Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze - Dec 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Take care, if you’re not better by the end of the week maybe go to a doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Freezing fog here all day, done a few jobs and now I need to thaw before doing more. Keep well everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

390 is still in getting engine done. So it is a loan from the mechanic.

I did as you said and disconnected it and it freed up after a few minutes of the engine running.

Brought home the last few cattle for housing. Their water hadnt frozen but couldn’t risk it freezing next week when I am in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Six units of the parlor frozen this morning. Turned off water going to two tanks in the shed yesterday so the cows kept one tank going. Everything was defrosted by this evening. I'm going to dry off fully tomorrow before the heavy frost Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

Drinkers have been freezing and thawing here daily so water is OK for now but I think we are looking at a few days coming without any thaw.

Filled a couple IBC's and left them in the shed between a few bale's of straw and put loose straw on top hopefully be enough for the few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

I have an infra red heater light above one of the troughs just to make sure I have at least one available

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I see on Twitter, a county weather forecaster, mentioned the forecasted mild spell at the weekend and some one replied their father was a fisherman and he didn't think this mild spell was coming.

Now I went onto Windy.com and it comes a little bit but it's gone cold and easterly again on Monday. (ECM).

Fishermen for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

-5 here this morning. We don't usually get it this cold being close enough to the coast. I'll dry off the remainder of the cows, try and cut down on the amount of work to be done around the yard

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

In Dublin visiting in laws. Unbelievable the amount of cars that are going around with windows covered in frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭fulldnod

The milk cooler won't turn on😡😡 and the milk was collected last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Well this morning, I added a tee piece and shut-off valve about a foot above the ground. Thawed the frozen foot length with warm water and added about 30 feet of hydrodare. Water flowing on a trickle all day long. Barrell never over flowed. A pain having to watch it but at least I don't have to draw water in barrels. Will have to disconnect the length later and blow out the water to stop it freezing.

Repeat all again tomorrow.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Water pipes frozen going into the shed here. Drawing buckets of water in from a trough out in the paddock beside it. The cattle not getting meal aren’t drinking much. Pain in the arse but manageable.

Be no harm if the weather softened a bit and we got some rain 😀

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Still OK here and nothing frozen yet but tonight will test it. Giving schools leeway to close is a bit of a cop out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Something a touch milder this day week according to " Sarah Keith lucas" on country file "weather for the week ahead" a wee cracker never wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

You were probably as well to stop feeding meal altogether for whatever length this lasts...It was the only way I could manage back in 2010.

Combination padlocks are fun in this weather...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭50HX

Pipes defrosted by midday, fill all troughs again at barriers, weanlings & 2 cows with bad feet are left out by day

Ain't proper cold in the ground yet if cattle will lie out like mine are in a field that was too wet a week ago

Roads are dodge in the shade though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Some frost here this morning but the pipes aren't frozen. I found some of that insulation for pipes so put that on them yesterday and wrapped silage plastic around them too. Dried off the last of the cows yesterday because I was expecting a big freeze last night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I spoke too soon - the forecast is for wind and rain at the end of the week.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Might pop into the weather forum and ask one of the coldies if they want to come give a hand dealing with this. Get the full experience.

Got to minus 7 last night here and still at 11 am it's minus 3.

Water tank froze in the attic so a big of work needed there.

Everywhere is still white out frozen.

Pics taken a few minutes ago at 11. Cloud is moving in now so no chance of the Sun warming up things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Have the cattle out in the silage field...they are loving it....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Thankfully the drinkers in the sheds are working but the one on the stand off pad and another shed beside it are frozen. We've rigged up a temporary pipe for them and a bunch of weanlings outside in a paddock. It's a bit of a pain as I have to keep moving it but it's working. I've the range lit in the old house in the yard and we bring the temporary pipe into it a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭valtra2

It's amazing little country. I on other side of them mountain and bad fog but frost not bad at all. Nothing frozen this morning

A thaw set in at 12.30. I was doing a bit of driving after those pics were taken and five miles away and the place was green, frost gone. A few miles further on and it was like home again.

Cloudy here tonight so won't be as bad again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Couple of light rain showers in the last few hours here in Cork. Yard pretty glassy now. Pretty good salting job done on roads though. Heading for Corin...FJ save our derogation😶‍🌫️

Advertisement