Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Murt2

My array faces south. I should be doing a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭DC999

Hey, look at the panels and different times of the day to see can you see shading. This time of year I’m seeing shading I never expected (year1 of solar for me). Even a small bit of shade will hammer output on what’s on that string without optimisers (but I’d agree with others you don’t want optimisers just for winter. I have them for shading all year round for some panels).

So check when they are in sun and see what the inverter stats are showing per string and overall (if you have any non S facing panels). Should get decent output when in sun. Then check once they are shaded and will see it drop. Then you know shading is the issue. And do that several times a day so you can see the pattern and note it all down for yourself. Get me?  

Today in Dublin my panels are under snow. So they need to be clear to get a baseline. So if they are snow free and you've sun in the sky, today is a good day to start it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Its going to be another cracker of a day again for me lads!!!! 20 kWh+ 😁😎

Clear blue skies all the way, although the forest is saying it might get cloudy around 3pm

Picture below is at 12:15 and solar noon where I am is 12:26 today, its amazing how low the sun is at this time of the year...

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Maybe? Naturally people wouldn't be able to say for certain without more details. But the math for purchasing optimizers (generally) is unfavorable in winter.

Why? Well the days are short so your production is somewhat limited anyway, even if you have perfectly aligned panels with no shading. Nearly everyone on this forum (ECO_Mental aside) normally suffers some shading on their panels in winter. Sun is very low on the horizon and houses/trees shade your panels which doesn't normally happen from March->Oct.

The whole thing about optimizers is that the way that inverters work is that if you have say 10 panels and 1 of those panels is shaded (say by a chimney) then all the panels are "dragged down" to the lowest performing panel. Installing optimizers on the affected panel(s) will mean that the unshaded 9 panels out of the 10 (or whatever you have) will work as normal.

Where the math falls down fiscally, is that optimizers are €50 a pop, installing it on say all of your 10 panels = €500 in devices, and then add on getting someone onto your roof. Could be €1000, now will your "extra production" recoup that cost......unlikely based on winter time production.

If however you were experiencing shading in Apr->Sept then yes, there's a case to be made for optimizers, but only again if "some" of your panels are shaded. If they are all shaded, then optimizers will do nothing to help (in fact they will ever so slightly dis-improve your production)

So if I was you, save your money. Have a look at your production on a clear day in April next and the re-evaluate. You'll see what I mean - trust me :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭micks_address

heading for about 6.75whr today.. 4kw panels south east.. 3kw panels north west.. north county dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

An absolutely savage day here in West Waterford

2.8Kw SE, 4.8KW SW

Post edited by Big Lar on

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

If your system is relatively close to the predicted output on the solar calculators surely it’s fair to assume things are working correctly or is this too simplistic?

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

What a curve! 20.8 kWh today...used 75% of it most of it into the car. Tomorrow looks good as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭rameire

0.6 generated today.

Is a huge learning curve and amazing to see what a layer of frozen snow does to generation when it's sunny but temp doesn't get above 0c.

Wasn't even tempted to remove the caked snow as don't want to do anything stupid to the panels.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah but on a monthly basis (and generally what others are saying)

For example march 2022 was an absolute blinder, way better than the prediction.

June wasn't as good this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

6.6wkh today from 4kwp SE too in South Meath :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

Really foggy day here in galway but somehow in afternoon managed to scrape to 9.5kwh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

10.1kWh today. Not bad going considering the PV and thermal panels were pretty well covered until 10:30 or so. Cold weather had the MPPT running very close to the 520V limit too.

I'll install them myself. Yeah, there is a chimney and a tree that are causing havoc with my output when I should be getting decent generation between 1&3pm. There are also shading issue where about half the panels are blocked in the late evening during the summer. According to the calculator, I should have gotten about 260kWh in November, I actually got 130

Nice to see! You seem to live where there are no trees, no clouds, no anything actually. Where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mrm

Just south of Cork City, about 6-7 km from the city centre as the crow flys. Realy lucky just built a house and moved in last year. its an exposed site as you can see and practically from East to West no obstruction. Also lucky again the Architect who designed the house (more than 12 years ago!) knew what he was doing and orientated the house perfectly south facing for Solar gain etc as back then PV wasn't a thing and I didn't have a clue back then.

A lot of stars aligned for me I know, but by pure luck to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭championc

Optimizers are only needed when some panels in a string are shaded while others in the same string are not. They cannot magically boost output if the whole array is tree shaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Few clouds rolling past but we will take it for December, nothing but cloud so far today.

• Advertisement

Congratulations, you defy Irish weather! The lack of trees is also a big plus. Even being that little bit further south helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

Another great day for December…6.9 kWp , almost due South

It's getting embarrassing at this stage...another 20 kWh day., 6.1 KWp system Cork.

kWh day today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭paulbok

10kWh on the button today, have half the monthly forecast got now. Covering 30% of consumption so far.

Late start with the frost and patchy sun in the afternoon so can't complain coming into the shortest couple of weeks of the year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Only 0.8kWh today. Quite the contrast between yesterday and today.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Tomorrow is looking like the first day I'll get with clear skies for change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭con747

@Jonathan should @ECO_Mental not be banned from this thread at this stage for generating so much. 😂

Fair play @ECO_Mental keep it up.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

0.9kwh today from 4wkp se. Foggy as hell the whole day in Meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

Just short of 24kwh here in Costa del galway. December getting off to great start

Advertisement