Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭fits

What would you change to?

I guess we will be thinking about the end of our pcp this time next year and I can’t see anything else that appeals right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

MEgane E tech,Ioniq 5,mg 4........

Are all in the mix for me.....

I may even downsize to a renaut 5 when they land,seeing as how all my kids now have their own cars.

Bear in mind I still have my bike and aincent fossil cars for fun.....

42 K for 58 Kwh ? that's utter madness, I paid less for the tour 5, so what does the tour 5 cost now ?

This is a direct result of the E.U's rejection of Russian Gas without thought or considerations for the impact on it's own citizens and I won't be caught paying a lot more than I should for a small hatch as a result of the E.U's failure to ensure it has it's own energy supplies because it's more concerned about installing solar panels and wind turbines as if that's going to replace Gas and Oil.

I found it a little easier from the passenger seat when the missus was driving but the whole thing is that Humans need proper physical contact with things as we are physical beings and using touch screens in my opinion feels really unnatural and while they can't have a button for everything at least have physical buttons for things like AC, Heated seats and radio with preset buttons.

Above anything else touch screens are a distraction and only for travel assist it would be a lot worse using it while driving when I need to use it.

I don't thing voice activation is a solution either.

I think the world needs to seriously fix the screen addiction, I can't drive down the N7 but there are people watching youtube and browsing the internet, having travel assist makes me a lot more aware how much People have their eyes off the road and makes me wonder how many of those weekly N7 crashes are a direct result of mobile phone use ? I wouldn't even dare watch youtube or browse the web with travel assist because I know it will rear end the car in front if the driver lamps on the brakes.

I can't see anything else either, the prices are too expensive, not sure if other electrics have increased like the VW's, this could be directly related to the gas situation, the Ioniq 5 is over priced, the EV 6 is over priced and I'm not a big fan of those cars, Tesla model 3 long range is too expensive.

I just hope the id3 is reliable after the pitiful 2 year warranty, the battery and motor are covered longer of course but the rest of it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You can get a 58KW Ioniq 5 Executive for €40K. There's not much around that can beat that for spec, range and space.

The Megane is interesting but only has 60 Kwh meaning probably 53 usable ? I wouldn't ever again have an EV with less than the range of the tour 5 but even that is a bit disappointing in the fact that after a year I have 14 Kwh of battery I have no access to buffer or not not interested, I pay for 82 Kwh, I never even had access to the 77 Kwh.......

Anyway, the megane looks interesting but it's front wheel drive with 200 odd HP and having experienced the E-Soul, Kona and even the Leaf 150 Hp wheel spin I would never dream of FWD EV as I know it would drive me insane especially on damp and wet roads, there's no real excuse for having FWD ev.

I believe it has 20 odd Kw charger built in ? now that's very useful but still not enough to make me buy a FWD EV on top of that it's a pretty noisy car from watching Bjorns video, interior is decent for a Renault.

It doesn't charge very fast on DC like the id3 either, 30-40 min charge times in nearly 2023 is unacceptable, worse with cold batteries.

The Ariya is too expensive so is the Ioniq 5, EV 6.

Ariya is FWD unless you pay even more.

The MG looks interesting but don't know much about it yet.

I was a big fan of the original Renault 5, I did not like the updated version they released in 1986 was it ? the original was a fantastic car for it's time, tiny though but presume the new gen will be a little bit larger, gone are the days you could fit 2 Adults and 8 Children in the back of a Renault 5, with child seats, seat belts and of course it's now illegal to throw Children in the Boot "pity" 😁

58 Kwh is too little Kwh, would never buy a EV with less range than my tour 5 again. Out of that 58 Kwh what is usable Kwh ?

Speak for yourself when you say that touchscreens are not natural for humans to use. Perhaps for those of us who are closer related to baboons than the rest? I wouldn't go back to anything else other than a touchscreen.

That's because too many People today are addicted to screens and can't live without them, that doesn't make them better for automotive use, You won't be able to take a dump without a screen next, you probably don't either lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

I don't have any particular problem with screens,what I have a major pblem with is the absolutely crap user interface that is the vw O.S.

Then there's the charge timers ....

And I actually do like the haptic controls.

BTW a half decent spec diesel Astra is 40k,I'll just leave that there.......

Not sure how you went from the actual issue being touch screens not being natural to use to people having an addiction to screens. Lolocaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How different is the ID.3 software to the Born? I do feck all flicking through the screens with my current setup.

