Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I think the captaincy has brought him up another level.

Very talented player. Lazy and not a team player. Look at ringrose charging down a kick with the game won. Porter last ditch tackle before half time. I know which players I'd prefer on my team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭ersatz

I just watched highlights but his footwork going into contact is something I haven't appreciated about him before, maybe he is using it more but he did really well against those big forwards.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They had 5 back rowers starting against us. Sanconnie for instance has played 83% of his games at flanker/8 and Woki 80%. A TH lock under 110kg is extremely lightweight. Diallo and Lauret are not big men and Baudonne is under 100kg. Gomes Sa is underpowered and a poor scrummager. I think he gave away five penalties yesterday. And he consistently gets picked ahead of Nyakane who's a genuinely massive player and can lock out a scrum as we saw when he came on yesterday.

Racing are all about winning the lineout and pulling fancy back moves and the majority of that comes through Iribaren/Le Garrec and Russell.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Because driving through a player and over the ball is not sealing off and preventing a contest (which is a penalisable offence).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Racing are all about winning the lineout and pulling fancy back moves and the majority of that comes through Iribaren/Le Garrec and Russell.

That's fair enough, but with Russell at OH, you get your fancy backline moves but there's a massive trade off in terms of the basics of OH play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Going off your feet as soon as you do it is though. Which is what Racing were doing. Pearce has a tendency to allow that though as long as you come through the gate, staying on your feet isn’t an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Leinster literally scored a try from a set piece backs play from about the half way line mate or were you even watching the game, Leinster can score in tight, can kick cross field and score and score off set piece I think youre looking for a team from a different planet doing front flips over players to be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

Says alot about the Top 14 if Racing 92 who are 2nd are gash...

Are you actually an Irish fan? Because you seem to have very little positive to say about anything involving Irish rugby.

It must fell horrible being this miserable all the time...

Yeah, but it doesn't have the right pizzazz.

No imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Acknowledge he was wrong and praise an Irish rugby team? Come on now, let’s be realistic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Some nice analysis of Leinster's attack Vs Racing. Leinster essentially used the same attacking shape with 10,12,13 but constantly switched up who was first receiver and the angles of attack. Made it very hard for Racing to lock in on who to actually tackle.

The same move, but with different variations is just as hard to defend as a dozen unique backline plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Good result and good effort. Line out eas great! Leinster didn't rely on Ryan in this one, Jenkins; Doris and Baird all fared well.

RB went well. Ringrose is on a different level. But he's probably going to have a game where instead of being a 9 out of 10, he'll be a 7 out of 10. Then the usual suspects will scream for both Farrells. Frisch, Daly. Hume, Henshaw etc. None of them are close.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I know it's called out in the video but the fact Ngatai is first receiver in all of those examples shows imo 1) his incredibly rounded skillset, he can do basically everything and 2) how well he's gelled with his teammates and how quickly he's gotten up to speed with the coaching to be able to run all these moves so well. I didn't know much about him bar by reputation before he signed but my opinion of him is going up and up every single week. We're at the point where I'd nearly not be concerned with Henshaw being out, and Henshaw is one of the best 12s in the world.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

he was destined to be a multicapped all black before he had concussion issues which nearly took a whole season off him back when he was with the chiefs.

Fair enough. It shows. Shame for him he never got to fulfill his potential international career.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I know it’s easy to look good when your forwards are giving you an armchair ride. Ross Byrne is such a reader and organizer of the game though. It’s such a pity he doesn’t have a good ball in hand game. Watching him on Saturday he is so good at seeing where the game needs to be played and arranging players around him. Harry or Frawley will have a long way to go, to pass him out.

Really excellent, dominant performance, over a team who are arguably prioritising this tournament.

To a man the pack were superb. James Ryan's performances this year have been top class - couple of moments in particular stood out: he absolutely smashed Camille Chat after the short Racing line out off the front in the H1, and secondly a clear out on (I think) Lauret in the second half before VdF's first try that was incredibly physical.

Our scrum dominated them, and line out was close to flawless.

