Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appropriate gift for Secret Santa for Irishman

Options
  • 12-12-2022 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Hi all

My work always does stuff such as Secret Santa and things like that where you need to give each other gifts. I always dislike doing these because I never know what to get them. I don´t know my colleagues well at all, if I knew them I´d get something they´d like but I don´t so.

They also didn´t fill out the thing where you can indicate what gift you want.

So budget is 20 euros. It´s in a few days so ordering online will probably be too late. It´s an irishman and all I know is that he likes sports and that´s about it really. What can I get him for 20 euros?

Thanks in advance. Any ideas that fit the 20 euro budget and that you can buy in a store in dublin would be appreciated. Only place I'd order online from would be argos as then I can get it within a day so that's also an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

if he likes sport, than a sports book is a pretty safe bet. And should match your budget pretty well also.

Here's this years shortlist for sports book of the year.

Kellie Harringtons book won and that's currently on sale in Easons for e19.99

Don't get too stressed about this. Secret Santa is something that works best when people don't take it or themselves too seriously.

It is a bit of fun and nobody expects their gift to be something they've always wanted or that it will be the best thing ever.

A guy I worked with used to just put a banknote to the value of the gift in an envelope, every year, until eventually they just stopped asking him to take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The perfect gift voucher.

Why is this a problem Vs unwanted land fill ? 😃

Or how is this different to an Amazon voucher or a one4all voucher ?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Try find out if he's interested in soccer. No matter who you support the Roddy Collins is a brilliant read ........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Alcohol.

Sure, it would probably be racist for any other nationality to suggest it. But that doesn't mean it's not appropriate.

• Advertisement

In my experience, vouchers are usually frowned upon in Secret Santa exchanges like this. The purpose of Secret Santa is to put a little bit of effort in, and then have some fun with people opening the presents. A voucher or cash, while practical in a very utilitarian way, doesn't embody the spirit of Secret Santa. Our office Secret Santa ended they year someone gave someone else a voucher.

And yes, you should be able to opt out if you don't want to make the effort/don't recognise anything that happens in work as fun/yadda yadda.

Ah, I'm just being grumpy. 👍

I'm part of a Secret Santa this year where everyone knows who's buying for whom and I've also been told what to get. 😃

So I'm not sure what that is !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Hooked

The fact that you're asking here goes to show that you are a kind and considerate person! Don't stress over it. We've never done Secret Santa, at home or in work... but anyone who put thought into my present as you have, the thought alone would be worth more to me than the gift!

The 'sports' book is a good idea. Or - depending on his age. (age 40 and over).. something funny or nostalgic? Like the old games we got as kids? Guess-who, Operation, Buckaroo - all available at smyths? Only 12-15 euro. And a few beers? Everyone likes beer LOL

Best work SS presents I ever got:

• A DVD of a movie I wanted to see, but hadn't (before streaming was a thing)
    • A selection of craft beers with a cool glass. Went down very well on Christmas day.
    • A packet of sausages, a packet of rashers, a potato and a tube of Super Glue. A note contained within it described it as a "Dub survival kit" (the ingredients for Coddle, plus the glue for sniffing)

Book voucher would be appreciated by most people. You can get one that's accepted in most book shops. And it's always a pleasure using them after Christmas in the sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Thanks I got one of them books

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

I always like to get a mix of stuff - 4 euros gets you a huge tub of chocolates for a start...

Vouchers are a bit dumb on their own, zero effort - but if you make a package eg. one of those and a 15 euros cinema voucher - shows some thought?

https://www.dunnesstoresgrocery.com/sm/delivery/rsid/258/categories/chocolate-&-sweets/tub-sweets-id-48505

“Roll it back”

Advertisement