The Born is very similar to the Golf in the sense that outside of resetting tyre pressure occasionally there's no need to go through screens. If listening to Spotify my girlfriend can just swipe up to get the radio and change stations without going to radio screen. Shortcuts on the bottom to get back to radio, Android Auto or settings just like my Golf. No real issues with temperature controls either.

I have 3.1 which has navigation arrows on the driver display which surprisingly works with Android Auto so I don't even need to leave the home screen for Google Maps. I also have consumption figures on the driver display so I will replace that with drive mode.

Overall a bit different to use than the previous setup in the MQB cars but nothing drastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Hard to make it out without a video to be honest.

is B mode useful in the ice or could it cause a skid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

My understanding is ( and very open to correction ) when driving on ice you want to brake as little as possible. You always hear the advice to drive in a high gear allowing you to shift down to slow down rather than apply brakes which can lead to a skid ( more sliding than rolling ). So regen is basically asking the wheel to deliver more torque ( by asking it to recharge a dynamo ) and hence slow down its rotation - so to me its the same as shifting down a gear. However I find B mode very aggressive in this and you end up 'braking' all the time which can only increase the chance of a skid.

I would imagine D mode which allows you to coast to a stop, and encourages you to not aggressively accelerate and decelerate would be better in icy temps. For me Eco and than blue light and auto slowing/ gentle braking is a very comfortable.

Yes I think I’d be more comfortable in D. I’ve done a fair bit of driving in snow and icy conditions but usually with winter tyres. ID.3 is a different beast as well.

I always drive in D and have it set that when I lift off there's no regen, it's much better on icy roads than the BMW id3 which had no option to turn off regen when you lift off the throttle, the only thing I could do was to use the throttle to adjust the regen, it was a pain mostly even with no ice because your foot had to be on the throttle all the time so I'm quite happy I can turn it off on the id3.

I drove home from work today and checked the battery temp when I got home, 4.5 Deg C, I can't imagine how slow that would have made fast charging.

For the first time I think the car was at 7% and I noticed aa massive reduction in acceleration, indicated by half or less bar on the power meter.

Has anyone else notice such dramatic power loss with 7% charge ?

The cold does take a big hit on range, I can only imagine the impact for 58 Kwh owners.

So before the recent update the battery would have preheated to 12 Deg C and this would have been bad enough for fast charging, I just can;t imagine how bad it would be at a temp of 4.5 Deg C, driving that big lump of an 82 Kwh battery doesn't warm it up and it's shocking to think that the driver can't have any form of battery heating for fast charging considering the hardware is there to heat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Comer1

My 58 kWh has about 240km range at the moment, but that's driving very easy on these frosty roads.

When I said "12 deg would have been enough for fast charging" let me just say that 12 deg C is enough for 60 Kw from 20% on Ionity or 50 Kw with ESB 150 Kw.

4.5 Deg C probably would only get 30 Kw I don't know yet but I do know VW will have to get their acts together with regard to battery preheating for fast charging.

I got 160 Kms from 60-7%, starting off preheated interior and then later preheat with no mains to head out for lunch then another preheat no mains to get home, and that's driving decent speed yesterday up the M9 and semi decent speed on the M7 and then slow enough on the N7 because People have to pretend to be cautious in such terrible road conditions, which is overdramatic of course because the road was good enough to do at least 100 Km/hr but typical overreaction by Irish drivers, anyway, Speed was a lot faster home on the N7 as I left around 2pm and M7 around 120 and M9 120 all the way.

Efficiency was around 21.5 Kwh/100 kms for that charge. I suppose I would have driven a further 30 - 40 kms because when I hooked up carscanner it showed BMS display as 10% but BMS as 15%.

I'm just puzzled about the dramatic loss of power at 7% ? I'm not actually aware, maybe it even reduced the power at 10%, has anyone else noticed this ?

+ I now got the loss of 4G again, this is p1ssing me off..........

It's battery saver mode or whatever the correct term is.

Have you experienced this power loss before ? I'm surprised it kicked in at 7%, prob 10-12% actual.

Turtle Mode is the technical term, most if not all EVs have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah but I only ever hit turtle once in my Leaf, and it was about 3% iirc.

Never got it in the i3, never got it in the ID3 and I've been as low as 4% I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I charged to 90% yesterday morning, because I knew I'd need some range on Friday and Saturday. Also, going away for a week tomorrow, so didn't want to leave it with too low a charge. Lost 4g connection too. Currently have fuse 19 out to try and sort it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'm just puzzled about the dramatic loss of power at 7% ?

Its a combination of the low SoC and a cold battery.

Its not turtle mode, that kicks in a bit later where you will see a light on the dash for that.

Advertisement