Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store Lambs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Just went onto LSL after I seen your posts not many store lambs in Stanolar mart this evening, good few ewes with lambs though. There still knocking about at around €200 a piece depending on age and strength of lamb, but if I was you I look for ewes already sheared save you the hassle - 10 ewes fleeces at 2kg a fleece wouldn't even get you and your missus a 99 cone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Will there be many lads buying them this year? Trade is good but meal will be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Looking at Tullow mart online, 35-39 kgs making 100 with the weight, fat lamb's making 115-120 with the weight, margin would be small even if finished off grass alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Didn't the fat lambs take a jump back in price last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah ill buy again , prices will come back once we get into september. grass will disapeer quick from mid august this year with not much fertiliser spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Some prices in Drumshambo for stores last Thursday

11 lambs €68 @26kg

56 lambs €115 @36.5kg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Wonder will it be another ten days to fortnight before men that have got hay/silage saved off meadows in last few good spells will be coming into the market to buy store lambs?......is there much nice aftergrass coming from the midlands down to Southeast?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Some price's from Tullow yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

I think light store are gona be a terrible trade this year if your selling. If your buying there will be value got !

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Country lad

sold 60 lambs yesterday to a neighbour of mine as he buys them every year probally averaged about 34 kg and got 97 euro for them happy enough.kept the heaviest and smallest lambs myself as its great to have a good customer for my store lambs .

• Advertisement

Are stores a good trade this year? I haven't been in the mart yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

If you're buying, there was better value a couple of weeks back. I heard today that there was a much better trade in Macroom yesterday.

bought 51 last week 38kg averaged 102 eur. reseeded 20 acre field so didnt go to kerry this year, bought a batch of 25kg lambs last year in it and lost a few, ill never buy anything under 32 kg again , trying get stronger lambs from now on. no money in dead ones.

Was hard get 32kg lambs last year at fair value though, I ended up having to buy lighter ones too as didn't want spending over 100 euro for store lambs over 30kg. Luckily they went very well for me, but bought full bred texel ewe store lambs this year at 30kg for 85 euro a piece 8bweeks ago and there averaging 41kg now already

thats good business

That’s serious thrive. I thought a kg per week was good. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭daviddenis

Bought light lambs 25/30kg. Puting them into shed with bale and trading them to eat. Shearing and dosing them.

Would you hetevac p them?

I would always heptavac, especially important if shearing them as they will be more suseptible to the cold even in doors. More than pays for itself with the cost of a few dead ones.

Will take serious amount of meal now to finnish them lambs. They will at least eat minimum a kilo of meal each a day, and should be gaining minimum 1kg weight a week providing the have a decent frame. My advice would be if they are smallish and don't have a frame that could hold 22kg dead weight then leave them outside and throw your best silage as well as a decent grass field at them and try get a frame on them of at least 35kg before fattening on full meal in the shed.

lost a few lambs to sudden death so heptavp plus everything last weekend, i must have a growing problem of pasteurllia here the last few years so im going to do all lambs on the farm in mid august when weaned from now on and all stores bought in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭kk.man

I lost 4 last year and they got one shot. I have done the two this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭daviddenis

It will be interesting I'm going to weigh mine after shear them and weight them after every 30 weeks. I'll see how get on. Pure gamble. 🙈

30 days I presume, heed be fairly tuff after 30 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

one shot runs out after a couple month and is never as strong as two shots

Yes those died about 10 weeks after the injection.

Are lads feeding much meal at the minute? Only bought 30 this year as I've too many cattle. Was thinking of feeding 3 bags a week for 2 months. What are lads paying for bagged meal at the minute? The grass has been great so far.

Did you see this utube vlog https://youtu.be/8F6ogprLD2c

very interesting ... I'd say not many in a rush to feed till price vastly improves. If price doesn't go up to justify feeding then going to have an overhang of hoggets in the spring which will also damage the spring lamb trade.

Yeah will be interesting to see the hogget carryover this year

A nice shed and race.

Lovely operation.....You wouldn't want to build it on the returns of the store lamb trade.

• Advertisement

Definitely not this year, since 2018 there has been fairly decent returns. This year is an absolute disaster, the worst year I have ever seen for store lambs meal up on 13 euro a bag and with the dire prices at the factory now, you called it spot on the carryover into next spring with hogget's for factory will be something fierce and it will F'Up the Easter early lamb trade, where producers will also get hole opened with meal feeding ewes 20% protein nuts indoors.

Advertisement