Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday - Netflix - Tim Burton

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Soo.... what is it now.. 6 days left.. Have you got it cancelled yet? Might want to step it up a gear 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It is.

Breaking records set by stranger things 4 for viewers.

Reviews aren't that bad from critics 70 percent on rottentomatoes and 66 percent on metacritic. I would say Netflix aren't too bothered about them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

I've watched two episodes and have found the Johnny Depp eyes/glances annoying to say the least. I am not familiar with the lead actress but I'm presuming this is down to the influence of Tim Burton.

My money is on Christina Ricci's character to be a bad egg - maybe it's from having been subjected to the Harry Potter movies too many times but there does appear to have been plenty of borrowed material in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Just binged EPs 1-4 and found it enjoyable enough that I'll binge the next few episodes when I have time between the footie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I finished watching last night, I did enjoy it. Jenna Ortega done a fantastic job as Wednesday as well with the rest of the cast to be fair. I did like the little easter eggs like the two snaps,pilgrims,Itt,the "eat girl scouts for breakfast" line and the boat names. The soundtrack is good aswell, The stones, Cramps,Roy Orbison, Fleetwood Mac and Apocalypticas version of nothing else matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Mobius2021

Have 2 more episodes to watch and definitely am enjoying it - easy watching. More importantly my wife likes it so it might make her open to watching more stuff outside her usual taste.

2 weeks plus one day! You've let it not be cancelled! 😁

I guess it might be worth a watch then! 😁

1: That was fun. Felt kinda a level of giddy funny about how it's been written.

Think they've gotten past all the big parts of the trailers I remember.

Seems to me they've got a mystery in there.. and maybe two.

One being about who is killing people and ripping them to pieces.. at a guess I think this could easily just be one of the werewolf/lycan students. I'm guessing that was one who rescued wednesday from the magic guy.

The other being maybe the magic guy is still alive and maybe there's more like him and maybe they are up to something. A lot of maybes.. 🙂

2: Oh, this is fun! 🙂 It's like an episode of the week but also with the big long-story mystery.

Also... have to admit.. it took me until early in this episode to spot Christina Ricci!

Thought it was clever how they got Wednesday to do the finger snaps 🙂

I got a bit of Ben Hur chariot race vibes from the canoe race.

The big mystery.. i still don't know.. maybe a secret society thing.

Definitely something odd going on with Gwendoline Christie as Weems. So she's a chargling/lycan or something then. I did like how she was smart and used an in-between look before fully transforming back to herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Underground

Going to give this a try as I have heard its not bad.

One question before I start though, why does every show have to have a f*cking dance scene shoe horned into it now? Are showrunners that desperate to get stuff taking off on Tiktok? Maybe it makes sense in the context of the show (i.e I believe this dance scene is actually, you know, at a school dance) but this trend is getting tiring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It does make sense in the context of the overall arc and the things that happen there if it is any consolation for you.

3: World building and story expanding episode I think. Maybe the show is going to settle into this style for a bit.

I liked the setup in the town. I thought that ..

Wednesday being there playing away while everything burned and Weems looked on furious felt classic Wednesday Addams.

I think there might be a red herring there to throw off the audience, this ..

Thorpe kid showing up in the woods after Wednesday had her vision and then at the end with the dirty hands. OK, sure he might be involved but I don't think it's him turning into the creature. Maybe he's helping or covering for the real person.

Oh and the Gorgon moment. Saw that coming but still funny

Awkward easily-figured-out-with-a-chat-that-doesn't-happen moments coming up with Enid I'm guessing

4: When that started happening at the ball, I could tell where it was going and guessed Wednesday would like it but I liked the twist stinger about it! 🙂

With what happened at the end..

I think Eugene must have gotten done by whoever at the ball bumped into Wednesday and I think that means it must have been a student there.

Oh and..

Enid and the Gorgon moment about communications issues! Called it from episode 3! 🙂

As for Weems..

Now I just think she's just all about covering up the image of the school so it doesn't get closed down.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I see both the show and Ortega have been nominated for Golden Globes. The most silly of all the awards, but still, seems like its a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet however it has for sure seems like it has been a smash hit for Netflix all over the world.

By all accounts there is a dance scene in it now that has also taken over Tic Tok so it has been a viral hit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I watched this over the past few days as I've been sick and looking for things to watch. It's fine, it's standard enough teen fare. You see the twists coming a mile away but the characters are likeable enough and it passed the time.

5: This episode had backstory but I felt it was mostly there to pull the rest of the family back into the show. Some good camera work / direction in the scene between Gwendoline Christie where she absolutely towered over Wednesday.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ortega is only 5ft tall, Christie is 6ft3. Are you sure there was any camera work involved other than turning it on 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 86,712 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

ive seen 3 episodes so far, not watching intently but its an enjoyable show and it looks great, you can see they put effort into the colours and using the contrasts.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

this forum is a bit counter predictive, seems to gush over shows like She Hulk that anywhere is discussed as being awful with lousy viewership- gets cancelled tout suite, but loads of interaction here and more positive 😁

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Ortega is mesmerizing, her dance scene alone has over 19m views on YT , I didnt dig Gomez so much, B&W Gomez was far more flamboyant, Zeta Jones plays her part well, Hand was the breakout character for me.

I was a bit thinking along the same lines but for this one scene they seemed to be aiming the camera down upon Wednesday from above. Can't remember the sound all that well but maybe they also did sound effects to emphasise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Loved it!

one small thing that irritated me was her father, he wasn’t a ‘fit’ for the role.

The series is very enjoyable, I have to say. Watched it all a few weekends ago and was gripped.

My single data point was talking to one of the neighbor's kids and asked her what she was dressing up as for Holoween, she said Wednesday , the show hadnt even come out then. If thats in any way replicated it might mean Netflix has a major hit on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I finished this last week and found it good. I got Harry Potter vibes from it with the school and then magic.

I didn't think that dance was great but it's all I'm seeing on Instagram so many liked it.

Was that headmistress or what ever you call her really tall or was that camera tricks?

6: The one thing I'm picking up on this episode is from the visit

to the house.. seems to point to it be being Laurel Gates.. grown up.. so then.. just to figure out which of the grown ups she is.

The only guess I'd make is Ricci playing Thornhill but I can't really say anything really points to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It has now become Netflix's second biggest English Language show behind Stranger Things and is expected to overtake that soon.

The Jenna Ortega-fronted show crossed the 1B hours viewed mark – only the third show to do that – in less than a month and overtook Dahmer to become the second most-watched U.S. show behind season four of Stranger Things.

Talks with Amazon/MGM who make/produce the show about renewing it for a second season have begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭archfi

Harmless teen watch.

They need to relegate Wednesday's parents involvement to near net zero and promote Uncle Fester and Thing and bring in Cousin Itt

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

As has already been pointed out, Gwendoline Christie is 6'3", so no camera tricks. The only other series that I recall seeing her in was Game of Thrones.

Advertisement