Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

As much as I could see Deegan or Penney going. It would be strange for Connors, who would be clear second choice and depending on respective form, fighting for first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The Belfast Telegraph Rugby correspondent dropped a name in the weekly Ulster podcast last week.

It was in the context of a question "who will replace Duane Vermuelen" and his answer was that he thinks Ulster will sign am overseas player "like" Jasper Wiese.

Maybe it means nothing. But it did make me sit up and take notice when he dropped the name!

Connors would be a good signing if he stays fit. Although I'd have thought he still has opportunities at Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Connors is a fine player but Ulster have an appallingly bad record in signing crocked ♿️ players who rarely if ever get fit. Some have never even played a single complete game after signing. Deegan would be a better bet......🤞🎱

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Burns played quite well last week. He attacked the space and got his backline moving. I think he gets a lot of criticism that is unfair.

Treadwell is playing superb rugby. Cooney may be the best place kicker in Ireland.

Henderson will miss out this week as will Cooney, imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

That's a fair shout. I suspect that a lot of clubs offer lowball offers to players with dodgy medical profiles which leaves them free to accept offers elsewhere. Maybe Bryn Cunningham should put more of an emphasis on the medical profile when looking at signings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Couple of points amongst all the usual stuff at the season ticket holders' Q&A.

No-one's in denial about Ulster's issues with winning games under pressure - a sports psychologist has been brought in for the first time on a permanent basis.

Replay agisnt the Sharks is likely at the end of February. Apparently SA are looking at organising a national camp them, so they may also be missing international players.

Ulster let the game plan go to ****. They kicked away possession and seemed to panic with the lead. Leinster did well to come back. I wonder if Cooney getting hurt was a factor? Hendo also?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ulster team to play Sale Sharks, Heineken Champions Cup Round 1, Sunday 11 December at AJ Bell Stadium (KO 1pm), live on BT Sport.

(15-9): Mike Lowry, Ethan McIlroy, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8): Andy Warwick, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor (Captain), Kieran Treadwell, Matty Rea, Nick Timoney, Duane Vermeulen.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Eric O’Sullivan, Marty Moore, Sam Carter, Marcus Rea, Dave Shanahan, Stewart Moore, Ben Moxham.

Glad to see Stewart back from his HIA. Don't understand Moxham over Lyttle, but other than that,hard to argue with that team.

• Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think we might lose this tbh.

No Hendo, ugh! Gonna be a tough one. I think Ulster can win this.

• Advertisement

Sale team v Ulster:

15-9,1-8: Joe Carpenter, Arron Reed, Sam James, Manu Tuilagi, Tom O'Flaherty, Robert du Preez, Gus Warr, Bevan Rodd, Akker van der Merwe, Nick Schonert, Cobus Wiese, Jonny Hill, Jean-Luc du Preez, Tom Curry, Daniel du Preez.

Reps: Tommy Taylor, Simon McIntyre, Joe Jones, Josh Beaumont, Jono Ross, Joe Simpson, Tom Curtis, Byron McGuigan.

Just the 6 South Africans in the starting side (with another on the bench). Some big names in key roles, and a seriously imposing back row.

That's a lot of Boks. Is there no limits on foreign lads in the premiership?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

well your not favourites for it

the one thing i always think on sale though is discipline. They can be yellow card magnets playing a very physical style up front. Hill, Schonert and JL Du Preez can be quite loose with their hits. The smaller Du Preez is about as "functional" a 10 as you can get though, certainly not at George ford level but good kicking game

i think sale -3 is about right, but anything could happen

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The Champions Cup has been destroyed by its organisers. It's such a shame. The group formst is a total shambles.

Bring back 6 groups of 4 and Sky Sports please.

This formst is just awful.

Anyway, as for the match, I'm not really confident to be honest. That second half last week is still tough to get over as a supporter. Hopefully the players are more resilient than I am.

• Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea I'm still deflated. I'm a bit non-plussed about this weekend to be honest, cause I know whether we win or lose it won't matter really, we'll wilt under pressure later in the tournament if we even get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Totally agree about the format. The previous one was much better. Pools now are too large and unwieldy. As regards BT or Sky its a toss up as present coverage is pretty good.

Also how can this be a European competition when S. African teams are participating?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ive no beef with the Saffers being in it but agree on the format it’s crap and losing the 2 pool games was ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Honestly I don't really mind the saffers being in it, but before today I had no idea what the format was or how many games we play. I'm surprised by how little i'm looking forward to it (and I'm going to the game) but I might contribute that to being deflated from that joke of a rugby game that took place in dublin last week.

Hopefully once the rugby actually kicks off in an hour it'll be business as usual.

I suppose I want a Leinster win for the good of irish rugby, but I reckon I'll be smiling like a kid on christmas if they lose. Nice to start things off with a win-win situation before freezing my ass off while Ulster embarrass me again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Manchester airport closed. Ulster squad still in Belfast.

Not ideal preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

They were in the airport the same time as me and I made it across. Only landed at 1am after a 4.5 hour delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Shehal

Genuinely speaking what is Ulster's plan today? Just to continue to stand off and watch Sale kill them for 80 minutes? Can they get through 1 defensive set without conceding a dumb penalty?

Ulster managed 20-30 seconds of possession at least (progress!)....and then concede a 50/22 from it.

Ulster deservedly get a yellow, once again Ulster cant go through a defensive set without conceding a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's ref for Warwick as well. Head on head contact and Tuilagi sparked out immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,424 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Warwick has dropped height. He is passive. YC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Not even a yellow card last this week apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That's a genuinely mind boggling interpretation.

Genuinely the best thing Ulster can do now and have done all day is get in at half time, pack their bags and get on the coach back to Cardiff airport. That will be the most useful thing they have done all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

They would probably make a mess of that as well

Advertisement