Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,517 ✭✭✭cgcsb

So ultimately nothing can be done until there's more bus drivers and the bus corridors are built. Official Ireland tying it's self up in knots with procedure and processes. There is no need for the council to get planning permission to reallocate road space, they proved that during covid. More than half the bus corridors could get a temp build at the main pinch points without planning, they're just unwilling to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Do they create planning issues if they change the road, therefore making their planning request invalid / inaccurate?

This, of course, should not be a reason to let people suffer on a poor service, but I can understand it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Yes it's very cautious but probably too cautious now. Having saying that, I thought we'd see more political will behind public transport improvements but that hasn't happened

It potentially could but we've seen temporary version of permanent projects pop up with no planning issues.

It's a symptom of a wider issue they'd rather make lots of glossy reports and make big expensive projects out of what effectively boils down to road markings and signage. They want all the launches and then relaunches and consultations and more consultations rather than just say, we're going to reallocate road space for cycling and put in bus gates and have it done over months with a saving of hundreds of millions of euro that can go to putting in some rail capacity. Most of bus connects core bus corridors could have been legally done between the NTA and and DCC using standard road maintenance powers without so much as an FYI in the paper.

If there are still issues then they could still put together a road widening projects that require CPO and planning permission.

It's similar story with DART+, 50% of the improvements could be made without asking a sole for permission or even an opinion but we just love paper work too much. We could have track lowers and electrification done in 2 years and have battery electric trains to cover electrification gaps where bridges are too low and then later apply to do the rest of the work and save the mega project stuff for building new rail links like metrolink.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

In fairness, they tried to push through the Strand Road trial, and despite all the law seemingly being on their side, they got slapped back. Now there's a huge question mark over the power of DCC to make these changes without full planning permission.

They should have appealed that decision, as it seems to me (and everyone with a legal bent that I've read on it) that the Judge massively overreached. Perhaps their own lawyers are telling them different, but it's definitely chilled DCCs ambition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,807 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's probably not as many barristers living on Emmet Road though

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Well fixing the justice system to stop that carry on seems much better value than spending millions making mega projects out of road markings.

Let's face it the strand road case was taken seriously because the super rich have friendly judges. It was a nonsense case and now they're threatening to sue for the opposite reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭noelfirl

I thought they were appealing that decision, albeit the appeal court judge had sought additional info that will probably delay getting the decision until ~the mid-2030s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If the NTA & Dublin Bus are trying to improve the schedules for the G-Spine & the 60; we have to ask here how many drivers are going to be needed to make it somewhat reliable.

If they are allocating more drivers to operate these routes; it does make the initial online rumour of delaying the Southern Orbitals until April more reasonable.

The traffic issues within the city centre returning to pre pandemic levels are also a big problem in making the G-Spine become more reliable under the current road network. The new planned slip road for St James Hospital is a good idea to make the journey times on the 123 go a little bit easier.

Would the new slip road for the 123 bus be built near the new children's hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Something that hasn't been mentioned as of late, but I assume the supposed launch of January for the F-spine is off the cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You haven’t seen the price of houses in Inchicore….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

The primary problem on the 123 is outbound on the SCR from James hospital to the Suir Rd/Bulfin Rd junction, and inbound on Suir Road getting to that same junction. The issue is basically the amount of traffic trying to get down the last bit of the SCR to access the Con Colbert Rd or possibly to continue north via Islandbridge. It is not unknown for the 123 to skip these two roads entirely and divert thru' Rialto and along Dolphin Road back into Driminagh.

All of bus connects is off the cards for the time being until a gear shift in recruitment happens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Deleted

Post edited by mikeybhoy on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

"We recognise that the real-time information service has been of lower quality in recent months. When this first became apparent during September we carried out various on-street surveys to identify the root causes and a software upgrade was put in place. This has significantly improved accuracy. Separately however driver-availability issues then started to have a knock-on effect on the quality of the real-time predictions. We are working with the operators to deal with this."

First became apparent in September?

driver availability then started as a knock on effect since September?

Still also the C-Spine covering nonsense in the reply...

Well the Red Luas Line is having delays since this evening.

I would take a guess that the buses going out of town, especially the G1 and the 60, were jam packed going to Red Cow Luas tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Why Blackhorse? Couldn't they have at least gone to Heuston and used the points crossings on Seán Heuston Br (yes it would take two back and forths to get from one side to the other but still...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yeah, the C spine is covering the old 79/a route down the Quays ? How so, when you can’t get the C spine buses from Ballyfermot ? They really do have contempt for people don’t they ? I mean, we know it’s nonsense, they know we know, and they just don’t care.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Exactly....it covers Ballyfermot...if you walk to the motorway to get it....lol.

The sad thing is it is probably quicker for me to walk the 15 mins I would guess to get a bus on the C spine to town versus getting a G spine bus in with it slowly crawling through inchicore, kilmainham etc. A journey that used to take me 15 minutes on the 79/a now takes roughly 40...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭trashcan

If I lived at that end of Ballyfermot I’d probably do that. I usually time leaving work to get the 60 at Burgh Quay at 5.40. To be fair it’s usually fairly prompt. This evening it was about 20 minutes late, but there was seemingly some sort of protest on the Quays. I won’t get the G1 or G2 in peak times, usually let one or two of them go. So much for the “spine”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Perhaps they could afford to take a few drivers off the G Spine and put them on the 60 to make it more frequent?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It’s not signalled for reversals there. It would take far too long given the rules that would need to be followed.

They really should have installed a crossover south of John’s Road to allow northbound trams access the southbound platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,807 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's the problem with trams, only takes one eejit to prevent thousands of people from travelling. Not segregated like rail and can't be rerouted like a bus. Should be a supplement to a system of several metro lines in Dublin, not a half-arsed substitute for one.

Hope nobody got seriously hurt.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

There was a 2 hour gap on the g2 last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I expected to hear more about this in the news but there was nothing. The crash was a Landrover and a Garda car...

That is horrendous in day and age. Especially when people have had to go home through the bitterly cold weather last night. We're you one of those who had to wait for a G2 at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 transportrian

The City Centre's public transport completely broke down on Thursday evening. I was at my usual bus stop on the quays waiting for a Go-Ahead service to Kildare from 5:50 to 6:25. No buses showed up. I would have waited longer but it was freezing.

I decided to try to get the train and walked to Jervis stop to get Luas to Heuston. I had boarded a stationary tram after tapping on, as there was no announcements on the led board or on the tram that the Luas wasn't running. I had to check the luas website for this info.

I had to quickly go back to quays to get any DB to Heuston, and just about got on the C2 after having to plead with the driver to let me on as the bus was so full.

Finally, got to Heuston at 6.50. The train was supposed to depart at 7:05. Boarded the train, all good.... until a 'mechanical failure', told to change the platform. No train or any estimate of when the replacement train will come.

Decided to try to get the bus again from outside Heuston, lucky that came. Eventually got home just before 9 pm after finishing work at 5.30, which is crazy considering I usually get home around 7.15.

My leap card had a great day out tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The East Wall protests in the city centre caused absolute havoc that evening for public transport operators, particularly those blocking the LUAS tracks and traffic at Amiens Street.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

Currently at burgh Quay. 6 out of the next 8 gspine buses are cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Wow...

Advertisement