Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a liver issue but want to workout and move to a vegan diet. Is this advisable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Worztron

I'm sure some doctors advise against too much of that junk food you mentioned. You say "eat what you want in comparison to junk food veg probably be a better choice" -- there's no probably about it. I have done research. I'm not buying the anti-vegan/vegetarian agenda.

Post edited by Worztron on

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 23 1cent

There Are ZERO Experiments That Prove Vegetables Are Healthy.

"When people say "vegetables are good for you" they are referring to surveys and opinion; not scientific experimentation...."

1cent, you seriously think that veg is not healthy? What utter nonsense.

Eat your greens.

• Advertisement

The fact, humans for million years sustain on carnivore food as primary diet and occasional veg in starving seasons. Why someone telling me that I should eat veg if human body works better on red meet? And why farmers forced to kill livestock to meet climate "targets"?

@GoogleBot

It's funny how you ignored the comment directly above mine, a delusional claim that vegetables aren't healthy.

Saying 'fact' doesn't make it so. Sources please. Also, diets varied depending on what parts of the planet humans were on.

Who says the human body works better on meat (and not "meet" as you continually mistype)? So it seems you also dismiss human-caused climate change? I don't think there's any reasoning with you.

Perhaps go and live in a cave like a true caveman and eat raw meat like a true carnivore. Or you could evolve.

I agree with 1cent veg as a primary source of diet is bs proven many times and do you have any scientific source that veg is healthy ?

"Humans were apex predators for two million years, study finds"

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/04/210405113606.htm

You seem to be getting veg and plants mixed up. Who eats veg as a primary source in their diet?

Veg is healthy - it's common knowledge - do a search online and you'll see (here's a start - https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/5-a-day/why-5-a-day). As I mentioned before, I don't think there's any reasoning with you.

What other crap do you believe? Are you against vaccines, a flat Earther, a believer in chemtrails, etc?

So you reckon yourself to be an apex predator? Why not live like a true stone-age man then? Kill animals yourself, eat them raw and go live in a cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭irelandrover

But 1cent didnt say vegetables arent healthy. He said that there are no experiments that prove they are. Thats a completely different statement.

• Advertisement

Million years, humans evolve on animal base diet using ketones as prime energy source. And you can see majority of kids intuitively hate vegetables because it's not a prime food source. As a result of evolution carbs become non essential food source. The human body can produce enough glucose from fat and certain aminos.

Some veg ok, but for the most part vegetables are not healthy name a few you think is healthy? And please don't post links written by anonymous author it just someone else opinion.

This is just ridiculous. That's just semantics. You seriously think veg isn't healthy? So all the recommendations from all of the experts (Registered Dietitians, etc.) advising people to eat plenty of veg every day is some sort of worldwide conspiracy? That's as insane as the flat earth loons.

The old appeal to nature fallacy. Why don't you live so just like our ancestors did for millions of years?

Yet people on vegan diets can thrive (I do). What's that, some kind of miracle?

Carbs are the ideal energy source.

Who says the majority of kids hate veg? Those that do are probably getting poorly made dinners.

Kids love sweets though so by your thinking, they should just eat sweets instead of veg.

Carbs are non-essential you say? This gets crazier by the minute.

I can't think of any veg that isn't healthy so naming the healthy ones would take forever. But my favorites are broccoli, cabbage, carrots, onions, spinach, spuds, etc.

You said "for the most part vegetables are not healthy" -- do you not realize how insane that statment is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I think veg is extremely healthy. I didn't say it wasn't.

And its not just semantics. You're attributing things to people that they aren't saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Of course there's experiments and studies showing the health benefits of vegetables. This topic has ventured into the absurd and I think more into good science vs bad science territory rather than vegan vs non vegan discussion.

Zero scientific experiments proven veg is healthy watch video below reposted from 1 cent.

Some vegetables good enough to eat the majority of veg are OK to eat to survive hunger. However, many vegetables are not healthy enough. You have been influenced by the media and certain medical staff to mislead you towards green agenda.

For example Broccoli is loaded with goitrogens, particularly one group called thiocyanates. The consequence of eating these thiocyanates is the potential to develop the very serious condition of hypothyroidism.

Broccoli is loaded with formaldehyde, a natural by-product of oxidation and which is known to cause cancer in rats.

Name your favourite vegetables?

I have already mentioned nasty broccoli above. Well Spinach is high in oxalates, and their excess intake over a period may lead to the formation of kidney stones. In elderly spinach cause blood clot and heart attack.

To be continued ...

Post edited by GoogleBot on

"nasty broccoli" - GB, please come out of the Rabbit Hole of delusion that your dived into.

"In elderly spinach cause blood cloth and heart attack." - GB, what in the name of sanity are you on about?

So eat spinach in smaller amounts/less often.

Good for you in saying that veg is healthy.

I was calling out 1cent on their bs, insinuating that veg isn't healthy.

"Of course there's experiments and studies showing the health benefits of vegetables. This topic has ventured into the absurd..."

Hear! Hear!

• Advertisement

Show scientific study on veg but make sure it's not an anonymous NHS guideline you posted last time or someone waffling after observation.

GoogleBot, what do you eat on a typical day?

On my day off I normally don't eat anything at all. Typical day bacons, eggs, steak home made burgers, meatballs, lamb stew, lamb liver etc.

But I can admit I do stop by at freshly chopped for the occasional salad bowl as well.

I am not against healthy vegetables, but I want other people to be aware that some vegetables can be harmful, especially for elderly and people with pre existing medical conditions.

Why do you believe in such things as goitrogens, thiocyanates etc? Like how do you actually know these exist? You're choosing to believe in these scientific findings, but not others, why?

You need to eat a lot of spinach to risk kidney stones, if you eat a variety of dark leafy greens such as kale, then this is no issue.

I think you may be too far down the rabbit hole to convince you away from what confirmation bias has lead you to act on. There are many studies showing detrimental effects of the foods you regularly eat. If you actually believe these are healthy now, perhaps you will reconsider if you start to have health issues. Don't forget, irregular bowel movements, hard or uncomfortable stools etc are health issues. If you're lacking in fiber, you're leaving yourself open to a lot of issues. The human body can be very resilient, it would be a lot better if we instantly reacted to unhealthy foods. Instead, the body just slowly builds up cancers, atherosclerosis etc to a point where people just think it's just normal and nothing to do with lifestyle or diet.

Dietary fiber is a non-nutrient because it is not digested or absorbed by the body. However by-product of fiber fermentation butyric acid like many other fatty acids quite beneficial.

Kale is another nasty vegetable messing up with hormones, problems with fertility and in 2019 highlighted as the most dirty vegetable full of pesticide residues. Even freshly chopped no longer serving kale. If you have scientific findings I would like to read because I can't find any veg friendly except a few...

I'm not sure what your point about fiber is, if you're saying it's not necessary, along with you seeming to have something against the consumption of vegetables, I don't think it's optimal use of my time to try convince you otherwise. Best wishes!

Dietary fiber is non essential and spelled out by all scientists already.

The need for dietary fiber is a myth.

Newer, more objective research is showing that dietary fiber is often unnecessary. And it might even be harmful.

Ref.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2659900/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17855692/

This is a quote from what you just linked to:

"Although there is strong evidence that dietary fibre, especially insoluble fibre in fruits and vegetables, decreases the risk of DD, other lifestyle factors such as lower red meat and fat consumption and physical exercise play a role in bowel function."

I think you're interpreting these studies how you want. Best wishes with your choices :)

I am glad that you have read. They didn't run a study on red meat that's an assumption of evidence they didn't present.

Dietary fibre is non essential that's a fact.

I am sure in the years to come we will get more confirmations of bs about fiber that the human body have no knowledge how to digest and absorb.

• Advertisement

Well I hope in the years to come you may consider adding fiber to your diet if you're having bowel issues :)

Advertisement