Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I mentioned further up that around 40% of global refugees have never actually held a passport. They are frequently living in third world countries and in poverty and would normally have absolutely no reason to leave their country - until whatever it is that has gone wrong locally has forced them out of their country. It's a bit tone deaf to be saying "you cannot be a genuine refugee unless you have a passport".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

A factory reset phone is a massive red flag to boarder control even no texts is. You ever watch the Aus or Canada shows about the boarders. The odds you having a wallet full of cards with your name on them and not being your name is minimal. You check the name on the manifest of the flight simple. If it's not on it then that's a massive red flag.

This is my point I would be keeping all my documents to hand to get through the system the fastest possible way if I was seeking asylum. It's not the same as walking over a border claiming it you could be genuine at that stage. But not off a flight with no documentation. I have No idea how people cant see that as a red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But international refugee and asylum laws say nothing about people having or not having documentation on them. Having a passport on you doesn't make you a genuine refugee or asylum seeker and not having documentation on you doesn't mean you are not bona fide.

I suspect this whole passport / ID thing is a red herring and a distraction. Many of the so called 'bogus' asylum seekers out there are actually carrying passports when they make an asylum claim.

True but how do you get on a flight. It's not the same as walking over a border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Why do you think I have to prove anything to anyone?

That’s like me suggesting if you’re so concerned about patrolling our borders, off you go with your little sheriffs badge and your notebook and head to Dublin, Cork or Shannon airport, or whatever port you fancy, and harass passengers. Anyone asks you who you are sure you can tell them it’s none of their concern… see how that works out for you 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

People are paid and trained to do that though. Watch any border control shows as soon as your cagey they assume your up to something there is no innocence presumed. The lad in Dublin airport is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Anyone see the "United Against Racism" protest with Chu and co? There's a picture of them standing with two signs, one saying "refugees welcome", the other "housing for all". If ever there was a picture that highlighted the absurdity of modern activism, that was it. Two positions at conflict, yet those holding the signs somehow don't see how those views are at conflict, even though it should be completely obvious.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

So how do they board multiple planes?

Speaking about those that arrive here specifically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

so if someone arrives having destroyed their documents we can send them back to somewhere without a passport? is that an option currently? pretty sure it isn't, therefore, like it or not, we don't have a choice but to give them shelter.

i think they blocked the tunnel twice for an hour or so, the other day there was about 15 of them trying to stop the traffic at Busarus. It fizzled out to nothing. The people at these things had Irish Lives Matter and WEP Great Replacement signs. I can assure you those ones are not locals of East Wall. Seems most people don't care enough or are too busy to protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

You can of course substantiate your claims that the people at the port tunnel are non-local and all represent fringe groups?

If not, your assurances are of little consequence ‘Monk’..

so you think the locals in east wall just happened to be the people who also think that the world economic forum are trying to replace us all?

you don't think it's fringe groups who believe in this great replacement stuff? i am 100% expecting to not get a straight answer on this one.

you don't need to put my boards handle in quotes like that all the time, you know people don't use their real names on sites like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

This is precisely what the Guards were doing up until just before Covid.

You have been badly shown up on this thread,you are clueless.

This is one link,there are lots of other ones.

yeah but they still had their applications processed no, which means they were here for a while and looked after to some extent? badly shown up how? all i'm saying is that i don't think you can just put someone back on a plane if they destroy their documents on board and no one has been able to prove otherwise, you have to keep them in state care for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

An Egyptian fella stabbed a few people in Dundalk a few years ago, killing a Japanese lad. The cops had spoken to him the day before n told him to make his way to Dublin n himself known to the immigration department.

He didn't bother n went on a stabbing spree instead. I would have thought that the cops would have had to bring yer man down to immigration n get him processed but obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Definitely massive issues and important that politicians are raising them and I wish there was an adult conversation about it from the powers that be. But when in the middle of it McGrath basically spouts some guff about the replacement theory he loses his credibility tbh. Just a ridiculous notion

You made the claim that everybody at the port tunnel protests are non-local and represent fringe groups. Can you back your statement please?

