Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STIHL CONCRETE 12 INCH SAW NOT START

Options
  • 10-12-2022 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Its stihl ts400, put on a new carb, plug and its sparking fine,

even put bit of easy start spray into it and pulled it over but no go either

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Are there high and low tuning screws on the carb?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

If you are trying it too often, it may be flooded. Try pulling out starter cable a few times with the stop switch on, to clear it. Then try the starting procedure again (without choke). Worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Make sure you are using fresh petrol mix. Petrol siting in the tank or in a petrol can for a while soaks up moisture from the air. Worth a try using some fresh petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That'd be my guess too, leave it a few hours and try again from cold start.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If it is flooded, try to start it with full throttle and choke off.

Edit: found this on a quick search:

"Fitted with a decompression valve to aid starting"

Post edited by Esel on

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Did you connect the hose between the crank case and the carb? The pressure from the crank case powers the pump in the carb. No pumping no fuel will get through. I don't know on that 2 stroke engine but its easy to miss on a lot of them as once assembled its in a location where you can't see it, on many you can miss it altogether.

Edit> can't believe it didn't at least fire a couple of times when you sprayed the air filter with easy start, if its sparking OK.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have rebuilt a few of these, how is the compression? The main problem I've seen is the abrasive dust gets into the cylinder and wears the piston and cylinder out in very quick time. Low compression results and no start is the result.

People are slow to clean or replace the filters this is the root cause.

Forty quid sterling would get you a new "chinese" pot and piston https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cylinder-Replacement-Accessories-Wear‑Resistance-Portable/dp/B09MZTRZ4T I don't think I'd be paying nearly three hundred the genuine stihl parts would cost . Might not be perfect but cheap chinese engineering has improved massively over the years and I've had some success with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I agree, for the type of use and user that these saws seem to get a cheap top end kit makes sense, and having seen a lot of the newer Stihl stuff may even come from the same factory!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jenalone

compression not the best but there is some

its got clean fuel and all seems fine, should have at least tried to start when got few sprays of the Easy Start youd think

• Advertisement

New plug and put some 2 stroke mix in the cylinder before you screw it in. Yeah I know you've put a new plug in it but its not starting so try another new plug.

Also check that the HT lead isn't shorting out. Spaying it all over with WD40 can help displace any water that has gotten in to cracks in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jenalone

another new plug and did try oil in the cylinder too but wont even attempt to start

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is the plug wet after starting attempts? If not, no fuel is getting in to the cylinder.

Not your ornery onager

Then there is no spark which maybe because when its all fitted together the HT lead is shorting out. I've a brushcutter that did that would work fine with the cowl off but shorted out when I put the cowl back on. New HT lead fixed it (from a scrap machine) but I kept it going by spraying it with WD40.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I had a job getting my Honda cement mixer going a few days ago (before the real cold even came). Leave it in beside the radiator/range/fireplace to warm it up!

Advertisement