Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The madness of Irish people pushing this is beyond me, when it's a very cultural thing here to ask people where they are from. Go to Dublin as a non Dub and you'll be asked where you're from, go to the UK as an Irish person and you'll be asked where you're from. All those are fine, yet if you ask anyone who's not white the same thing, then it's suddenly racism?

I know when I ask the question, no matter the race of the person, it's a way to start a conversation and nothing more. These people are once again trying to turn something normal into something sinister just to score some points against an institution that they hate.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I think the quote in your signature is apt here, both in the manufactured racism saga with Meghan and the case against the Royal Family member, too.

The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill -- he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.

― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'm always a bit wary also of perfect, verbatim recollection of conversations.

Unless Marlene Headley / Ngozi Fulani recorded it, which opens up an entirely different can of worms. I think ultimately this will backfire on her, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Augme

The Royal Family weren't wary at all though and they were very quick to get rid of her. Unlikely she doesn't have a bit of a track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Just sped watched the first 3 episodes.

In fairness the hype was just that- hype. And I would recommend those contributing to the thread to watch it, as a lot of the newspapers have just written sensationalist stories, especially the Daily Mail, which don’t at all reflect the documentary.

Firstly it’s definitely better than that sh1t show that was the Oprah interview.

Her mum comes across as lovely.

The description of what happened with her dad is just sad- I don’t know will any of us know the full truth on that story.

Harry had a happy childhood overall but I can see and understand his perspective and resentment of the press and the paparazzi

There’s a few black journalists and writers contributing to it and they have quite reasoned arguments and interesting things to say- it’s certainly not over the top views by any means.

The documentary so far has certainly put them across as “human”.

Unconscious bias does feature as a theme throughout episode 2 and 3 in particular.

It’s no bad thing and frankly I do think the royal family are worse off not having Meaghan as part of their working team, especially now, where there are a lot more questions around just what made Brittan great and what counties and people suffered in order to create this greatness- there’s a tidal wave of change coming in Britain on that subject -and the RF have essentially lost out by not having Meaghan there to help indeed, the whole family, address and respond appropriately to this new lens that Brittan is being looked through.

If there’s “juicy bits” then it’s episodes 4-6 that will have them as there’s nothing at all controversial in episodes 1-3- so ignore the papers saying “William is furious” - if he is, it’s not because of Episodes 1-3.

• Advertisement

It's called cancel culture; they felt pressurized to get rid of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,147 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It isn't.

It's being a racist shít head whilst performing your job.

Try it in your job Monday and see how you get on. 👍️

Meghan is a proven liar. The woman cannot stop lying, and has been called out many times on her lies.

Yet you've just given her a free pass! You seem to assume that what was spoken in the documentary must somehow be true, because Meghan said it.

Precedent suggests we should take anything Meghan says and then believe the exact opposite. You're far more likely to ascertain the truth that way.

Royal Editor Robert Jobson has done a superb job in recent days exposing the many lies and falsehoods riddled throughout this documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Great stuff, a pile on on an octogenarian woman and lets remove the presumption of innocence from her while we're at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I've asked dozens of taxi drivers where they are from and they were always happy to tell me. It opens up conversation.. Get some life experience ffs👍

• Advertisement

Same.

And I've been asked it many times, and I've never taken offense either.

Good for you. Can't see how it is relevant to someone being a racist shít at work though. 👍️

It was the RF who fired the racist ould coote.

“Racism has no place in our society," Prince William's Kensington Palace office said in a statement. 

“These comments were unacceptable, and it’s right that the individual has stepped aside with immediate effect.”

Did they pile on or did they just get fed up with this haunted racist and eventually with Lizzie gone get rid of her.

An 80+ year old woman was deliberately set up by someone wearing African-style clothing.

And despite that clear set-up, the only tiny thing she managed to get out of the woman was, "Where are you from?".

And you are referring to the set-up woman as a "racist sh*t".

The left have lost the plot.

But let's not forget, they are the side of empathy, compassion, and understanding!

That's a figment of your imagination, you hardly think it will be entertained do you?

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

Some of the footage used of the mobs of papperazi weren't even of them it was Katie Price being swarmed. The curtsy mocking was just plain rude. The queen was head of state and as such deserved respect. In the white house if the president stands you stand too. Doesn't matter if you like them or not it's respect for the office they hold. Its like when people cover their shoulders to visit the vatican. And this whole thing of nobody told poor Meghan any of this is complete codswallop. The royal family gave her a protocol advisor. The fact that she thought that the rules didn't apply to her is more on her than them. There are lots of examples of her ignoring protocol/dress code to suit herself.

Fulani clearly is very proud of her culture and she wants everyone to know it. But on this one occasion she's as English pie and mash.

And Fulani uses an African name for the headlines, but otherwise changed her name to Marlene Headley.

It turns out she doesn't have African heritage, either:

We now know that Ngozi Fulani changed her name from Marlene Headley. It turns out that she is not strictly of African origin, either. Despite claiming to be proud of her African heritage, and often appearing in public in traditional African dress, her family came to Britain from the Caribbean.

She manipulated her way into that event to target that 80-year old over a non-racist question, then lies to the media afterward.

And her organization is funded by BLM, too.

Isn't there a forum that caters for conspiracy theories?

Again I think the future King summed it up perfectly.

“Racism has no place in our society," Prince William's Kensington Palace office said in a statement. 

“These comments were unacceptable, and it’s right that the individual has stepped aside with immediate effect.”

It doesn't matter what Kensington Palace says. They don't want drama, I'm unsurprised they've gone down this path.

This was a stitch-up. That octogenarian said nothing wrong.

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter what Kensington Palace says.

I think you will find it does, what doesn't matter is some anonymous lad on the internet spouting unfounded conspiracy theories.

🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I totally see your point but I think it's a little blinkered. Asking someone "Where you're from?" Is a quick means of discovering people in common, of finding where the person you are speaking to lies on the scale of complete stranger to shared friends but unknown to each other. Now for Irish emigrés in particular, that's a very important strand of making connections when we are/were away. That's taking a somewhat parochial view of it.

I do think in today's ever shrinking and more multi-cultural world, that the "where are you from" question can quickly become tiresome for the responder and even triggering.

That doesn't mean the person asking the question is racist tho. It more points to perhaps we need a new ice-breaker question when we meet new people. It means that the responder is answering the question based on their cultural experience of what that question means and probably seeing it as exclusionary.

Now on the topic of the RF and in particular Lady Hussey. She has played this game long enough to know how it works. She dug a hole for herself.

The responder in that instance went with a recorder, and a pre-conceived and indeed voiced notion of the RF as racist. Any weight afforded to her offence, must be balanced by the motivations behind why she'd do such a thing.

No. She's not African, she's American of African descent. I'm not aware of African Americans who routinely sport lip-plates and engage in tribal dance.

A confident thoughtful journalist with a positive impact on US society. No need to skin bleach, straighten hair or get a nose job. Markle is so damaged she wants to pull everyone to the level of naval gazing world.

Did you actually watch the programme? Apparently not and also you’re getting your own news from Morgan and the UK tabloids - I think it’s you that needs to watch how you draw your conclusions not me.

The documentary so far has nothing to write home about- it’s obvious they’re building a new life in America and this show is all for an American audience and has heaps of messages around unconscious bias which is evidently going to be one of their key focuses in public life for the foreseeable future.

FYI- I can well criticise both H&M when I want to but didn’t feel compelled as a result of watching this documentary - sorry to disappoint you but I’m not a sheep -I won’t criticise the couple at every opportunity just for the sake of it- very happy to agree with them on some things and disagree on other aspects - something thankfully a few other posters on this thread also have the ability to do

If an Irish person moved to Saudi Arabia for 10-years and gained citizenship to that country, and people still came up to them and asked, "Where are you from?", would that be a racist question!? If Prince Salman came up to that Irish person at a mocktail party and asked, "Where are you from?", would it make worldwide news as racism?

The answer to those questions is quite clearly no.

Look, yet again the party of the permanently offended look for problems where they simply do not exist.

Had the royal said, "Go back to your country!", you'd have a point. But she didn't say that, so you don't have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Clearly, you read and understood the entirety of my post 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♂️

How did you come to the conclusion that the "show is all for an American audience"?

Harry is more famous in the UK than Meghan is in the US. He's a Prince of the Royal Family. Of course its going to appeal to British more than American audiences. Nobody gives a rats ass about them over there.

I’d actually have more pity for the dotty old dame at that palace reception a few weeks ago than I’d ever have for Princess Michel of Kent wearing the Blackamoor brooch.

The dotty Dame was just doing what dotty Dames have done all along-ask people stupid questions like where are they from - the way she did it was total cringe but I don’t believe any offence at all was intended.

But Princess Michael was definitely stirring the sh1te- she’s been called in the past more royal than the royals themselves- this was one up menship and a way for her to put down Meagan in her place - I mean how else can you explain this? You’re getting ready to go to a reception where you’ll meet a mixed race new in law relative and what do you do? You say, I know I’ll wear a Blackamoor brooch - don’t for a second believe that was inadvertent - it was totally deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Princess Michael has an interesting family history!

• Advertisement

Because I watched it and came to that conclusion all by my little self- didn’t need Piers Morgan to tell me what to think. But if you care to have a glance at some online UK newspaper articles you’ll find that there are some journalists coming to the same conclusion also.

Advertisement