Ngatai and Ringrose obviously superb, but James Lowe also just brings so much to our game which you've seen the last two weekends. He's so physical in the carry and in defence, his kicking is top class and ability to pick his moments to pop up in the line is so valuable.

Really enjoyable win. The sort of resilience the team have demonstrated to pull out two superb BP wins the last two weekends will really stand to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

The points difference we picked up will be really valuable. I can see a few teams finishing on 20 points. Points difference could be crucial. Leinster aiming not to have to leave Dublin again after the Gloucester game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

What podcasts to people listen to for balanced coverage of the Irish provinces? I quite like OTB, but it's very munster-centric. For example, this weekend so far has seen a 25 minute episode from Thomond last night which was all Munster. Then this morning, Quinlan spent 11 mins talking about Munster, 5 talking about Ulster (where he only really made one point about the travel arrangements), 6 talking about Leinster and 0 for Connacht.

So across the 50 mins of post mortem for the weekend, the split was 36/5/6/0. This on top of the fact Munster have their very own podcast (The Reds or whatever its called).

• Advertisement

the42.ie have a decent rugby podcast. RTE do one which I mostly don't listen to but might if I really am looking for something or it has been a particularly big week. There's also Second Captains but it's a 5euro p/m subscription (well worth it imo).

There are also some very Leinster-centric ones such as the Molecast, which I do enjoy.

I don't really listen to OTB anymore but I can kinda see where it's coming from in this case, what can you say about Ulster than they are rubbish? Surprised they got 5 mins out of it. Munster had the closest game, it was fairly in the balance for a lot of the game, they lost at home etc. Probably had the most talking points. Leinster winning every week isn't that interesting for a general audience I guess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I generally really like Joe Molloy on OTB, but there's a share of others on there, pundits and hosts alike (Gilroy, Quinny, Matt Williams) that I’ve stopped listening to. I generally find Keith Wood and Gerry Thornley good (for all the criticism he gets) when he's on.

In terms of equal coverage, Provincial State of Mind offers fairly equal time across all Provinces. TRK is on it so that'll put some people off (and there is a Munster bent to it) but I find the other 2 lads are very good.

Not deeply serious, but it does a good job of covering everything you’d want talked about.

In terms of equal coverage, Provincial State of Mind offers fairly equal time across all Provinces

Not familiar with this, I'll give it a go, thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

TRK is on it so fair warning. First 10 mins tends to be jokey so might not be for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Another hand up for the Molecast here, v good podcast with quality discussion and analysis - it does lean more towards Leinster but generally keep an all Ireland frame of mind.

The only thing I wish they’d sort is their consistency, it’s regarded as a “weekly” podcast but some weeks pass occasionally with no new episode.

I think they're just lads doing it from their kitchen, there's no ads on it, I presume they all have day jobs, I get that it is irregular but I also understand why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Ah yeah 100% I understand that - just speaks to the quality that I’m keen to hear their thoughts every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

The Molecast is excellent. Best one out there with 3 lads discussing rugby with none of the usual cliches trotted out by ex players and pundits ( ‘look, ah sure know, he’s got X factor’). They know about rugby but I also feel they mention the psychological aspects that teams face. I thought the episode they did on Eddie Jones and England a few weeks ago before he got the chop was superb.

The 42’s would be my second choice as they go into good depth and Murray Kinsella is always worth listening to. Second Captains tends to be entertaining but not all that in depth. You know what you’ll get from each OTB pundit at this stage. Don’t come away from listening to their episodes feeling I’ve learnt anything in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

No injuries arose from the Racing game. Sexton and Furlong are back running and will be assessed later this week for the game against Gloucester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Big Mike put in a good shift. He's not getting the plaudits but, he's been very good. I hope we can keep him.

Molony is a fantastic line out operator. He's really stepped up over the last few years.

It was nice to see RB guide the team to a good victory. He is a very good player. Probably not going to be an Ireland regular but, very competent.

I thought our discipline was very good. We put them under extreme pressure due to their indiscipline.

Advertisement