missus has an Executive and loves it. However she has had a look at the Model Y recently (Did not drive one yet). She has driven my Model 3 a good few times and loves the simplicity and clarity of the screen, ease of autopilot and regular updates. She liked the extra height of the Y, even over the Ioniq 5.

Both cars are well equipped, but the Model Y definitely has more as standard; It includes Heat Pump, Double Glazing, Electric seats and steering wheel adjustment (With memory linked to your phone), leather and generally a softer touch interior. Boot and frunk seem far larger in the Tesla, but perhaps back seat more comfy in the Hyundai. (Subjective). Far better sound system on the Tesla also.

Range will probably be similar enough between the two, with perhaps the Tesla having the edge with better efficiency and the Heat pump.

Both excellent cars, is the Tesla worth 10K more? I don't know..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭denismc

To get the Ionity premium subscription you have to log in to "chargemyhyundai" in a web browser, not the app.

There is only one option, 12 months at 13 euro/month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭denismc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

I thought there was a bigger difference in price than 10k between the base ioniq 5 and the tesla Y?

I'm the opposite to you in that I have an executive plus to pick up in Jan but wondering if I should have gone with the model Y. The fact that I am buying the car outright brings things back into prospective a bit as I could use the 8k on stuff for the house instead of the Tesla upgrade and I think the ioniq 5 is a much better looking car.

Great description by Eagerv - ... Yes only €10k, €42k v approx €53K. Im was swaying to the Tesla but with Elon's antics id kinda rather the Ioniq.

I didn't mention in my post #3582 above re servicing and repairs. Our Ioniq 5 and Model 3 have both required two minor warranty works in the past year. With the Tesla was so simple, Ranger called to our house at a time convenient for us. All arranged via app. Hyundai require car for the day to diagnose, then another day to fix in many cases. The recent case for my wife meant she had to leave car in previous evening and collect the next late afternoon using public transport and a taxi (I was out of country). She is still waiting for part (Gear selector sticking). The other case for my wife was software related, they still needed car for the day to do updates. With Tesla that would have been carried out remotely.

Our Ioniq is also due a service in early Jan next year. We will check carefully the price before leaving in, will check a few dealers if necessary. There is literally nothing to be done, they have already updated the latest software. She is a bit fussy with her car, wont even let them wash it 😊. With the Tesla there is no servicing schedule, they encourage you to do routine bits yourself such as air filter at €20, reasonably priced good quality branded wiper blades etc.

Just in case people think I am being a bit hard on Hyundai over my last few points, I'm not. Just pointing out a few things imo Tesla do better.

The Ioniq 5 is a great car, punches well above it's price point, which was about €38K incl paint when we bought in January. Was out today with the missus in her car and was surprised to see under 20kWh/100km, normal roads with heating on at 20c. Suspension and refinement is superb, especially with the 19" wheels with a large amount of rubber.

Post edited by eagerv on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

The supercharging network is a big selling point for me, would find it hard to walk away from that into a queue with 10 other cars for one 50kw Ecars

• Advertisement

Absolutely. I have a last minute trip to Belfast in morning from SW Co Wexford in my Model 3. Haven't even thought about charging. Will have enough to get to many Superchargers en route so will let the car decide..

Not EV related. Just the whole Twitter takeover and his behaviour around it. Laying thousands of folks off and slagging them off publicly yada yada..

He's a hard Man to figure out at times, but I think making Twitter more open is a good thing, censoring speech is wrong. I see it here on boards all the time, I was permanently banned from the cycling forum here on boards for talking about electric bikes because some cycling purists complained to a die hard cycling purist Moderator who deemed it suitable that I never again be allowed near the cycling threads or at least one of them can't remember now, yes sure it's all rather silly and sometimes funny until it keeps happening, this suppression of speech causes a lot of frustration and People get tired of being shut down all the time on various platforms.

Ioniq 5 lessoned learned in freezing weather.

Front parking camera location not optimal as all the ice gathers at the top of the grill under the overlap of the hood covering the camera an inch lower would have been better.

Need anti screen window screen wash it never tawded out on a two our night trip ( no engine heat).

Don't go over 110 range plummets

What's anti screen screen wash ? I forgot to put anti freeze in my washer bottle and driving up the N7 the other morning and back as not fun.

Today I will go to halfords to get antifreeze screen wash because it didn't freeze here in Carlow last night as it barely got to 0 despite some places getting to -7 so I'm lucky I can empty out the water and replace it with anti freeze, I thought it would be frozen for days. No frost at all here today.

I'm still getting decent range in the id3 tour 5 at 120, suppose it's smaller, less boxy. But the cold does have an impact alright.

Yeah won't be signing up to it only makes sense if you use ionity charges at least once a week. I'd only use them every few months.

13 euro a year initially was a little unbelievable alright ☺️

When I had the ID3 I worked out that taking on around 50KW a month was the break even point on the monthly We Charge subscription if only using Ionity.

Looking at the Charge My Hyundai you'd need to charge at Ionity for 28KW per month to break even - €13/(73c-27c).

27C is a crazy cheap rate for Ionity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Dropped into Hutton & Meade for a look at the Ioniq yesterday. One annoying thing which should probably go into a rant thread of its own - Saturday is surely the main day for family buyers and test drives, plus footfall to showrooms to actually see and touch the products. Why then do dealers give their flagship vehicles to sales managers to *keep at home at the weekend*???

Asked about availability of Exec/Exec plus models - nothing in Ireland until April if you're lucky. Disappointed with that.

Also on the road price of €41,695 for an Executive and to go toe-to-toe with a Model Y it looks like you need to get to Premium LE 77 level spec on the Ioniq 5 which effectively means price parity.

Rear space is a chunk smaller than the MY, and not so much in pure centimetre terms, but the seat orientation, height, and not being able to slip the feet under the seat in front - I think Hyundai have missed a trick here. Anyway, somewhat moot as I'll never sit in the rear of my own Ioniq and will almost never carry adult passengers so it's less important I guess.

Hoping to get one on the road for a spin early next week.

• Advertisement

Was hoping someone would do the maths for me, you have me having 2nd thoughts now 🤔

Advertisement