Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

But the PD hires the coaches, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It was reported that in Nucifora's big state of the union address is early November that his contract was up after the World Cup but he wanted to stay longer but he wanted to be transitioning to his replacement rather than finishing up and have his replacement start when he finished.

Money stuff. Consulting with Nucifora on money vs rugby decisions.

I posted a summary of a bunch of things he spoke about during his big address in early November. He has a significant role in everything he spoke about.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119801940/#Comment_119801940

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I reckon Leo would be ideal in Nucifora's position. Leinster should retain him though, he's done very well. Maybe he will get Farrells job when Farrell leaves.

When is Nucifora leaving? I think he's done fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

His contract is up after the world cup. He expects to add another year but would like it to be with his successor in place and slowly transition his role.

There's a lot going on that Nucifora is involved in that requires a delicate handover.

Leo would be an obvious choice bar one glaring factor. Nucifora has no historical ties or allegiance to any of the provinces and given the nature of the role and the need to make tough decisions around player movement his perceived impartiality has allowed him to escape accusations of bias.

Apart from screwing Ulster for the lols he's generally not overtly favoured any province and even if Leo adopted the same decision making process it would be difficult for him to escape his Leinster shadow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ersatz

it's a fair point but I think this position is very different to a rugby coach or a role like that where someone is often hired because they bring a new vision and have a path to success that they wish to implement. Right now the IRFU seems to already have much of that development and strategy part figured out. As much as anything I'd say they will be looking for continuity and to build on what's been achieved already. The role is one of the few that has visibility into the entire state of rugby on the island and the most important components are (likely) player pathways and coaching talent, so nurturing those and continuing to develop the parts of the system that are working while helping clubs develop in their ability to bring players to the professional track are, I'd say, the most vital parts of the role. Yes, they have a massive say in what players can be brought in from abroad, who gets central contracts, etc. but I doubt Nucifora is down in the weeds about the style of play that should be developed between the provinces and the Irish team, I would say that job is much more concerned with the production line of young players/coaches and how that can be improved and how the IRFU needs to orient itself to maximize success there. I doubt they'll hire someone who wants to make drastic changes to the system that's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

We fear change!

I agree that the IRFU would not want drastic changes. But no system is perfect. I thought an outsider (Nucifora) was the right type of person to oversee the Provincial structure, operations and the link to the senior team.

The Irish Provincial and Senior setup is now on such a strong footing I'm sure the job description would be well defined. Insider v Outsider may not be that important.

Insider Pro's: Somebody who has worked in the system and knows the Pro's & Con's. Relatively seamless transition.

Outsider Pro's: Fresh set of eyes and no perceived provincial bias.

Personally I would lean towards an insider because I think Cullen is the best candidate and the IRFU should be doing everything they can to keep him within the system.

As far as I can see it Cullen's biggest dilemma would be IF he had to move players on from Leinster. Weakening them in the short term but for the greater good of the Senior team.

e.g. Jenkins (that old chestnut) in 2024

&

a) IF the other Provinces didn't have Irish internationals and real emerging prospects (Edogbo. Still cant believe he's only 19)

&

b) IF Leinster had the Irish internationals Ryan, McCarthy, Baird (for the sake of example) AND a glut of real prospects (Deeney, Soroka, O'Tighnernaigh, Mangan, Spicer)

Personally I think he's professional enough and an even minded individual that his Leinster feelings wouldn't come into it.

Carbery might even have to be moved back to Leinster in 2024!!

Post edited by ionadnapokot on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Oh, God, could Connacht not use him as backup?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There's a big interview with Calvin Nash in the Sunday Times today, few interesting snippets (he didn't appear to be a fan of JVG) but this stuck out a bit, note this is the journalist saying it, not Nash:

"His coaches were impressed by his curiosity, his hunger for information, his willingness to leave his wing in search of work — a trait shared by wings such as James Lowe and Mack Hansen, but not so much by Robert Baloucoune."

Certainly not how I'd view Baloucoune when he's playing for Ulster, he seems to show up all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ah no, Balacoune is a far more traditional winger. He isn’t one to go roving about the place at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Nash has grasped the opportunity given to him in Munster by injuries to Earls, Conway and Zebo to show that he is more than capable for stepping up. It will be interesting to see who wins/loses in Munster as those players return from injury. Is he succeeds there then he can start looking towards Ireland where he will once again face tough opposition to get into a match day squad. I like him so obviously Id' love to see him progress.

Yeah, I think he's been excellent. He's a quite similar winger to Andrew Conway imo, in that he brings really good defensive solidity and great diligence and effort on kick chases etc, but is also quick enough to be a serious threat when opportunities are presented. He's had a really good year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sleepy Joseph

No Ulster player should be near the Ireland 23 based on that performance over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

No Ireland 23 should ever be decided based on 1 provincial game. But it’s not like any of the guys in that Ulster side are currently in a first choice 23 anyway. Herring and Treadwell are next cabs off the rank but Sheehan, Kelleher, Ryan, Beirne and Henderson are ahead of all of those. There isn’t really anyone else realistically that close to the 23. Maybe McCloskey and Lowry, but they’re debatable.

EDIT: Timoney is in the mix in the back row too obviously. But again, as a next cab off the rank.

I would say Lowry's relatively indifferent form this year has probably pushed him a bit further back in the queue than he would have been at 6N time. Obviously Keenan is a clear number one, but indications are Jimmy O'Brien might be next in mgmt's thinking, and to me then, Mike Haley has earned the right to be next with his performances of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i didnt follow the game as it was happening and judging just by the score it looks terrible, but in fairness it sounds like the travel situation disrupted things massively so that probably was a factor

having said that, if everyone is available id probably have henderson and moore on the bench and thats about it from ulster if i were picking the 23 - nothing to do with the sale game though. doak will probably push into the squad at some stage after the rwc too and guys like mccloskey, balacoune, timoney and herring are options if needed

McCloskey still has plenty of goodwill in the bank after the autumn I'm sure.

You can't just dump players after 1 awful outing! If that was the case, Murray would have pissed off 4 years ago!

Treadwell has credit too. He played really well v Leinster. Lowry is probably waning. He's not big enough. McCloskey will be in the mix as will Timoney.

Ulster have had a terrible week, which will probably get worse this week.

Lowry I'd say has lost a lot of ground to JOB since the start of Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Silly comment. People said the same about Munster after their bad play off loss against ... Guess who! Ulster!

Sport is fickle. One club game doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of international rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hume has probably dropped down the pecking order as well. It's a bit unfair as he has been injured a lot, but he isn't near his performances of last season either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It's been stop start for him in terms.of injuries, but on form Ulster should be picking Luke Marshall ahead of him never mind what Ireland are thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

James Cronin is having a superb game for Leicester against Clermont. We could really do with him now. Bizarre that he was always frozen out when you see what he's doing for the best team in England, particularly given our dearth of quality at loosehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Johann Van Grannnnnnn... what a disaster he was....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Who's "we" ??

Cronin was never anything more than a bit part player for Ireland six years ago.

He's enjoying his time hitting rucks for Leicester and fair dues for that, but nah, Ireland do not miss him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Cronin was behind Healy and Jack McGrath in the Ireland pecking order at the time. He was a decent player but was never making it past either.

Healy is our greatest ever loosehead and McGrath was a test Lion.

I reckon Cronin would be in the frame. I think he's a good all round player. Fair play to him. He deserves to make money and he seems to be enjoying himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

McGrath was a test Lion 5 years ago and fell off a cliff after that. Healy hasn't been a top class player for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Loughman suits the Irish system in many other facets than Cronin. The right choice was made there

Advertisement