I have no idea what motivates those fringe groups, nor have I scrutinized their manifestos. You know why ‘Monk’? I’m too busy working and spending time with my family. You should try it some time, instead of wasting your life posting copious volumes of unsubstantiated drivel here..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

I went to a club in Croydon London the guts of 10 years ago. There was a lot of gang violence in the area n to get in you had your passport/ drivers license scanned while a retina scan of your eye was done. I'd say each person done in 15 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Why is it irrelevant? If it was irrelevant why do so many countries insist on it as a precondition of your entry to their country?

You’ve only deemed it “irrelevant” because you have nothing to say for yourself.

yeah so me having lived in London since last summer and coming back in February means I can't have an opinion, not really fair is it seen as I grew up on northside of Dublin! I'll be coming back unvetted too, who knows what I've been up to over here. And I'll be living around the corner from the lovely gentlemen in East Wall.

where did I say take em all in? i couldn't care less how many we take in. My point for the last few pages was only to point out I don't think you can put someone who has destroyed their passport back onto a plane. This makes me some kind of bleeding heart unlimited open borders person apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Would anyone here bet on the accuracy of stuff like this?

These are political groups with vested interests conducting polling about topics where they've a great bias. This wouldn't be tolerated in most spheres, but when it comes to the NGO class we're meant to just treat their work as being both honest and rigorous, and ignore the obvious bias that they have.

Discontent with the Direct Provision System remains high with 64% of people agreeing that those in the system experience racism and discrimination, while 68% believe that the Government should "set a clear date to end Direct Provision".

If you read the article, it's hard not to conclude that a very particular type of person was likely polled and not your average Irish person.

"It is clear from our poll that the Irish Public wish to see an end to the unjust system of Direct Provision. We believe it is time that the State takes every opportunity to embed a culture of anti-racism in all areas of Irish society", she said.

"Polling exists to persuade and not inform", is something I can't disagree with, especially when they are clearly using polling as such to get outcomes that they want.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Re-read your post ‘Monk’ or perhaps try to edit it for clarity if that’s in your wheelhouse? I’ll leave it there, before you descend further into irrationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In a shocking twist some of the asylum seekers in the ESB building are not happy with the presence of unvetted males of unknown origin and dubious provenance and wish to join the east wall protest, thus revealing themselves to be far right extremists 😂

Expect the normal fawning coverage from certain quarters for asylum seekers to be hastily withdrawn when it comes to these women

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/inside-east-wall-refugee-centre-28689129

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

Unless immigration control are at the steps of each plane, retracing steps will prove difficult. Dublin airport immigration were doing this back in 2020 and earlier, with a focus of flights from Georgia and Albania and subsequently deportations were occurring on next flight to country of origin. This action was considered unlawful and has now ceased to my knowledge, though stand corrected.

As of 2021, asylum seekers can now open a bank account even if they travelled with fake documents or mislaid ID, with a Temporary Residence Certificates or a Stamp4 Irish Residency Permit. Clearly, standards have dropped significantly and the increase in arriving with no ID reflects that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭deirdremf

the same cohort of myopic ‘contributors’ are still implying that there isn’t a shortage of accommodation, due to the surge of non-Ukrainian asylum applications.

I think you've got it wrong there. The shortage of accommodation is (apart from government policies over the last two decades) due precisely to tbe Ukrainian refugees. They took up all the available space. The government was even housing them in people's spare bedrooms if you remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Damien360

How can you open a back account with a made up ID, albeit a state given one ? I had to open back accounts for my teenage kids about 4 years ago in the same bank that I have a mortgage for my home in. You wouldn’t believe the hoops I had to jump through to open their accounts in their own names.

As for waiting at the steps of a plane. There is a vast amount of cctv in the airport. It might take a few hours to 100% identify an individual but it wouldn’t be that difficult.

I’m curious which entity made the checks unlawful. Surely under the umbrella of national and EU security, it would be perfectly allowable to secure your borders. If you remember the height of the Brexit debate, border checks to NI were to be considered and required by the EU to secure European borders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

The governments latest initiative to pay homeowners 800 euros to give their spare room to Ukrainians is so poorly thought out, its baffling. Almost immediately following announcement of said initiative, students and singles were on social media looking for rooms, having been given notice to leave - their 400/500 euros rent immediately outmatched by the government payment.

Advertisement