Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Status Orange - Freezing Fog warning for Connacht, Carlow, Dublin, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Meath, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Clare, Limerick, Tipperary

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Freezing fog, dense in places, will persist through the afternoon and into tonight, leading to very hazardous driving conditions.

Valid: 12:00 Monday 12/12/2022 to 00:00 Tuesday 13/12/2022

Issued: 10:49 Monday 12/12/2022

Strange, they seem to have forgotten Cork :p Freezing fog all morning here and looks to be getting denser

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

Problem with wind generation is there is still no feasible way to store it. Great for the time it's breezy/windy, no good at other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭feelings

Beautiful this morning. Feeling more like Winter now 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

Tullamore Rural

Bitter out with current Temp of -4c

The temperature is lower now than most of last night.

Heavy freezing fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Got a low of -6.6c here last night near Roundwood. Still -1.2c. Doubt we'll get an ice day in this sunshine. Only ice day I've had at my location in 20 years was in late Feb 2018. Was a windy cloudy day with temp hovering around -2c all day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

According to 1100 reports, -1c and freezing rain reported at Johnstown Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

How long are these conditions mean to last?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hitting +10 on Saturday with of highs of +12 possible on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Hopefully its because the wind will pick up a bit down here this evening and blow a few of those snow clouds ashore! Looks like the south coast may see precipitation in the early evening, short range models showing it as showers of rain/sleet but it was still -4 at Cork airport at 11am and my station says it is -2 even now so you'd have to be a little bit hopeful. Same if we can get some of the system skimming the south coast tomorrow night to come a little bit ashore. It will be hitting really imbedded cold.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not often you see midday temperatures of -3C widely across the country. This has to be up there with one of the coldest days since December 2010.

Huge change on last winter where I can barely remember temperatures under 5C throughout that entire winter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got down to -5.1C here near Tralee, still below freezing at -0.3C.

Beautiful morning. Working from home too today so time to stretch the legs for a walk before the next Zoom meeting 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Up to an inch of frost has accumulated on roofs, cars and walls around town here. And much evidence that many the frost ball were made and thrown by the local pups!

Temp still around minus 3c but sun is really strong now so temo likely to rise rapidly from here on in. Probably the last day of the very low temps in this part of the country.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Noticeably colder on todays walk, first day my hiking boots had a few small slips on the iced paths.

Beautiful day, could have been walking around St Petersburg not Dublin.

Not getting above -2 here. If we get the +12 forecasted for Sunday that'll be some change. 15 degrees warmer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A bit generous with the temperature predictions for Sat I think , rain looks set to sweep up over the country on Sunday bringing those mild temperatures to all areas eventually but Saturday could still be quite cold with frost possible in Northern counties, bit milder along coastal fringes especially along the South .

At least we will get a proper thaw in though if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Interestingly, it's -1. currently still but the "fog"/"mist" is melting the ice off the cars! So maybe it's not freezing fog anymore.

0600 and 0700 temps for Athenry, -7C, and Mace Head 5C, 12 degrees difference across the same county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

My da decides that because the boiler is being serviced today (by a neighbour who is a plumber, but we have no idea when he will be here) it can't be turned on at all. I have a jacket and a hat on and my fingers are frozen.

Is there any legitimate reason why a boiler can't be turned on before a service, anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Yip my car ice scrapper was of no use this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Pissing rain in South wexford

Fog fully cleared here in Kildare North. Temps still -2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Irish sea drying up just as the winds turn Eastern/NE is fairly painful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Still pretty foggy in Dublin 8, not as low as earlier!!But weather on the computer keeps telling me to expect heavy snow

• Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

We broke the coldest in Ireland last night at -7.2 here in Athenry/Craughwell. Beautiful day.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Banarol

I see a comment on the weather article on the journal.ie saying its just bog standard December weather in Ireland. The comment received many thumbs up. I suppose many casual weather observers don't take into account December temperature averages. Its Winter and you get cold weather is their logic. For the majority to sit up and take notice, it would take major disruption due to snowfalls. This spell while very cold is causing minimal disruption and is not a notable spell to Joe soap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Lovely now in d16. Cold but sunny.

Managed to survive my walk without falling. Its all about the small wins.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement