Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

I don’t know anyone looking for schools to be closed or for hysteria. Everyone I know is enjoying the cold weather albeit a little nervous about road conditions. Otherwise it’s nice to be bundling up and getting in the Christmas spirit with a bit of frost or snow

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Dogging in the Liffey Valley Car Parks at 10 am ......in this Baltic Weather ???

Thought all that sort of stuff had finished with the new parking fees ?

Jeeze !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I can't remember this many bluebird days in a row in winter. Great to get some VitD despite the raw cold.

Great buzz around Galway city. Nobody likes shopping on mild wet days. This is perfect.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Calm down lads, I don't see where Kermit has mentioned epic blizzards or anything . it's a cold snap and we don't get too many of those, even in December. I think tonight's temperature might be knocking on the door of -10 in some locations, it has that extra bite this afternoon. Enjoy the winter landscapes and stay safe on the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

streamer beginning to build now in the Irish Sea. Looking on target for south Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There was snow and deep cold in the forecast earlier for North Dublin over the next 24 hours according to ME - now it's been updated to clear skies for the duration. Temps around the zero mark.

Warm enough in the winter sun this afternoon. Most of the ice has long melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Still plenty ice around Cork.

No melt other than where the sun hit. Monday evening holds interest for a few wintry showers across the South, could leave a light deposit.

Also gfs not giving up on giving the South coast getting a pasting on Tuesday. Is it right is the big question but you would imagine it will cause a headache for Met Eireann on whether to issue a warning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

How could anybody say this has been a damp squib?? Fab photos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

My low got down to - 8c last night seems to be the same tonight and even tomorrow night

Fog rolling in here now and temp back down to -1C and it's not even 430pm.

This spell may not have delivered snow to most but its upthere with the best of cold spells for temperature and longevity!! These temps are not normal for Ireland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Friday is now looking like the last properly cold day of this cold spell. This cold spell is certainly one of the longest ones we have had, possibly the coldest and longest since 2010, but the lack of snow and constant radar watching was very disappointing. I will be amazed if we don't get another proper cold spell this winter. One could happen end of December, this mornings GFS 6z brought us very close to the freezer right at the end, but wasn't quite able to pull it off. IF we do get another proper cold spell it could well be colder than the current spell as we will be further on into winter, I just hope the next one is considerably more unstable with no shortage of easterly or north-easterly winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

-0.1 here in North kerry at 176m asl.

Photo from my inlaws this morning

They are in Slovakia 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

I read somewhere that in these parts, Ireland, UK an early December cold snap rarely lasts too long. But cold setting in at the end of December, usually around Christmas preceded a bitter winter. Most of the classic cold winters started on or around Christmas. There's hope yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That Irish Sea streamer looks like it may bring a fair bit of precipitation to somewhere between Greystones and Wicklow town, reminds me of last year when that area got a lot of snow and we got feck all (as usual).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

From netweather radar, somwhere Dublin direction might also be in with a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's been a nice cold spell, aside from the senseless disruption at Dublin Airport (and possibly the other airports too?).

I hoped last night's showers would bring some real snowfall to Dublin City centre and seeing wet snow change to cold rain was a disappointment. Delighted I got to see some snow at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

Whatever about snow, this weather is absolutely glorious on the West coast. All white with frost this morning, then wall to wall sunshine all day. Kids spent most of the day outside. The last time you could do that was early September.

The beaches were noticeably quiet even by winter standards which indicates the people inland were reluctant to travel.

Schools are open tomorrow but most of our roads back here, including main roads are untreated and have treacherous parts. It will be interesting in the morning - the first people out in many cases are kids between 7.30 and 8 getting busses. In the dark it is harder to gauge the state of the road. Lots of nervous busdrivers in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

S Dublin/Wicklow might do decent from these showers feeding in from the Irish Sea. Would be surprised if we didn’t hear reports from these locations soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Genuine question: Does having an interest in, and enjoying the subject of, weather necessitate wanting Snow? I'm really enjoying this colder spell but the last thing I'd like to see is snow. At least I assume it's snow you're hopeful for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Sorry haven't posted in a while, was watching the junior Eurovision, Ireland came 4th, give the song a listen its in Irish, sorry this is very off topic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: less of the hostility and watch you're tone , this is not a thread for forcing opinions on anyone, you have made your point and feelings known repeatedly.

Lots of talk about how lovely out this cold spell is. Of course this is about to change and by Wednesday it will absolutely bitter in a strong Easterly wind. Indeed eventhough there's a possible warm up next weekend, the coldest part of this is yet ahead and will hit Tuesday to Thursday. By then it will feel baltic with minus 8 uppers and ice days. For the South nearly all models show some ppn tomorrow evening which could come as a surprise!

Also if predicted minima occur next couple of nights and we do see -5 to -7 widely, this will surely lead to people's home tanks freezing and running out of water..

Streamers coming in off the irish see look promising for east of country. Might get a few cm's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Main school bus provider here in west Mayo not operating tomorrow and can't blame them. The runs out here are primarily on secondary back roads that have not been treated. Would be lunacy to run buses on them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Already -1.3C here near Tralee out by the coast. High of 2.6C.

From this afternoon ,ponds well frozen in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,722 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tonight to be the coldest night of the year according to Met Eireann on VM News

Take Care Everyone

I hope the homeless have some shelter in a centre somewhere

-1.6 north east kildare. Dropping steadily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

Weather will be what it will be, whatever I hope...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement