Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy collecting yard, what to do with the rain water

Options
  • 12-12-2022 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I am building a new collecting yard behind the milking parlour, when it is in use we will have to collect the rain water in the slurry tank as it will be dirty after landing on the yard so will have the yard falling towards the tank. Do people have any good designs of drains to take the clean rain water away from the slurry tank when the cows are dry in the winter, and the yard is not in use so is clean? It would be annoying to have to collect clean rain water in the month of January when cows are dry and the yard is clean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dunno will it be allowed or is it allowed. If you get a nitrates inspection that area would be measured and need the storage for it anyway. Perhaps put in uprights or pads and roof at some stage in the future maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Go away and roof it if you can. Built new parlour and roofed collecting yard and it's more comfort on man and beast from the elements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I have seen this issue managed with a drain running in front of tank with 4 inch flat iron on it which is on hinges. When yard is in use the flat iron is flush with concrete and water flows to tank but when yard not in use you flip up the flat and the water runs into drain and is piped away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Depending on the levellness and falls, a simple screw in sewer pipe adapter to block the outlet pipe may suffice to let the water run away to clean drain during your dry period.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭adriant900

I would be very careful to only divert the water away when the yard is properly clean so I cant see it being a problem during an inspection as I have good storage, I just dont want to fill it with clean water.

I wonder how are farms with roofless cubicles designed so that they do not capture rain water when not in use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Grueller

Any I have seen aren't, but they are going to monster lagoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭adriant900

True, getting the levels right isn't easy to have the water flow into the tank most of the time but into the pipe when you want it to, how to do those levels is what I have not figured out

Advertisement