Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I can second that although it's extremely foggy here haven't seen it as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

To me this is textbook "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes" weather. It's cold and icy, yes, but also clear and gorgeous and once you've a decent coat, hat, gloves and most importantly, boots, you can stay out for hours in it.

I dunno wtf the ripped jeans, bare ankles and canvas runners brigade think they're at though.

And let's just all agree not to talk about the "You can have my shorts when you pry them off my cold, dead body" contingent. No idea what they're trying to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

IT FEELS ALIVE!

Fog coming and going still.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Was -3.8 earlier in the evening, when sky was clear, fog rolled in and the temperature is now -1.1, still a grand night out there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The roads have been ok in Galway for the past few days due to the dry air but tomorrow could be very tricky.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Got a message earlier this evening to come in to work later in the day tomorrow, due to the freezing temperatures. Be safe and careful on the road.

Swipe the card for one and our pay won't be docked. Nice one 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

You'll be the Boardsie I remember most from this cold snap, or what you said wasn't going to be any sort of cold or snap a few days ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just beautiful in Galway city today, was up early to see the magnificent hoar frost, one of the thickest frosts I've ever seen, looks like it snowed in many places!

Despite getting up to 3°c and unbroken sunshine from sunrise to sunset, only frost in direct sunlight thawed and that refroze immediately at 4:30pm. Some streets and gardens that didn't see sun are still covered in a sheet of white.

Very cold out now, with an extremely dense freezing fog, coating everything in a glistening white.

Long may it last!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Lovely to look at but the lack of gritting on roads is an issue, I will have great fun at 5:30am as I head for work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Robwindstorm

This is the coldest December weather since 2010 which was extreme. It looks like the next couple of days temperatures won't get above freezing during the day with fog making journeys difficult. So in my opinion this weather is rare enough. If we have to wait another 12 years for a December this cold we are going to look alot different when we look at ourselves in the mirror in 2034. Take care everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yeah was about this morning myself at that time, place was like an icerink, be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭maebee

Re the Thread Title -

"Turning progressively colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice at night"

Can the "at night" be removed as it's not correct. Widespread frost and ice is a day long thing in this cold snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Finner camp reporting snow at 11pm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

@Gusser09 OK seriously, though, you've made your point and then belaboured it. And I actually agree with you, this weather isn't anything approaching extreme. But we get it. You can stop now.

Very cold out there

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Very cold. where your graphic says -1 for my location it is -2.8

The 18z ECM rolling out now, it would be great to see the Cork snow shield broken with so much moisture from the south and some cold from further north, it's most probably not going to happen, but at this stage Cork really does deserve a belt of the #sneachta

• There was a map doing the rounds with a -7ºC for West Cork and Kerry tonight. Have we actually had those kinds of temperatures or is that only way up the mountains somewhere?

It's a French website not so good i noticed myself :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Fog forming in waterford and it's -1c

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The sounds of intense cold/ice are delicious!

My drive is long and an overgrown wild flower haven. The grass is wide bladed and long and gives a satisfying CRUNCH as you walk.. And hoar frosted.

I still have nasturium and marigold buds in hiding ..

I knitted a big bag of warm woolly hats for my good neighbour the ferryman and his family.. Keep them snug on the water.

A beautiful season... Ephemeral and all the more lovely for it . And the mountain views I posted are at my gate.

Please take care out there. Thank you!

West Mayo offshore

Post edited by Graces7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Electricity just went where I am on Northside of Cork City - not sure if if it’s one of these rolling blackouts or what! Woke up to our alarm beeping. Pretty hard frost outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Foggy in spots this morning around Clondalkin and Lucan

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Athenry top cold spot again this morning. -7c at 0600.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

Ashford in wicklow, only a few kilometres from coast is currently reading -5.5. Which is a degree and a half higher than it’s 2010 record. That’s very feckin cold for this neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

-1.5 ,on the m50.. have to say main roads are fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭fits

Thermometer on my heat pump is saying it’s 0C outside. Thick fog insulating us in Carlow I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement