Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Some of us still do.. Always candles ready to light..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yes I agree. When was the last time we saw so many bluebird blue sky days in December? My step counter is on overdrive! Today will be trickier due to the slippy roads.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

-2.5 here in Sth Kilkenny at 7.30 this morning - Fairly thick fog, no frost. Very still morning still, no wind at all.So the fog will be around for the day id say.

All the scaremongering is ridiculous as it is funny .... Youd swear some of those 'reporters' got their reports off some people in this thread !!!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The fog is the worst part of this, it may mean slightly warmer temperatures at night but it has barely lifted during the day for several days where I am. -2 and foggy at night then similar during the day. No sun to heat the house. Depressing stuff. I'd rather have -7 at night followed by a cold sunny day than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Lowest temp at Met station is -8.9c in Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Feels colder than it is. Real bone chilling damp air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭almostthere12

Still -5C in Cork at 9am. As for what later today and tomorrow might hold, the below is for this evening, looks like this might be sleet for Cork:

Hopefully tomorrow will bring some more widespread snow although amounts do look small:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Its gonna be milder from Sat onwards.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭micks_address

how is burning oil and solid fuel making your electric meter spin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭micks_address

i really hope it is milder.. i dont mind the cold weather but a lot of people will be on the move next weekend and it would be nice to not have the worry of dangerous road conditions.. it can freeze/snow all it wants for christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

10° degrees on Sun, strong SE winds on Mon &Tue with rain 🌧. Back to normal routine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Charts look more sleety now all right for the SW, S and not pushing as far inland, a fairly weak affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

I feel so sorry for the birds. They have short lifespans so wouldn't remember 2010 or listen to Met Eireann. It must seem like end of days to them when everything freezes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Deep cold now in the ground here in Cork. Whatever falls here tonight/tomorrow is likely to freeze on contact. So if it doesn't snow your talking freezing rain and very dangerous set up. That's of course IF the ppn does reach Cork which is uncertain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Roads surprisingly quiet this morning. A lot of people must have decided to stay put.

It's strange how -3 can feel warmer than +6 or +7 with a breeze.

Anyway from next weekend we'll be back to t-shirt weather!! Wouldn't be shocked to see us hitting +13 or +14 before the year is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

No frost in this part of cork city last night, ballinlough/Douglas area. Felt every bit as cold as the previous few nights just no frost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I want to see cars driving across lakes like 2010. Then it's severe cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

How does the water get around your system. Its called a pump. What generates the power to that pump. Go on have a guess? Then put a smiley face on the end of your answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

A bit envious of the clips of the snow in parts of the UK this morning, looks bliss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Snizzle falling in Naas now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

The fog in cork city has... turned into mist droplet size bits of snow!

EDIT: And stopped, gave the cars and grass a bit of white covering though. Bitterly cold out

What are the well known power issues in Ireland?

I remember blackouts due to esb strikes but when were power cuts common due to supply issues?

And as you have said yourself, rolling blackout here would be no big deal once people are prewarned yet the media and opposition TD's are jumping all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Sorry, I know not Ireland but I'm giddy at the snow over here and would've been a lurker in the snow threads over the years when we were still in Ireland, always hoping for some of that white gold in winter in Greystones where we used to live. The above two photos were taken a day apart on Friday and Saturday just gone where we are in the countryside. It's -6 degrees here today and two weeks ago we had 16 degrees one of the days. White winters are the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Heart breaking looking at the large showers off the West Coast moving North

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Post edited by Storm 10 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Freezing fog and bitter here in Galway City this morning, everything still frozen solid, including it appears our central heating. Won't fire up this morning. Very irritating.

A 100w pump won't send your esb meter spinning. And if its on the lowest setting it be more like 50w.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If we end up with an alternating pattern between south westerlies and north westerlies, temperatues will probably not get up that high, the milder weather won't last too long in that scenario too. We would also see some brief cold spells in such a setup ,with perhaps snow at night in places

• Advertisement

That's not good. Your pipes should be deep enough and insulated enough to withstand this level of cold even though every cold night pushes the freezing level deeper.

When it does thaw, keep the heating running in small bursts every couple of hours to keep pipes from freezing on the very cold nights.

Still -5C in Athenry at 10am.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement