Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gun: Maverick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

If she looked like Jennifer Connelly I probably would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭breadmond

I've seen a few ex Navy Pilots say that that's a real thing that happens in Navy bars, you break the rules you buy a round for the whole bar!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finally caught this; $1.4 billion in the box-office, that's significant. There surely MUST be conversations happening in Hollywood about why this has blown the doors off so spectacularly. At this stage, even the most craven CEOs must notice that audiences flock to feats of daring-do and action that's crunchy, tangible. How many John Wicks or Mission Impossibles or Top Gun: Mavericks does it take before they notice that adult audiences want to be astounded by physicality, not rubbery CGI?

The plot was almost gleefully boilerplate, while in an attempt to stay apolitical, the script positively busted at the seams trying to keep its antagonist nameless (to the extent that enemy pilots' visors were tinted, to hide the ethnicity), but. But but but. The impact and physicality of those action set-pieces were totally unparalleled - and genuinely breathtaking in places. Joseph Kosinski has quickly proved himself a director with deep fluency in the visual language of blockbuster cinema. Proof that not all those working at that altitude in Hollywood are gormless point-and-shoot indie types out of their depth. Just from a technical point of view, the cockpit scenes were a minor filmmaking miracle, but Kosinski never let it become incoherent or chaotic. Never let the lightning escape the bottle. In the best tradition of films with a muscular approach to vehicular action, dating back to the days of John Frankenheimer's 1966 Grand Prix, the white-knuckle scenes were married to confident discipline.

This was a film that reminded me of those days I'd watch a film and think to myself: how on earth did they do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

There’s very good reasons for it. There’s no two seater F35. So you’re loosing the Wizzo. There’s also no actors being filmed in the air. And even if you insisted on the F35 and went CGI, those great in cockpit shots from the hornets would now just look shite as you’d be looking back at dramatic vista of the lightnings bulkhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'm a fan of Cruise and never really gave a **** about his personal life, so was delighted this film did so well.

Having watched it today it's a technical phenom but I was more interested in the story. It was OK but elevated by this intangible that Cruise always brings. There's nothing special about it on paper but it works.

It's like a Marvel film that you enjoy but won't think about much afterwards, only difference is that Cruise proved here why he's such a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Absolute Cheese Fest ... I loved every goddam maverick minute of it.

Dripping with innuendo and more cringe and goosepimples than meeting your teenage gay stage lover at your wife's birthday party and having to introduce him to the kids.

Stupendous.

" It's what my Dad wudda Done "..... I yelped with cringeful joy, almost a minor orgasm.

Top tastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That was just amazingly good, that is how you do a blockbuster, no better leading man for one than Tom Cruise.

I love the 80's and the original is one of my earliest childhood memories of the roar of f14's ripping through the sky, but that was even better than the first. Cheesy, predictable but so much fun, I'm seriously considering throwing it on again later.

When they broke out the F14 at the end I got giddy.

CGI be damned give me this, Mission Impossible, John Wick, Mad Max. Just pure full on action

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I watched this in the last couple weeks. I never saw the original top gun and I didn't even know what this movie was about but I heard the hype.

It is watchable but probably only because it contains Tom Cruise.

The storyline is very weak and very predictable. You always knew the two "enemies" at the start would end with them making it up. Hangman, the "cocky bellend" repairs his reputation by saving them at the end out of nowhere.

The love story part of it didn't add anything at all. I'm guessing Maverick and the woman had a thing in the original?

The whole thing actually came across like propaganda for the military.

"I'm guessing Maverick and the woman had a thing in the original?"

Yes, but she was blonde then and was a fighter pilot instructure before falling back on the bar job.

The first TG film was a great recruiter for the US military.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Different character in Top Gun, played by Kelly McGillis.

Jennifer Connolly's character was briefly mentioned as an Admirals daughter in Top Gun, but never appeared as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Correct, she is referenced as the Admirals daughter in TG1 but never actually in the film.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Slightly bemused by its high ratings and success. I heard from many angles that it's good. I was told it was a total cheese-fest and it just owns that.

Even with those expectations; cheesey films... aren't great though, are they?

I found it mildly enjoyable but I wouldn't be rushing back to a sequel. Probably give it 5/10 or 6/10. Disappointed compared to the ten or so people telling me it's a 9/10.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Easily 10/10 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Just got the 4k Blu Ray of Top Gun Maverick.

Its a shame we didn't get an extended cut of the film with more flight footage or much in the way of extras most of which had already been on youtube.

I wonder are they holding stuff back for a future DVD/Blu Ray release ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Apparently it's one of the best 4K releases yet? I don't have any 4K discs, my Blu-ray collection is a small selection of my favourite movies so this would make a good 4K addition.

I'd consider 1080p Blu-ray to look better than 4K streaming so I can only imagine how good a 4K disc looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

National Board of Review Best Film

I wouldn't stream this. Though admittedly, I rarely stream anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Some critic not even thinking the film is worthy of a top 10 of the year catching a bit of heat

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Deleted said already

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I've a few blurays of my favorite movies. I've even got a few 4k discs as it was the cheapest way to get the 1080 copy. But I've no 4k player. I do seek out the 4k on streaming. But a others have said streaming quality can be bad. I'm not sure I want to invest in a 4k player.

It's Maverick still in the cinema anywhere? Last I checked it seemed to be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It's in the Lighthouse in Smithfield today and tomorrow. Not sure about other cinemas but I do know it was coming back in other countries this month. Must be trying to get $1.5b at the box office.

Cheers, I might have to hope its somewhere else later.

I have both the 4k blu ray and the 1080p blu ray.

I watched both versions on my old plasma 1080p TV.

The 4k version actually looks significantly better on my 1080p plasma TV than the 1080p version of the film and I wasn't expecting to see much difference.

I read somewhere that 4k blu rays can look better on 1080p screens because the 4k format uses much better compression than the old blu rays.

The only disadvantage of the 4k blu ray is that you get a darker image which you see on all 4k blu rays.

The darker image thing really puts me off the the 4k format.

I only bought the 4k of Top Gun because its a big film but for most films standard blu ray is my format of choice.

Post edited by Big Gerry on

Is the dark IQ to do with HDR?

• Advertisement

If you compare the standard blu ray with the 4k blu ray some scenes look very different.

Like when Maverick is in the Generals office on the 4k version the scene is only half lit up but on the standard blu ray you get about double the brightness in that scene.

Advertisement