Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Sister in laws 40th birthday bash last night and the head is only banging this morning 😝

DJ played plenty of Christmas songs though and a great time was had by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Had a few ales last night, head was a tad sensitive going shopping in blanch this morning but grand after a coffee in kays... place isn't too busy (yet) so got our last few bits for travelling and are all set now.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Beautiful day here s Cork. Bitterly cold but a stunningly beautiful blue sky. We've not had any sign of a snowflake yet but it's supposed to snow on Tuesday. The roads are icy enough in places still as the temp didn't really rise much at all. Went swimming this morning and the water was 8.5 degrees - absolutely baltic but lots of people in and it was actually a good craic. Sitting in front of the fire now and there's definitely a Christmas feel in the house today.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It snowed overnight. Not much, but there's definitely an additional layer to the frost and ice. And I have to drive through bad roads, tomorrow. Feck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Putting up the Christmas decorations and the tree at the moment. Had a night out with friends on Thursday, went to see a live broadcast of the Nutcracker then came out to snow falling. Christmas bingo in school on Friday and won a lovely hamper, and Saturday morning was spent in Blanchardstown picking up a few bits. Loving the white frosty winter look and the stove on every day. My first Christmassy weekend and it was lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Brought the kids to the work kids' Christmas party earlier. They had a ball although the older one said to me that she reckons she's getting a bit old for those sort of parties. She'll be 11 next year so I do see her point but I really feel cheated that we missed things like this over the last few years due to Covid, particularly because the years go by so quickly. 😭

Anyway, on the plus side, the presents were awesome for the kids!!

Here's something for all of you though. For anyone who is a fan of the SuperValu mince pies, there's none available at the moment. Apparently there was a mass recall of them recently and none of the shops have them. Apparently they're due back in on Tuesday though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A recall?!? Mine are long gone.

Edit: I've just looked it up, a "quality" issue, apparently. I hope they don't get destroyed just for something aesthetic, it'd be such a waste...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

That sounds lovely - still waiting for snow here in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

There was a 'Xmas Tractor parade' in Waterford tonight. Didn't make the parade but they all parked up for a while. All looked great

Enjoying a quiet pint. Tis good for society too be back to normal for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Tractors with Christmas lights what more could you ask for at Christmas, i would need a good few quiet pints, only joking PHT2009, could to see thing's like this all happening again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep a random idea but hey seemed to get a reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Brr, it looks cold out there

🥶🥶

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Heading into Dublin City Centre for an appointment.....brrrrrrrr...dreading the traffic too! Let's hope the 3 year old is in good form for the journey 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Traffic was grand for me coming in, the canal was a little busier than normal but other than that all good.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I think traffic will start to quieten down form today on. I know a good few have finished up in our place as had annual leave to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Morning all

Chilly one out there, still freezing when i got out of the car then a while ago.

Busy weekend. Had a family Christmas lunch with the in laws Sat and went to Santa in Parmerstown House yesterday. Really enjoyed it and the kids had a blast. Was getting very very cold though when we were leaving so didn't really hang around taking to many pictures etc. There do it really well though and the Santa himself was brilliant with the kids.

Hope all had a good weekend.

Post edited by TRS30 on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jesus the driveway and footpaths are lethal with black ice. Be careful out there today guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Roads are dreadful around here. Already dreading the creche pick up. Think I'll collect them an hour early while it's still bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I got a text yesterday from my manager apologising for texting me at the weekend but saying we weren't expected in office for our Monday meeting. Delighted to have gotten it.

Walking to the bus at 6.30 in the pitch black with minus 4 degrees weather was sounding like torture!

We've minus 3 freezing fog at the moment so even walking outside to let the dogs out is hurting my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

We have a Christmas jumper competition in work on Thursday - it's normally great craic but there's talk of cancelling it if the weather doesn't improve as most will be at home. Never thought I'd be wishing for the weather to go back to a week or two previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Alexa tells me it will be next Sunday before we get normal December temperatures around 10 degrees.

WFH today but have to go in tomorrow, haven't moved the car since Thursday and I'm dreading it!

Hoping to do my tree today, the latest in years but I've had so much going on. Have to write my cards too, usually have those done and posted by the 8th. Shopping all done though, bar Penney's vouchers for my neighbour's kids.

Loving reading all the festive stuff going on. It's different when you're single with no kids. Weather ruined lots of plans in the last few days but hopefully things will start to improve tomorrow

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Can’t believe it’s less than two weeks to the big day. Flying in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

@Caranica I haven’t move my own car either, OH has been driving us about

@Loughc thanks for heads up on footpaths I might get the OH to drop me to my Mams

weather is lovely to look out at though

Tears from the little one meeting the big man yesterday at the golf club all the volunteers went all out for the kids it was a great day and will probably become a little family tradition, Turkey and Ham dinner was delicious

rewrote some lists this morning regarding presents, groceries and housework!!

Still to do my Mams tree , my Mams safe warm and well fed and not alone so that’s most important I’ll get to the tree

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

there is not a hope I'm venturing outside the door today, not with the way the footpaths are right now. but in 9 days i will be in Spain and i cannot wait

I think I'm going to drive down to the local pitch at lunchtime and have a very quick walk. In spite of the cold, it looks like a nice, bright day out.

i popped out to check the mail and it is cold!!

but hey 13 days left to christmas!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just booked our Santa visit for Thursday afternoon. We really need something positive to look forward to!😁

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Posted my International cards there, and the two postsboxes (old cast iron one had a new one added beside it, both are in use) are both rammed.

Card writing making a comeback?

I had the same experience last week when I was posting cards to America and to be honest I'm rather happy that people are still sending letters via slow mail. It's keeping people in jobs. hooray!

• Advertisement

We have ours on Thursday afternoon as well. If you are heading to Causey Farm, we'll see you there 😉🎅

Advertisement