Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Nothing, for an ordinary citizen. But again, he’s a public figure, attached, a senior politician, and he would have known the SIPO report was coming out - he should have known better than to do anything to bring a spotlight on him at this time, and that is why I am saying his behaviour is reckless and is a poor reflection of his judgement. I’m not saying him sniffing the guy was reckless, I’m saying his behaviour is. Do you really not see or understand the difference here?

Also, do you know anyone in an open relationship? I suspect not. Because the one rule the majority of people in those relationships have is not to do anything to embarrass the other - do what you want but not in public and don’t humiliate me. Those who I have spoken to about this have said he has broken the golden rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He lived his life in the spotlight for the past 15 years. If he decided not to go out for a pint or a snog to avoid the spotlight, he'd be living the life of a hermit. It's his choice when he decides to go nightclubbing. It's nothing to do with being reckless.

As for golden rules within relationships, that is absolutely none of your business. His relationship is his business.

The only recklessness I see here is from nosey feckers who want to judge what other people get up to in nightclubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Agreed

Initially when this cropped up I was thinking, oh, this is probably gonna bite Leo, but then I thought, really, who cares?

It's not really a talking point or anything to get het up over

Again, you’re completely missing the point - it’s not about the snogging - but fire away hiding behind that as your defence.

Hypothetically speaking - seeing as you said it was no one’s business what he does in a nightclub - if he was doing illegal drugs, would that be ok too?

What is disgraceful about snogging in a night club? While it's a long time since I've visited, isn't that pretty much what night clubs are for?

This is just prurient morality policing. I'm the last person that wants to defend Vradakar, he's a blue blooded Tory who largely failed to deliver for his party, his various Ministries and for the country. But he can do whatever the hell he likes when he's in a night club, as long as it is legal.

Did you miss the post where I said;

Why is it anyone else's business what he gets up to in night clubs, as long as he's not breaking the law?

If it's not about the snogging, what exactly is it about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There is nothing disgraceful about ordinary folk snogging in nightclubs, on the streets, in the park or preferably at home in their beds.

Leo Varadkar is not an ordinary citizen, that's the crunch. If true, this was a major lapse of judgement. Coveney should be appointed Taoiseach in a few days and let Leo ruminate on the back benches for a while. Might just be good for the party too.

When did these rules come in? Is it OK for straight politicians to snog people in nightclubs? What if they don't use tongues? Is a good old lip smacking kiss OK? And what about the hands - above the waist or below the waist? Can you be specific about what rules you have apparently imposed on adults for no reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I agree with Butthers completely, the lad is about to become the Taoiseach,the leading politician in our country.

I would suggest that that video alone would cost him a lot of votes, and even that obvious reaction would ,for me , question his judgement as a serious politician.

in fact it shows in my opinion disrespect for the electorate and while no laws were broken, not to understand that

given his position in our country there could be huge fallout electorally for his party.

I would suggest his fellow party members were not over pleased at the video.

To say that it was politically unwise is a different matter entirely. That's entirely a matter of opinion, so I'm not going to argue or dispute it. Given that the matter has got practically zero traction, and the grannies most likely to be offended aren't on Twitter, I'm not sure how many votes he's going to lose.

But you know what, maybe we need some politicians who don't live their lives by focus group. If he wants a snog on a Saturday night, it is no one's business except his own.

Your thinking is very strange, I think you likely live in some liberal bubble in Dublin or somewhere like that? No it's not OK for politicians, particularly ministers to be snogging what is thought to be a relative stranger in a nightclub, particularly when politicians are married or have steady partners etc.

You seem to have some idea, that just because Leo is gay, that he gets a special dispensation to behave differently - as that's gay culture?? Am I right? Well you're wrong, it doesn't matter if he's gay or straight - the same basic rules apply as to how you carry yourself in public.

If you don't understand that, you don't understand the Irish electorate. The electorate is far from being as permissive as you seem to assume. This should be cleared up now, otherwise it will be used by political opponents.

'thought to be a relative stranger'? Your thinking is very strange. Where did you get the information on how well or how badly Vradakar knows the other person? If he happens to know the other person well, is everything OK then?

I can only ask again where you're getting these 'basic rules as to how you carry yourself in public' from - can you share more details on these rules please?

No, it’s not completely different, to behave in a manner that is politically unwise and therefore draw attention to yourself at a time when you’re days away from assuming the most senior political post in the country and days away from the publication of a report from SIPO in which 2 members basically said they don’t believe your explanation is reckless. Btw, this was also the first time in the history of SIPO that their findings weren’t unanimous.

So if he was snogging in a nightclub three months ago, that's OK by you? Or three months into the future?

How's your 'drawing attention to yourself' theory working out for ya, given that's he's gotten pretty much no attention on the matter?

The way some are commenting in here you’d almost think Leo planned this and should be congratulated for his public expression of emotion and Gigi’s efforts to break down barriers

Do you honestly think his Strat Comm PR minions were delighted when this became public or something?

This statement is hilariously ironic given there’s likely never been a politician in this country who is more a slave to ficus groups than Leo:

But you know what, maybe we need some politicians who don't live their lives by focus group.

This the same Leo who was against gay marriage until it he found out it was ok to be for it though…..focus group results. Lol.

Utterly predictable to see him play the privacy card too. Pearse Doherty’s run in with the law wasn’t a private matter was it, and Mary Lou’s house doesn’t seem to be private either? Interesting that. Oh and I’m no SF supporter btw, I actually voted FG last time I voted (election before last, I was in the US during our last election).

The saddest part for me with Leo is that when he appeared on the scene I actually thought he was quite promising, he’s done nothing but go down in my opinion the more he exposes his real self. Failed in every ministry he’s held, and moves from one controversy to the next as Tanaiste/Taoiseach,

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

To think that there would not be substantial political fallout from this event would be strange, in my opinion.

Leadership brings certain standards, leaders need to be able to inspire confidence in people.

We have all seen how ‘events’ can influence politics even though no laws have been broken, so I’m afraid this has to be seen as a very bad error of judgement which could be extrapolated to give concern how other decisions of national importance would be handled

What on earth are you talking about? No attention? Really?

To answer your question though - no, it wouldn't. It would still be unbecoming, though not as spectacularly bad as his timing this time around. It's not very becoming of the holder of the office he holds. That position demands certain behavioural standards and responsibilities. How you cannot see this is simply astonishing. And I'd bet were it Pearse Doherty, Trump, Boris Johnson, Mary Lou etc. the reaction would be very different.

Call me old-fashioned for expecting the next leader of the country - a man in his 40s btw - not to be out looking for the shift in a nightclub. It's not like the country has many issues to deal with at the moment is it? 🙄

Any chance you'd answer my questions now?

• Advertisement

Can you share these behavioural standards and responsibilities please?

Are you saying there are none that accompany that office?

I see you asisduously avoided answering my questions of course yet continue to expect me to reply to yours.

We all have a moral compass of some sorts, a set of opinions of what's OK and what's not OK. We get this moral compass from family, friends, civic society, religion etc.

I'd regard myself as fairly liberal on the whole and fairly typical of Irish society in general - live and let live etc. But there's a difference between being liberal and decadence. Like many happy to accept Leo as a gay Taoiseach and that he should have a longstanding partner for several years. However if this video clip is true, going off to a nightclub to shift younger men is off my and many other peoples liberal compass. That morally and culturally inappropriate for a senior politician - it's decadent and we don't need a leader mired in decadence.

I suggest that if you think it's OK, then your moral compass is out of whack.

Hopefully sense will prevail, Leo will step aside with some suitable explanation and FG can appoint Coveney instead. He's been in foreign affairs quit a while and that's a brief that will suit the departing Taoiseach.

You have your moral compass. I have mine. Vradakar has his.

You don’t get to impose your moral compass on me or Vradakar or anyone else.

I’m saying there are no standards that relate to legal behaviour in a night club. Are we to go back to the days of the priest reading people off the altar when he doesn’t approve?

• Advertisement

Indeed but the citizens and voters of this Republic will impose their moral compass when it comes to expressing unease to their local TDs and when it comes to elections. He can do what he wants then as a private citizen.

Since you asked..... from the UK (source at the end). A bit long but worth reading, as is the fuller document linked below.

The seven principles of public life

The principles of public life apply to anyone who works as a public office-holder. This

includes all those who are elected or appointed to public office, nationally and locally,

and all people appointed to work in the civil service, local government, the police, courts

and probation services, NDPBs, and in the health, education, social and care services.

All public office-holders are both servants of the public and stewards of public resources.

The principles also have application to all those in other sectors delivering public services.

Selflessness Holders of public office should act solely in terms of the public interest.

Integrity Holders of public office must avoid placing themselves under any obligation to people or

organisations that might try inappropriately to influence them in their work. They should

not act or take decisions in order to gain financial or other material benefits for

themselves, their family, or their friends. They must declare and resolve any interests

and relationships.

Objectivity Holders of public office must act and take decisions impartially, fairly and on merit, using

the best evidence and without discrimination or bias.

Accountability Holders of public office are accountable to the public for their decisions and actions and

must submit themselves to the scrutiny necessary to ensure this.

Openness Holders of public office should act and take decisions in an open and transparent manner.

Information should not be withheld from the public unless there are clear and lawful

reasons for so doing.

Honesty Holders of public office should be truthful.

Leadership Holders of public office should exhibit these principles in their own behaviour. They should

actively promote and robustly support the principles and be willing to challenge poor

behaviour wherever it occurs.

To whom should the seven principles apply?

3.11 There is a growing area of ambiguity occupied by people contracted to deliver public services who may not

be public office-holders. We strongly believe that the ethical standards captured by the seven principles

should also apply to such individuals and their organisations. Like traditional public servants they are being

paid public money to provide services on behalf of the community to individuals who may not have a choice

about going elsewhere.

3.12 Principles are what matters in determining what people “should” do as opposed to what they might “get

away with”. But the more ambiguous the circumstances (that is the less the principles might seem to an

individual to be clearly applicable) the less purchase they are likely to have. This seems likely to be

34 TNS BMRB, Review of the descriptors of the seven principles of public life: Report from stage three, report to the Committee, November 2006.25

CHAPTER 3: THE SEVEN PRINCIPLES OF PUBLIC LIFE

particularly important in the case of non-traditional suppliers of public services. Unless the principles are

clearly translated into contracts and clear guidance, it is unlikely that private contractors in particular will

believe that they are unambiguously applicable to them (given the likelihood of conflicts between the

motives of private profit and public service), or spend time deducing from the principles how they are

supposed to behave. There is therefore a responsibility on public office-holders to specify particular and

proportionate ethical requirements in the contracts they let on behalf of the public sector. 35 This is a difficult

area, the implications of which will require some effort to work out in practice. It is an issue of possible

future inquiry for the Committee.

The private behaviour of public office-holders

3.13 The seven principles specifically apply to public life. Public office-holders do, of course, also have private

lives, which are affected by a whole range of emotions and other factors in which the seven principles of

public life are unlikely to be a major consideration.

3.14 It is important both for reasons of principle and to prevent unnecessary inhibitions on willingness to perform

public roles that the privacy of the personal lives of public office-holders should be respected. The legal

protection of the right to privacy under the Human Rights Act 1998 applies to public office-holders as well

as to other citizens.

3.15 On the other hand, the separation between the public and private lives of public office-holders can never

be absolute. There are circumstances in which private behaviour can legitimately affect an individual’s

employment in public office because of its impact on the reputation or integrity of the organisation

concerned.

3.16 Some of these circumstances are recognised in law. If an individual is declared bankrupt or insolvent, for

example, they cannot stand as a Parliamentary candidate and can be denied employment in a wide number

of public posts. Others are incorporated in specific codes. The General Teaching Council for Scotland’s

ethical guidance to teachers, Code of professionalism and conduct, states that:

“You should avoid situations both within and without the professional context which could be in breach

of the criminal law, or may call into question your fitness to teach... you must uphold standards of

personal and professional conduct, honesty and integrity so that the public have confidence in you as

a teacher and teaching as a profession... you should maintain an awareness that as a teacher you are

a role model to pupils.”

These guidelines are clearly intended to apply to teachers’ private as well as public lives. The code is not

statutory. But any serious breach or series of minor breaches of it could lead to an adverse “fitness to

teach” finding and possible sanctions.

3.17 Whatever the law or principle might imply, the public are likely to draw conclusions about an individual’s

public behaviour from what they know of their private behaviour. History provides numerous examples of

apparently scandalous behaviour, usually of a sexual or financial nature, casting such doubt on the

suitability of politicians or others for public office that they have resigned or been removed from their posts.

This is not necessarily an irrational reaction to media pressure – though it can sometimes be. It is not

unreasonable for people to think that individuals who display poor behaviour or bad judgement in their

private lives are at risk of doing the same in their public lives. Moreover, people’s own willingness to behave

well can be critically affected by what they see of the behaviour of those in leadership positions. There is no

reason to think that in doing so they discriminate between behaviour in public and in private roles. One

focus group participant expressed this as follows:

35 See Chapter 7, paragraph 7.7.

36 General Teaching Council for Scotland, Code of professionalism and conduct, May 2008 (revised April 2012), p.6.26

STANDARDS MATTER

“At the end of the day, if you’re in a place of power, you’ve got to be honourable no matter what –

whether you’re at home in bed, or sitting and having tea with the Queen.”

3.18 We are not seeking to impose public morality on private life. But it is important to recognise that there are

occasions when public and private lives can overlap and where private acts that become known can

damage public confidence in office-holders and institutions. There are therefore circumstances in which it is

appropriate to take account of the private behaviour of public office-holders in judging their suitability for

office. Such intrusions should be exceptional, always proportionate, and only happen where the public

interest clearly requires it. The Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards recently expressed it thus in

recommending a revision to the code of conduct for MPs:

“I recognise the House’s concern about any intrusion into a member’s private and personal life. Like

anyone else, Members are entitled to a private and personal life and for that to remain private. Any

intrusion into that should be both necessary and proportionate. There needs to be a very clear public

interest in such intrusion, recognising, as a rule in the Code says, that any conflict between the private

and public interest must be resolved in favour of the public interest.”

3.19 In our view instances where an individual’s private behaviour might affect their public life need to be looked

at case by case. They should be addressed not by a lengthy philosophical debate but by clarity about

acceptable behaviours and possible sanctions.

Source:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'm going out on a limb here to say that Varadkar will not lose his seat if he decides to stand next time. The issue here is a non issue, only getting traction because a poster complained that Brendan O'Connor did not include it in his radio programme. Boards people with agendas also have a poor record in picking winners in politics. Their big hero, Peter Casey went up against Varadkar in Dublin West and got the magnificent total of 495 first preferences. He did a bit better in Donegal with 1,143.

"On Wednesday morning Mr Casey, the businessman and former presidential candidate, submitted his papers to contest the Dublin West race, having submitted papers to stand in Donegal on Tuesday. There is no restriction on a candidate running in multiple constituencies.

Mr Casey said he was running as an Independent in Dublin West to “return the courtesy” for Mr Varadkar telling people not to vote for him in the 2018 presidential election.

Mr Casey said he was running in Donegal because that is where his home and business are but also in Dublin West to give people “an opportunity to register their disgust with Leo Varadkar”.

"He went in the presidential election and told people not to vote for me and I am just returning the courtesy and telling people here, giving them 10 reasons why they should not vote for Leo Varadkar. I am just giving people an opportunity to protest," Mr Casey told The Irish Times."

Ah. Leo scraped in in his own constituency in the last GE on the 5th count. As party leader, that is a shocking performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Astonished that you think a gay man has been cut a fair bit of slack as regards his serial orientation. As if it was a vice.

• Advertisement

Varadkar got the same vote in 2016 when he topped the first preference poll as he did in 2020 when he was second. The big changeover in votes was to Donnelly SF who failed to get elected in 2016 with 6,034, but topped the poll in 2020 with 12,456. In the process taking the votes from Coppinger and Burton which saw them losing their seats. Varadkar is not in danger of losing his seat on all known information. And certainly not on this non issue.

He has been cut a fair bit of slack by the Irish public in these matters. There was a whiff of scandal when Bertie was elected Taoiseach and that his partner was Celia Larkin and so on. It would have been unthinkable then and that's not that long ago, to have a gay Taoiseach with a long term partner. But the public have accepted this, that was a significant step.

If Bertie was filmed in a night club snogging some young wan, there would equally be great concern. Because that's not how politicians, particularly ministers should carry on. They resign elsewhere for such matters. It's got nothing to do with being gay or not. There seems to be an idea here that sure this is part of gay culture and isn't it all just normal. No, it's not and here's the thing - if the gay community want equality then it or at least people in public life who are gay need to live to the norms of the rest of society.

I first saw this story when it came up and dismissed it as fake news, never thought twice about it. What is unsettling is that it has persisted and drifted into the print media and it seems to be genuine, not fake news. That it made the chat even in a vague way on the conservative and legally careful O'Connor show, is an indication that this matter is being noticed and discussed. What appeared fake news now appears to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Sure Leo's just a regular 40-something out "socialising" and wasn't it great to see him getting along so well with that 20-something youngster. Of course we've all had nights out where we've done the exact same and we'd be shocked if anyone at all had misgivings.

Ireland is in safe hands #chestswellswithpride

The poster did not say bring gay was a vice.

But Leo has played the gay card when it suited him, and has been cut an awful lot of slack by our media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

I'm going out on a limb here to say that Varadkar will not lose his seat if he decides to stand next time. The issue here is a non issue

A non issue if it was the only issue. But Leo has had plenty of history regarding previous reckless behaviour, such as the leaking of the medical contract and more recently his comment that he wouldn't have a problem if all the Gardai were armed. That latter comment doesn't go down well in many quarters. Including the Gardai!

So I wouldn't be too sure about him being a shoe-in next election.

The next election is due in March 2025. If it runs that long, how much of your concerns will be remembered then? While nobody should consider themselves a shoo-in, on all known information at present Varadkar is safe. The pattern of the last two elections in Dublin West, is that FF and FG have a solid base for two out of the four seats. The other two are there for SF, the Greens and various left wingers to contest.

Yep but there are two election issues for Leo - the first being consensus in his own party that he is the best person at present to lead the party and be the forthcoming Taoiseach and then secondly public elections. There has been good support for Coveney previously and likely increasing. Mind you, very little time to act on it now and once he's in, going to be destabilising to have a challenge. Not a great outlook for FG.

It goes a bit wider than my concerns and given past performance I'd be fairly confident that we haven't seen the last of Leo's gaffs.

By 'live up to the norms', you mean 'live a boring life like you do'? You don't get to impose your personal norms on other people's lives.

A UK document? One that highlights the importance of 'public interest' need in every case? What public interest is served by creating scandal and gossip about what went on in a night club?

You'd be a brave man to predict the result of an election two years away. It would be pretty well unheard of that a major party leader would lose their seat, but on the off chance that he does, it will have more to do with FGs utter failures on housing and health, not what he got up to in a night club a couple of years back.

Middle Ireland have long memories……. Just sayin’

• Advertisement

Coincidently, Leo's judgment and recklessness is being questioned elsewhere. So not just here!

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/leo-varadkar-says-confident-judgement-25737161

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This thread has gone off on a tangent.

Political types historically grow up quickly and are mature beyond their years , that’s changing now so partying shifting td’s will be norm soon enough 😂

I’m not 100% sure that’s a reputable unbiased source

It has, needs to be nudged back to ‘Ballsy Country’ to borrow from the current phrase of the day.

I honestly don't think you could miss the point more if you were trying. Actually that must be what you're doing.

• At the practice I attend I avoid the part-time female GPs like the plague, they have zero interest in their job.

Or, you could try answering the question about what public interest is served by creating scandal and gossip about what went on in a night club?

Only in the context that Ballsy doesn't have the balls these days to tackle this type of shenanigan, unless he feels on fairly solid ground. That in itself says something, that there's open unease in the background.

• Advertisement

I’ve answered many of your questions. You on the other hand don’t answer mine.

Do you really not understand that as a senior politician he has a duty to his office and the people he serves to behave in a manner that befits such a position? It if were some randomer this wouldn’t be an issue. This is not the case here. And your attempts to minimize down to the act itself are completely disingenuous. His timing couldn’t have been worse on both the SIPO and moving post fronts.

From above:

the separation between the public and private lives of public office-holders can never be absolute. There are circumstances in which private behaviour can legitimately affect an individual’s employment in public office because of its impact on the reputation or integrity of the organisation concerned.

But it is important to recognise that there are occasions when public and private lives can overlap and where private acts that become known candamage public confidence in office-holders and institutions.

Whatever the law or principle might imply, the public are likely to draw conclusions about an individual’s public behaviour from what they know of their private behaviour.

You asked for standards. When I produced some you attempted to deride the above as it was from the UK. We take many things (our laws particularly) from the UK base, and much of our parliamentary practices are modeled on theirs. Also, the Irish version hasn’t been updated since the last century - had I produced that you’d likely have said they were out of date. Regardless of their origin, the principles are the same.

If you really don’t think that you should behave differently as a political head of state than the man on the street I don’t know what else to say to you.

Advertisement