Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

One off votes that Harris needs to go to is fine as it isn't like they'll be pushing too much through with the situation in the House, however if Sinema doesn't vote with the Dems on appointments, from judges to committees, it'll make it a complete mess. This was a great opportunity for Biden to quickly pack the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Classic case of making excuses for their failure after the fact. Schumer is the head Democrat in the Senate, it's absolutely a knock on him that he can't rally his party to achieve a political aim, especially one that would be an absolute win for them as a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,618 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Are not aware both Sinema and Manchin explicitly said that they weren't going to move the filibuster?

Anyone paying any attention to what happenings are in US politics knew their position on this.

Calling it 'one of the worst missteps in modern political history' only suggests an ignorance on your part I'm afraid.

There are other parliamentary avenues that could have been explored, similar to other areas that allow for Reconciliation. Any way you want to excuse it, it's a failure. They're politicians, if they can't work a deal to garner the support within their party to rule effectively, that's a fairly damning indictment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Sure - it is also 'their failure' and 'a knock on him' for not being able to turn water into wine.

It only goes to show what an effective job Biden and the Dems have done over the last 2 years that the items that you choose to bring up as failures are things that were impossible to achieve based on the situation they found themselves in the shape of Congress.

• Advertisement

So clearly it wasn't 'One of the worst missteps in modern political history.' as you claimed.

I mean, if that was, then every PM/Taoiseach/President/Chancellor that I've been watching for the last 30 years has been an out and out failure.

You have a high bar for success, you must have been appalled at the last guy.

I'm not going to waste time in conversation with someone who has been shown to lie over and over again in threads.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

‘There are other parliamentary avenues that could have been explored’.

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It’s possibly the worst prisoner exchange deal ever.

or possibly the greatest given the low effort of your statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Have ye learnt nothing from the midterms?

The faux outrage is hilarious.

The use of Reconciliation requires any legislation be tied to a budget related item.

In effect, the Dems would need to show the Senate Parliamentarian that their proposals would meet that criteria.

A few examples from an opinion article here:

Voting tax credit, free postage for mail in ballots, free Government ID, funding for early voting. It's an exercise in creative thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭newhouse87

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Love the fact that the article puts as much information about the gender preference as much as the actual alleged crime.

And yet Biden's been accused of "identity politics" on this thread.

Incredible.

Word of advice - quit reading the Daily Mail. It's just for scaring old people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I guess they didn't think trading one of the more notorious illegal arms dealers in the world for him was a fair trade. It's worth noting that Mr Whelan also holds Irish citizenship, and Dublin hasn't been particularly successful at getting him out either. Nor Canada, whose passport he also holds due to that being where he was born of UK citizens.

In the meantime the National Defense Authorization Act seems to be passing. More idiocy. One regulation to make the Army's physical fitness test gender neutral again (We tried that, so few females were passing that Democrats threw a fit and we had to change them), the other to remove the COVID vaccine mandate, which is of course a bunch of mainly Republicans being pretty much idiots. (Though given how many thousands of servicemen were going to be discharged over this in a time of recruiting shortfall, I can see the practical appeal in the reversal)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Is there a legitimate figure for how many servicemen and women wouldn't 're-up' because of the vaccine mandate? Funny but they're o.k. with the rest of the vaccines they have to take. Where are you getting 'thousands' from? When this first came up under TFG, there wasn't a big outcry about it.

Sad but they're willing to get their fellows sick. I'd rather someone in the military be more focused on their peers than themselves. Comes in handy during combat.

'It's possibly the worst prisoner exchange deal ever'

At least this administration did get a US citizen home. That wasn't the case here.

Yes, the Trump administration in 2020 agreed to the release of 5,000 Taliban prisoners

Peace talks between the Afghanistan government and the Taliban, which never made substantial progress, didn’t begin until after the release of the prisoners.

It's a further sign of the hypocrisy in the world of political actions and commentary to see so many people express outrage at the release of Viktor Bout when they give so much support to the arms industry world wide. Kicking out 10% of the arms industry lobbyists or cutting back on the sale of their products, would do vastly more to keep people safe than jailing ten Viktor Bouts.

You talk about hypocrisy ?

I will tell you what real hypocrisy is, the Democrats constantly moaning about gun reform & gun control yet at the same time releasing the world's most notorious arms dealer back to Russia.

You do know when they talk about gun control/reform, they're talking about within the US correct?

Also, arms dealer, not arms producer. See my previous post in relation to that. Focusing on this is akin to saying the source of the drug problem is the street dealer, not the producers of the product, or the consumers.

• Advertisement

It's not a matter of 're-upping', it's a matter of people getting ejected before their term of service expires, I believe under a 'General' as opposed to 'honorable' discharge. So far, the Army has separated some 2,000 servicemen on the matter.

I don't know quite what the figures are in total for active duty, but current figures for National Guard and Army Reserve are 40,000 Guardsmen and 22,000 Army Reservists have refused to take the vaccination. They have been suspended without pay or benefits (thus have not been able to train) since June. There are 360,000 Guardsmen and 188,000 Reservists on the books, so we're looking at over 10%. Given how many people under my command have refused, that 12-15% figure seems about right. In fairness, there are probably also some folks who are using it as an excuse to get out early. I'm fairly sure one of my group is one of them.

Similarly, those are Army figures only. How the other services are doing, I'm not sure.

How does this track with these servicemens acceptance of other vaccination requirements?

I'm surprised the figure is this high even given the antivax movement on it. I figured there'd be some more cop on. There have been a lot of high profile infectious deaths from young and middle aged unvaxed people.

Is there a civilian facing breakdown of these stats by age or anything

I think the difference with the other vaccinations that we have to get is that they have long histories behind them. Any potential long-term effects are well known now.

There's also the issue of the Military mandating a vaccine that didn't physically exist, along with widespread cases of commands ignoring regulations against taking punitive action towards soldiers for not taking the vaccine prior to the mandate.

Biden has said that in the (unlikely) event that HR 8393 reaches his desk, and it just got past the House (but is expected to fail at the Senate), he'll sign it. It would force Puerto Rico to make a binding referendum on what it wants its future status to be.

Puerto Rican politics is dominated by status parties, not "republican" or "democrat", although they do have to choose one side or the other in Congress. (Current rep chose Republican). There's a party for "become a state" (PNP, with about 39% of the vote), a party for "Stay as a territory" (PPD) with about 34%, a party for "Total independence" (PIP) with 7% of the vote. PD (No position on the subject, which is unusual) is also 7%, and the MVC has no preferred position of three, but does suggest a "free association" option.

There have been a number of referenda in recent years, with the PNP and PPD fighting it out more or less neck and neck.

What's interesting about 8393 is that the PR rep (Jeniffer Gonzalez) who co-sponsored it is a member of the PNP. The bill would force voters to choose between statehood (PNP's position), independence (PIP's) and Free Association (MVC). Not listed as an option is "Stay as we are", the PPD's position, the position of the current rep's largest rival. I strongly suspect (And have bounced off my Puerto Rican wife) that if PR were forced to make a binding choice of those three and not allow for even the option of the position held by a third of the voters, it would not go well. Although frankly, even if it were an option, unless there was a strong majority, it still wouldn't go well.

Not sure how this is getting missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The plans for a new embassy, which the administration has quietly advanced in recent weeks, would consolidate Trump’s abrupt policy reversal and violate U.S. precedent both on the status of Jerusalem and on Israel’s ongoing illegal appropriation of Palestinian land. The new embassy would also make the U.S. government an active participant in that appropriation: The planned compound is to be built on land illegally expropriated from Palestinians, whose descendants, including several U.S. citizens, still have a claim to.

Joseph Robinette Biden Jr may not be a pro-labour president but he's certainly a pro-apartheid one.

I was told the past several quarters that we were running into a recession?

Thanks Brandon, GDP above 3.0% again.

Real gross domestic product (GDP) increased at an annual rate of 3.2 percent in the third quarter of 2022 (table 1), according to the “third” estimate released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis. In the second quarter, real GDP decreased 0.6 percent.

The “third” estimate of GDP released today is based on more complete source data than were available for the “second” estimate issued last month. In the second estimate, the increase in real GDP was 2.9 percent.

This guy again, he probably hasnt even heard half of these songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Advertisement