Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CLERICAL OFFICER 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭shmeee

Excellent department to work for along with very good training from day one which is structured - a mix of online video classes given by the training department, 1 to 1 mentoring and self-learning (via virtual lessons). And then ongoing training / learning opportunities going forward.

*Again may vary between different divisions so I can only talk on behalf of certain divisions. But not too many bad comments floating about TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 onol

Hi just wanted to ask does anyone know how long after reference check is it before you hear where you are going please

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tippcoleen

Thank you shmee , hopefully I will hear soon. Got email today new competition for TCO to be considered for permanent position in DSP. This I am told never happened before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sounds a bit desperate - the CO entry salary is so low, here's a tip guys - if you want to recruit and retain competent staff then increase it!

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Moomooland

That’s a bit strange my manager asked for me to be kept and made permanent she was told “it doesn’t happen” and “you can’t be made permanent on a temporary panel”.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

An older colleague who was near retirement age told me a number of years ago of such competitions for temporary staff to be made permanent. Not sure how far back in time they were going but she joined the civil service in the 1970s. I don't think this is the first time it has ever been done but I wouldn't think they are too frequent either.

Never heard of it, it was the HEO that told my EO in my presence. I just took it to be gospel then.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

It's interesting. They can't probably just make people permanent so I'm sure there will still be an competition element to it and not everyone that applies will be made permanent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

...he says in a 92 page thread of people clamouring to join without a hint of irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 frances5420

If you apply for the new CO for Dublin only competition and accept interview are u then removed from this nationwide panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 34 frances5420

Ok thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WednesdayGirl

Did u hear where u going? I got dept education athlone. I think u athlone also?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 onol

Hi WednesdayGirl I never heard anything yet I know they got my reference 23rd November but haven't heard anything since can I ask when did you send in reference or how long where you waiting to hear back from them as I am getting worried now. Did you get a start date thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Amsat

Also waiting to hear back following reference check. Spoke to them and said they gave it so dunno why would take this long

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bettyboo72

Hi All,

Late to the thread. I interviewed for a CO for my local county council. I got the email today about they have a job ready and we will start the process. I have 2 written refs. My last job was a huge multinational after 10 years whom made me redundant. They give out the standard written one stating your worked as a xx for this long that's it. Most employers know that this is all you will get from them. My question is what type of refs are you asked for at this stage and do they call them. I really want this job. Also I have been in a new role since September ( killing time until this came through) in a new role since my redundancy. Do you think I can not mention this as in omit it? Its not relevant to my application I feel but don't want to put my new role in jeopardy. any advice welcome!☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭burkemg

Dont think this thread is any good for your enquiry, dont know how local authority looks at or assesses references, this thread is for public jobs only, not local authority. No harm to phone their HR dept and ask them??

Post edited by burkemg on

Hi.

They Send a form out to your reference there's a few questions.. Pretty basic.. Work performance would you hire this person again more less tick box exercise tbh. All pretty standard. @bettyboo72

Section at bottom for a comment.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭RichPersonInsideAPoor

I’ve been allocated a position in revenue and the email said “Department will arrange specific start dates directly with candidates after assignment”. Does anyone know what that means? I received that email the end of November and nothing since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭furrybones

Revenue will contact you directly when they have a start date for you. Once you've been assigned your department PAS no longer have anything to do with the process. There is typically a 4 week wait from when you are assigned. It may well be after Christmas before you hear anything, but you could give Revenue a call and ask if there is a possibility of getting a start date.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Any chance of a start?"

Scrap the cap!

@RichPersonInsideAPoor

Got the same email on the 28th.. No update as to weathet they got my ref or not assume they did they said they went to HR department.. I did email said they had no update at present that was on tuesday. Going to just have to wait it out I think till the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bettyboo72

Thanks for the reply! See huge multinationals will never give anything other then a statement of employment. If they won't accept it nothing I can do. I've a huge amount of experience and will be taking a 50% pay cut too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 drippininheat

Has anyone been through special Garda Vetting/Clearance for placement with the AGS or courts?

I was under consideration for a role in Social Welfare, submitted the garda vetting for that, then a few weeks later I was asked if I'd be interested in a role with AGS instead as it was less of a journey for me, but was told it needed special clearance and could tske up to 3 months. I said yes to this......

Anyway my first garda vetting then got completed anyway after about 6 weeks but in the meantime I got a second garda vetting link for the new AGS role I was being considered for. That has now been marked as completed too after only a few weeks. I contacted PAS to say this is now done and just to let them know HR informed me from my current role that they sent a reference back.

PAS replied just to say special clearance takes 12 weeks and they would he in touch once that was complete. So I asked again do I need to fill out something else for the special clearance because the only thing I was asked to do, the standard vetting, has already been completed....

They just replied again saying they'd be in touch when they were informed special clearance was completed......

So im a bit confused/worried that they never sent me the correct link to fill out this "special clearance"

Anybody been through this special clearance able to shed any light on this for me. Thanks

Pas has said the comp has been extended past Jan 2023 but the new date has yet to be decided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I think the way they get around this is what they call an indefinite contract. I know a temp I previously worked with got one of these once he mentioned to the manager that he had been offered PCO elsewhere. He had been a temp in that unit for 3 years. To lose that experience and someone have to start afresh in a different department is crazy but that's the system.

Thanks for this, it’s strange I was told that you can get a contract of indefinite duration when you have 2 years done by someone who got one just over the 2 years. I just think they just do what they want there’s so many holes at this stage it’s like Swiss cheese 🧀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Got my interview tomorrow, any tips to impress?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WednesdayGirl

Have plenty of examples ready. Think of how you handled both good and bad situations at work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Charliesha92

Good luck . Hope you do well.

Mine is tomorrow would appreciate if you are able to give me a heads up on what todays interview was like. Thanks :)

Advertisement