Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭4shameee

Are you actually serious? You think the royal family would be that **** dumb to not allow Harry to marry somebody because she was mixed race. What a story that would have been. Allowing him to marry Meghan doesn't mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If the papers hate Meghan’s attention seeking so much, don’t give it to her.

You’re really not getting this, are you? The papers are proving her point about the excessive coverage. 16 pages in one paper yesterday, whilst also giving out about her looking for attention.

And you’re here defending the hypocrisy as long as Meghan gets what she deserves. That, in itself, makes you a hypocrite.

Mocking royal protocol is appropriate at absolutely any time if the person wants to do it. People do not have to adhere to it. It is not the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Even the Daily Mail admit

“Harry and Meghan's £100million documentary produced far less bombshells than many royal watchers expected, instead focusing on their own love story with behind-the-scenes pictures and stories from the early days of their courtship.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11522929/Graham-Norton-jokes-Meghan-Harry-ruined-Charles-Camillas-Netflix-chill-night.html

• Advertisement

Yep- I watched that today- it was all about the curtsy itself- absolutely nothing in that section could be taken as mocking the Queen

There already is precedence race has nothing to do with it.

Unless you are a rabid Meghan hating maniac that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

The daily mail did go over the top, maybe they have it in for her. Not sure how much was covered in other papers. Maybe Meghan likes the attention..Who knows?

• Advertisement

So you think it’s fine for the papers to be hypocrites but yet Meghan should be called out for it?

You do you, but anyone who believes the above (or thinks the tabloids aren’t being hypocritical) are hypocrites themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

You do you?? Also please don't call me a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ah but she wasn't racist apparently, she's the real victim something something.

yup, deranged stuff from some of these people, they are obsessed, trying to make all sorts of psychological diagnosis of her and failing badly.

mad stuff altogether.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

My theory of H&M and their future:

Great Britain is in for a rough ride over the next few years in terms of people questioning its accumulated wealth from its former colonies. Even on the Antiques Roadshow last Sunday, yes that innocuous little mainstay on TV since the 1970s featured a person of ethnicity showcasing his collection of silver from the 17th/18th century as a visual representation of how Britain on one hand made lovely items but at the same time, at the expense of and on the back of slaves.

This questioning of the British empire history is a growing phenomenon and not least a very inconvenient truth for the Royal family.

I reckon Harry has high- tailed it before the heat got too much and now he and his wife have a good 15-20 years educating his grand-mums former subjects on all things unconscious bias.

William will breeze this when his time comes to be King but Charles and his history of taking millions in suitcases from dodgy Arab dictators won’t come off well.

I don’t have the energy to be a royal hater but I sense a backlash against the RF, especially Charles and Camilla and Harry is distancing himself as far as he can from the fallout.

Thats the only way I can explain his behaviour - he’s “seen the light” - he’s also seen his bank balance increase significantly so he’s kept himself in the standards he’s become accustomed- private jets and polo games.

Now if he could only win over the Obahma family and a few other A listers ……

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

On the idea of "What do they want?". It's simple. Money. They want money. How? Lets say they got their half in half out request. They got to make commercial deals, they got the PR optics of being Royal, they got the expense account to wear expensive clothes, full time security, a big impressive gaff, want for nothing etc. Ask yourself. Would there be a memoir which is expected to contain bombshells? Would there be people thinking it will be the final 3 episodes where they put the boot in on the family? None of this would be happening if they'd gotten their way and thus wouldn't be biting the hands that were feeding them because clearly given their output they are hopeless and spent in terms of any originality (i.e. whatever they have produced is produced better elsewhere). It is thus laughable that they are hailed in the way they are because if they were being kept no one would heard sweet FA about bombshells i.e. the royals could be racist scum but we'd know nothing about it because H&M are quids in.

Given how the family paid off millions to Giuffre to make it all go away then it would have been a good idea to give the Sussexes say an unconditional cheque for $20 million and full time protection (security guard/driver) and told to go be independent 'n stuff in California but that $20 million is all you're getting, make it last because (not setting a precedent) if you come asking for even more you can f*ck right off because Harry also had his inheritance on top of the lump sum. If he subsequently went down the bombshell/throwing the family under the bus then the family can say they'd sorted him out and infer he'd squandered it and is now brazen because he couldn't get more. That $20 million would have bought them off so to speak.

