Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

1. The fai are 60m in debt because it was grossly mismanaged

2. You told me to check the sport Ireland numbers and I did - I picked these random years and in each one the FAI got more than the gaa

2015: https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2015/0415/694285-7-4m-funding-for-fai-gaa-and-irfu/

2014:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/fai-gaa-and-irfu-see-sports-council-funding-cut-by-5-1.1764313

2011: https://www.sportireland.ie/news/irish-sports-council-announces-2011-funding-for-gaa-fai-irfu

2010:

https://www.sportireland.ie/news/minister-hanafin-announces-2010-isc-funding-for-gaa-fai-irfu

2009: https://www.sportireland.ie/news/participation-irish-sports-council-announces-2009-funding-for-gaa-fai-irfu

You can check a few others if you want and come back if you find any actual evidence. Basically the loi is in its current state because of the fai, nothing to do with the gaa

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Kevin Reynolds might disagree with you on the Prime Time bit of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Two opinions:

• I am tired of the line of "people and families wondering how they're going to put food on the table this winter". This isn't the 15th century and we've had a bad harvest and the peasantry will be dying off in droves. Yes, food has become expensive, to a point. But you can go out and still buy a lot of ingredients in bulk. This line that people won't be able to eat in this country. Look around, no one is starving, if anything we're the opposite.
    • A lot of girls are pillow queens and men are generally left doing the spade work as it were. While sex is great and enjoyable a lot of men like to be cared for and feel their partner is just as involved in the act. Having to dictate the flow of positions, what next, is a big turn off and all it would take to spice up things in the bedroom would be taking control.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The Real President Trump

Participation and spontaneity isn't a big ask but lots of women are lazy in bed.

A golden piece of information I garnered when younger was "Lazy in bed Lazy in life" rings true to this day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Funny how the houses that go overboard on lights and decorations are in places you'd least expect would be able to afford them.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

My point is that able bodied people who do not work are not vulnerable.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It's like when you see someone look at a little handicapped and go "Ooh, look at him, he's not able-bodied. I am, I'm prejudiced." Yeah, well, at least the little handicapped fella is able-minded. Unless he's not, it's difficult to tell with the wheelchair ones. Just give generously to them all.

And my point is that you can't tell by looking whether someone is able bodied or not. Better someone gets when they really shouldn't than someone who needs is unfairly deprived. Err on the side of caution. The UK tried to make people prove they were unable to work or they were removed from benefits. The result ? People died, forced to work when they couldn't because a pen pusher somewhere decided that for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Any person should be able to start a full social welfare and revenue investigation on any person who asks them for a light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

Ukraine asked for it,, and it's just the Cuban missile crisis in reverse.

Back in the day Russia wanted to place missiles in Cuba,, and we had a big stand off, NATO on one side and Russia on the other.

In the end Russia shipped the missiles back home, and No WW3 = Happy

Now it is NATO that want to put missiles in Ukraine, right on Russia's west border. So Ukraine just said ok, send them over but we need some money in aid first. And we are all shocked when Russia finds a backbone..

This is my controversial opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

I saw a great doc about feuding traveller families and bareknuckle boxing.

It's stressful having to live in that world. Even one of the bareknuckle boxing champion said he wanted to stop but never seemed able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's nothing to commend this almost 19th century lifestyle. They are a pity.

Honour culture, strict social order, fighting, alcohol and animal abuse. The lucky ones get educated and get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There are convincing arguments for eugenics.

Completing a marathon isn't that much of an achievement. It's just running, and if you spend enough time training, getting hours into your legs, you will complete it. if you put one foot in front of the other long enough/often enough you will comete a marathon. It's a measure of how much spare time you have really to train really. I make an exception for people who get decent times or consistently beat their times

I would put competing in almost any sport (solo or team) above simply completing a marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mismanagement is one thing.

but the sport not getting a fair craic of the whip in the first place is another. Obviously you’d ignore that.

interesting that you just pulled the FAI..

athletics, cricket and many other sports here are chronically underfunded….

you’ve been given the sport Ireland funding numbers, you are ignoring them.

Irish Olympians have in the recent past been refused funding. Walker Thomas Griffin was one.

