Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I have the same. Saw somewhere that it's water in the lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Model 3 long range or the new Ioniq 6 pretty much meet this criteria.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Possibly frozen too. Lenses and water ingress is a slight thing with the id range I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Same here on both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

100% - i've seen this as well - you go into the app then it seems to knock off the preferred charging...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

ive gone to boosting with the zappi rather than the car settings.. i dont want to end up filling the car by accident on 45 cents a kw day electricity rates..

Found one of the disadvantages of EVs this morning. Washer fluid has been frozen most of the last few days so nipped into Halfords earlier to get some winter screenwash. Popped the bonnet then to top up the reservoir.......except it didn't pop, unlatched OK but bonnet frozen shut! Let's hope it doesn't decide to fly open on the motorway home later! That excess heat of ICEs does have its use sometimes....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Ah yeah, that's a problem

You could pour some warm water over the bonnet to unstick it

Just don't use boiling water, saw some lad chucking a kettle full of water over his windscreen a couple of days ago with steam flying everywhere. The guys from Autoglass are going to love him

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I've already had to replace my windscreen once and that was quite enough for me!!!

@Black_Knight On the topic of limited regen, I noticed the same thing as you yesterday. Car was charged to 80% and preheated, but when I got in at first the green bar was down to around 75%

I've noticed a few other times that it's been down a bit too. Outside temp was around 0C so my guess is it's a cold weather protection thing for the battery

Strange that discharge isn't limited, I guess it's down to whatever battery chemistry VW are using 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 leewonglee

You will be lucky to get 320kms on 80% battery in sub zero temperatures.

I've been driving the ID.4 a lot (9000kms in six weeks)and since the subzero conditions arrived especially today I have seen my battery efficiency drop.

My car is six weeks old.

With the heater set to 19.5°C and steering wheel set to low temperature my range which I used to get before the cold snap has gone from 500km on a full charge to 350kms on a full charge.

I was getting 5km per 1% battery.

In freezing conditions I am getting 3.5kms per 1% battery.

Efficiency has gone from 17.5kwh/100km to 22.6kWh/100km roughly.

Staying warm in the car has a lot got to do with it I guess.

I think you will probably find 350kms on a 100% charge is a more realistic range in these freezing temperatures.

Had to use the front window heater this evening, thin layer of frost had formed over the windscreen

Have to say I'm mightily impressed, within 3 mins the frost was melted enough to whisk away with the wipers

I've had cars in the past where 10 mins of the heating on full blast would only just start to clear the windscreen

Turning on the heating inside is nearly as quick.. had the car facing in towards the house the other day and windscreen was frozen... Started pre heating and in less than 5 minutes windscreen was clear

Have you got Automatic window heating enabled? I think that'll start the windscreen heating as well

It's not turned on in the app.. not sure if I have front screen heating? Gtx business edition

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s a Standard feature, there’s a short cut to it on the light control panel to the right of the steering wheel. Front and rear switches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Did the 1st edition come with front screen heating? There's a button there alright, but not sure it does anything.

My app has started working again, after doing 2 updates.

The 1st Max definitely had it, I'm pretty sure all the trim levels have it

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

i didn’t think you could spec an ID up to 82k. 🙈

F!ck

ing

hell

I'll give them credit, they've got ambition 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭id.4 fan

Hi guys, I'm wondering has anyone started to experience any charging issues since the cold snap hit?

Up until last night my ID.4 has been performing great, I love the car.

I woke up this morning and my car was not fully charged to 80% as it should of been.The car was charging at a rate of 2kw's instead of the 7kw's as it normally does.

I checked my zappy charger and it too confirmed that only 2kw's was been pulled from the electrical grid.

I drove 5 minutes to an electric Ireland 11kw public charger nearby and plugged the car in and it started to charge at 5.5kw's instead of 11kw's.

I also tried 2 other public chargers and the same charge rate of 5.5kw's was been displayed.

Has anyone else experienced this before and if yes how do I fix this problem?

Thanks.

Ps. I've just noticed my departure locations have also disappeared and when I click on locations in the car infotainment system it states "This function is not yet available"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Have you inadvertently turned on the “Reduced AC charging” setting? Seems likely.

One thing that can happen is if the plug isn't all the way in before the lock engages. The car will detect that and won't allow charging at full speed

If it happens, the car will print a message on the dash saying "Emergency charging only" or something. Also the charging port light will alternate pulsing green and red when charging

Hi guys, I've just checked and "reduced ac charging current" function is not turned on.

I've also double checked to make sure the zappy charge cable and the heavier cable for the public network are both plugged in fully and they are.

There is no emergency charge message displayed.

Still charging at 2kws at home and 5.5kw on the public network.

I wonder why my saved charging locations have disappeared and it now reads "this function is not yet available" when I click on it.

When I was at the public charing point a guy in a Kia Niro pulled in beside me and I asked him was he having any charing issues since the cold snap hit and he too said he has noticed a reduced charging rate on his car.

Coincidence?

Did you try a reboot of the car? Hold down infotainment power button till it recycles?

Thanks I just tried a reboot and I also tried logging in as a guest and still no joy.

No charging location function available and reduced charging rate.

At this rate charging my car to 100% at home will take over 2 days.

Did your car charge ok last night?

It was extremely bitter last night.

i didnt need to charge last night.. i guess check in with the garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Cold weather should make no difference to AC charging rate at home.

Something else is wrong. If it doesn’t resolve itself after a reset I’d say a dealer visit is on the cards.

Guys I just rang the dealer and they told me to contact VW assist!

I am not happy with this as when I rang WV assist they explained to me that they are actually AA and usually only do breakdown callouts but said they would send someone anyway to have a look.

The car has been charging perfect every day since I bought it and functioning fine and personally I think it has to do with the severe frost we had last night but maybe I am wrong.

I cannot understand why it is restricting my home 7.5kw charger to 2kws, the 11kw public charger to 5.5kw's.

I even took a spin to the fast public 100kw charger and it is restricting the charge to 30kws.

Sounds like the cars BMS is restricting charge to prevent battery damage.

• Advertisement

Ok guys I have an update on my slow charging problem.

VW Assist (AA) guy called out and I explained my situation and he connected a computer up to the car.

He checked for general faults and specifically battery management system faults.

The result None!

He cleared all faults on the computer even though there were none visible and asked me to connect the car back up to the house charger.

Guess what.....the car started charging at 7.5kw again and my location setting suddenly reappeared.

He said freezing conditions make strange things happen to EV's as he had just come from another job where a Peugeot EV stopped dead on the road and had to be towed away.

Also upon further inspection we found hundreds of frozen icicles hanging from the battery frame.

Thanks for your help guys and I'm off to buy a winter cover for my car!

Advertisement