I think you’re “nearly” right-.it’s money “first”- when they get enough they’ll sit back and feed their Archwell brand with 20 years of do gooder stuff in between polo games and pushing designer brands- but yeah, it’s money first with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭maebee

Because it's the job of tabloids to do this. That's how they earn their crust. H&M left the RF to be private citizens yet they're spilling every detail of their private lives to the media - for money! I am an Irish Republican and have little or no grá for the British Royal Family but I actually feel some sympathy for them now. Meghan estranged herself from her own family and imo, she got Harry to do the same with his.

I have always said that if I ever met the queen, or any of the RF (always very unlikely), I would be respectful but wouldn't/couldn't curtsy to any of them. I don't think that any human being should bow down to any other human being. That said, Meghan's mocking of her curtsying to the Q, her husband's grandmother was very distasteful. IMO, she's a nasty piece of work and I can't see it ending in any other way than divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

their public opinion and livelyhood is at risk anyway.

a lot of like for them relied on the queen, she's gone and the reputation of the institution abraud is falling fast and hard.

whatever public opinion that is in favour of them in britain now is down to the brexit/harking back to the past mindset that has sweeped some of the people.

lots of the british public have woken up years ago and more are waking up.

ironically meghan and harry might have saved it if they could have stayed but they were driven out.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Whilst neither of us can prove either way, I don’t believe they were “driven out” - I think they proactively wanted to leave- this middle England, safe charities, ribbon cutting garden party life conformity of Kate and Wills just didn’t do it for either of them - I can’t blame them either- and whilst their constant moaning is pizzing of plenty, they probably don’t give a fook and are the ones laughing every time they select balance enquiry at an ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Getting rid of royal family just the one or all of them ? That's what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Ireland is a Republic, Irish people don't bow or curtsy to royalty so I'm not sure why you're making a point of saying you wouldn't.

Oh i mean the royal family being discussed in this thread.

The job of the tabloids is to bitch and whine about someone being an attention seeker yet give them pages upon pages worth of coverage?

Don't think it is. They have a freedom to set the news agenda, but they're not obliged to give anyone any coverage. That's why it confuses me when they complain about how much of an attention-seeker Meghan is yet they give her all of it.

They're talking out of both sides of their mouths, pandering to their gullible readers while giving Meghan the attention they claim she craves.

It's really funny to watch people bend over backwards to defend a toxic British media which has hounded celebrity after celebrity, some to the point where the celebrity took their own life, and then claim, with no proof or evidence outside of unfounded claims from Royalist journalists, that Meghan is a nasty bully because she had enough of some of the arseholes that we all know exist within the Royal family.

I don't make the rules, pal.

You're saying Meghan is a hypocrite for saying she wants privacy while also doing a Netflix documentary.

At the same time, you're ignoring the papers who complain about her looking for attention while also giving her pages worth of coverage, opinion pieces and editorials.

Why? Only you can answer that, but it would seem to me that it's because you like hearing about the media writing negatively about her so you pretend that the hypocrisy doesn't exist.

That, unfortunately for you, makes you a hypocrite.

It's so funny to see the amount of supposedly Irish people who have fell for the British tabloids. Truly hilarious.

You're wrong.

The negative media attention is needed to counter the sanitized and false narrative that Meghan is spreading.

Yes, it's a catch-22 because this gives her more attention.

It's a lose-lose situation and Meghan ends up on top regardless.

That's part of what contributes to her nastiness; the manipulative, mendacious nature of her campaign.

• Advertisement

The breakdown of her relationship with her dad is probably the saddest part of this sorry episode, all played out in the full glare of the media.

Considering they were on good terms prior to the wedding it’s such a shame- I see the dad is now refuting allegations in the documentary that he didn’t write those texts - with both sides determined to get the last word via newspapers and other media there’s no hope of a reconciliation at this stage- he won’t be long for this world given his health issues and then it will be too late- Not a good reflection on H&M to be honest, they should really keep their mouths shut except that they’re so precious about their “brand” and their “truth”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11524767/Thomas-Markle-texting-Meghan-sick-bed-wedding-Harry.html

Advertisement