I just mentioned the fai because your first post claimed that they were throwing money at the gaa and the loi was underfunded - which is incorrect. Or I should say the fai chooses not to invest in their own league

You're moving the goalposts now

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It simply isn’t incorrect.

money is thrown at the GAA and for the participation and interests in soccer, yes it is underfunded. Tennis, athletics , golf, cricket and so on the same…..

investment is needed in those sports to improve them. Facilities admin, spectator / match day and training facilities…

GAA have significant revenue streams that the likes of those aforementioned sports don’t enjoy. So they don’t ‘need’ the taxpayers kicking in so much… So they should be paying their own way more…I don’t say give nothing, I say spread the wealth…. instead of the GAA repeatedly cap in hand to us taxpayers, again…

Irish Cricket team has been granted test status, we are now ranked in the top 10 sides in the world also. Participation levels here grew almost 100% in the preceding decade to this one…. We are seen as viable and competitive on the world stage as shown by the willingness and even demand of England, Pakistan, Australia, West Indies, India to come here with their first choice elevens and play us in multiple formats.

yet… this stranglehold the GAA have… Government funding of €29.8M, commercial income from two All-Ireland championships of €26.2M, and gate receipts of €11.7M.

Over the course of 2020 and 2021, the GAA received €48.2M in direct Rescue Funding from the Government. That is according to their statement.

They told the media as follows…

"The GAA prides itself on its self-sufficiency," said GAA Director General, Tom Ryan.

"That is true at all levels of the organisation, from Club to Central Council.”

somewhat hypocritical… somewhat cutehoorisim and talking out of both sides of their mouth. It comes second nature.

we are self sufficient but we’ll have tens of millions of taxpayers cash.

like a millionaire going to the bank for a car loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Lionel Messi is actually a bit of a gobsh*te. He also dives a lot, fully in the knowledge that refs will give him frees. He doesnt get criticised for anything he does because pundits dislike ronaldo so much, and want messi to be the antidote to him.

There is also a dodgey parallel with barcelona administering him with steroids as a child, and the whole team sky doping loophole that warrants more objective exploration I feel. They were employing some very questionable people in that area when this was taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Surprise surprise, one person who has done a marathon doesn’t agree.

I think it shows determination, strength of character, ability to follow through, time management because long training takes up a huge amount of time. Solo running is tough - playing on a team, with your team mates to encourage and provide friendship not so tough. Horses for courses - as I up my training for the next race -I have a family, run a business, study for a degree - I think that takes mental toughness, strength and determination and a willingness to dig deep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

The last 10k of a marathon is somewhere in the 9th circle of hell. I say hats off to anyone who does it regardless of their time. It's a pretty good display of determination and grit. The task of building up the necessary endurance requires real discipline too, so many long slow miles in all conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Messi hardly ever goes down. He’s often chopped, barged, kicked at and continues his runs. Watch any Messi compilation video.

He also had a hormone deficiency disease when he was younger. Barcelona paid for his treatment. Should asthmatics be denied inhalers if they want to be footballers??

Your post is less controversial, more stupid. Ronaldo fanboi??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Toy Show has become a monster and is responsible for Christmas trees and lights going up in houses in mid to late November - far too early - and therefore should either be:

a) Scrapped entirely

b) Scaled back and moved to the first or second Friday in December.

....this surely has to be an unpopular opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Vegetarians are terrible house guests, you have to make separate meals for them which is extra work , also requires extra thought when giving them anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Civilization has peaked and we are now at the start of a downward spiral

A lot of this is due to the restrictions we place on ourselves due to the deeply flawed implementation of ideas like social justice inclusion affirmative action etc and not the ideas themselves

Ultimately we are Fcuked because a culture of people who will never acknowledge that they are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Im aware he had a hormone deficiency, however it is very naive indeed to think that the treatment administered couldnt be ramped up, especially when the club took over the treatment at a time when they had dodgey doctors on their payroll. Why take over the administration of the peds? Why not just pay for it? It is the very same attitude that was being used by similar doctors working for team sky in cycling. If you cannot see how this could be manipulated then you are very naive.

Re ronaldo, great player also, but not without his own flaws. You dont have to be in one camp or the other you see. They can be judged on their own merits alone.. Crazy notion I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

In this house we stopped watching it,, The kids are no fun,, the singing & dancing is crap,, and the worst part is, all the toys are utter rubbish.

How often has a toy failed to turn on, or failed to do what it says on the tin... it's all just plastic garbage..

Oh, and Tubbs is crap too..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Players get tested by FIFA and UEFA quite a lot.

How can PEDs enhance your skill level?

How do PEDs improve your vision, technique, control, weight of pass, one touch passing etc that were/are huge aspects of his game?? If he was a huge bulked up athlete like Bale or Adriano after being a waif id maybe agree but it’s such a ridiculous accusation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You ok hun?

If you want to be generous, start by not using offensive 1970s terminology like "a little handicapped".

Advertisement