Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

It’s all relative …charge warning at 120km range left and the i3 fully charged …🙈

We have come along way from ‘turtle’ mode in the leaf, one symbol we were used to seeing unfortunately…..

It must be the cold battery + low SOC but as I don't remember having the charge that low before.

Charged to 80% last night and noticed today that I had about 1 quarter of the regen bar greyed out, first time I saw limited regen, power meter didn't show any loss but I did notice a bit sluggish acceleration.

I didn't check the battery temp but you'd think that VW would have had the battery heater come on when the car is plugged in and heat to a decent temp ? I can only imagine how slow DC charging would have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Your going to have to make your peace with this stuff Mad_Lad, it is what it is and unfortunately there ain’t many options if your thinking of changing -

The ev gig has gone mainstream and the issues of pre-heating and restricted regen and battery buffers don’t mean much to most of the folk buying new ev’s. I think someone had to come along earlier and explain turtle mode, most people out there now won’t ever have seen a real life one…the legend of the turtle lives on…

Sin é- I’m done.

Yes I suppose I should make my peace with it all but I do have a tendency to focus on things that I know can and should be different/better especially considering the cost of the cars, a lot of these issues shouldn't exist, in my opinion.

I do know that the id range of cars are not the only electrics with issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Had a wee blast at the new hub in Holywood tonight. Didn't get to enjoy the best of it, got there at 62% but as I had to go on to Dublin I took the full 35 minutes on the 150kW.

58kW was the best I got, ended on 93% and 36kW.

What a place though, outstanding. Maxol showing eCars how it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭eagerv

I had my ID for a year and 5 months, but over two winters. The days I saw under double digit temperatures in the South East were few and far between. Ok, I am not an early starter, rarely leaving before 11 am😁

Today drove up to Belfast early in my Model 3 (About 320+km) and was freezing the whole trip apart from the few sunny bits. My regen was severley limited for the first 50 km or so, with freezing fog. Even on the Supercharger at Belfast the car said it was heating the battery for best speed for the temperature. Started at 60kW and best I saw was 80kW before it slowed to about 40kW at 90%.

This is a lot colder than normal, but must say I love the dry frosty weather. (Though roads were sh1te today). All EVs suffer similarly, but at least in 10 days the days will be getting longer...😎

• Registered Users Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Had some fun heading home early this morning, ended up sliding backwards (and occasionally sideways) down a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Even on the Supercharger at Belfast the car said it was heating the battery for best speed for the temperature. Started at 60kW and best I saw was 80kW before it slowed to about 40kW at 90%.

I thought the idea was that the Teslas heated the battery before you got to the charge point so that it would be primed to give max rate from the get go?

Did you navigate to the Supercharger so it could do that or did you just rock up?

Yes, made a bit of a mistake, navigated to Tesla Belfast rather than the Supercharger. Didn't really matter anyway, didn't take very long; had a wander around the stock at Belfast.

The point I was making was that even after 320km or whatever, battery still had not heated up enough for faster charging.

• Advertisement

Back to milder but wet weather for the weekend, current forecast, I love the cold when it's dry and bright but crappy damp and cold I don't like, a bit of snow would be nice for Christmas but my bet is that it will be Cloudy, 8-10 Deg and damp, the usual.

Anyway, I estimate I'd still get 300-320 Kms out of the tour 5 in this weather which isn't too bad at decent speeds too. Fast charging, I wouldn't even bother because while the id3 used to heat to 12 Deg C all the time, now it won't heat the battery at all unless it reached 0 deg C I believe but it will probably turn off again at 5 deg, at those temps, forget it.

The real issue is that the tech is there to allow the battery in the M3 and ID3 to heat it to a suitable temp and while the M3 might only heat when it reaches a supercharger the id3 won't heat it at all. Really dumb decisions.

I believe the head lads in these car companies should be made drive the cars in dead of winter and suffer the slow charging.

Does the M3 only preheat if it knows it's going only to a supercharger ? what about any DC charger ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Did it make it to Belfast on the one charge?????*

*ie the charge at Belfast Supercharger was 1st charge of the day

No, chickened out at Castlebellingham but only put in a very quick 10kWh. Would have made it alright to Belfast and saved myself a few bob, but a bit squeeky with the low temperatures.😊. Didn't navigate to Castlebellingham SuC either, didn't need the battery to preheat for that small amount. Barely had time to go to the loo..

Pic of my screen at exactly 50% battery somewhere north of Dublin airport while driving. (Left home with 100% and car preheated). But I did stop at Dublin Airport for about 45mins or so with heater on and Flightradar 24 on the big screen, which wouldn't be included in photo figures. I reckon the usable battery in my car is somewhere around 56 or 57kWh. But yesterday on my 320 km pus trip weather was very cold and I tried where possible to keep motorway driving at 110 km/h indicated. Never used as much windscreen washer on a trip, must remember to fill up before coming home tomorrow. Still don't know what size battery buffer is in my car, but I believe it's smaller than the latest cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

22kWh/100km in heavy rush hour traffic this morning. I thought EVs were good in this! I got 18kWh driving home in -2 last night :)

I saw 25 Kwh/100 Km this morning on the M9 @120 Km/Hr by the time I got to Grangecastle it dropped to 20. Heater 23 Deg C because electrics just do not heat like an ICE and I firmly believe that 23 Deg in most electrics is actually 19-20 deg..... I must get a thermometer.

Unless I was going on a really long drive I'm not bothered about consumption.

I think only to supercharger but could be wrong. Tbh the charging has been fast enough for me even without preheat. Not charging as much away from home as when I had the id.3. But that was often due to having 2000 free kWh to use up🤣. Using more home electricity now but thankfully my night rate is now cheaper than when I had the ID.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Perhaps a stupid question. I keep hearing articles on the radio to ask people to turn on their fog lights.

I have a family, I know there is a button for a rear fog light, is there another, is that what the front bad weather light is? What does that light look like. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yeah the 'bad weather' light is the front fog lights.

Thanks, so I have literally no way to see what that does. I know the light bar that connects across the VW badge, are the fog lights some extra intense light or something different. Everytime I leave the drivers seat thinks turn off.

• Advertisement

Don't believe too much of the forecast. Jet stream looks to be staying south of Ireland, so will probably be either polar continental or polar maritime; ie it looks like staying bloody cold.😯.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Yesterday parked beside a large window I could see that a lower area of the lights lit up when I pushed the button. They were angled down like typical fog lights. That's on a 1st plus with matrix lights

We'll see, my bet is back to the wind and rain :-)

Ah yeah the mild wet windy weather usually is the dominant form of weather so reasonable to assume any cold spell will be very brief. I'd rather the cold and dryer weather, it would be nice to have a decent bit of snow over the Christmas.

I received a minor update today, no idea what the changes were, it didn't tell me. Anyone else get this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

Getting 'unable to load connection status' on the console since yesterday. Car had been idle for over a week before this. Rebooted the console yesterday & today but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭fits

Me too. I normally just wait for it to right itself - which it usually does.

went up to Dublin with kids yesterday. Have to say the car is so comfortable these days with the preheating etc. I’m not sure I could be without the heated seats again.

fast charging issues no problem for us as we can do the round trip to Dublin easily with plenty range left over. We don’t often go further than that.

Doing Galway - Dublin airport return next week, any tips for heating/charging strategy? Assuming the weather will be not great either wet or very cold.

All I know to do is set the cabin to 21 prior to departure while plugged in.

Family, 58Kwhr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Getting 'unable to load connection status' on the console since yesterday. The ID software really leaves something to be desired. https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/14/23508088/volkswagen-software-id4-bug-problem-smartphone

Advertisement