Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Raining in Rathdrum Wicklow at the moment. Not even sleet just light rain. Will make the roads interesting tomorrow as it will likely freeze

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Looking at cavan Station temperature - 3c all day that same station didn't rise above - 9.9c on 21st December 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I think all the rain reports are primarily because the uppers are around minus 4 which isn't cold enough especially in light ppn. Colder uppers move back in tomorrow afternoon just when the rain clears off south coast lol. I was driving on a back road this evening with it raining and the grass covered in frost.

Strange weather and I think we would all agree a slightly frustrating cold spell especially when you consider we are not under high pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

Raining in Cork city. 3 degrees. Cold snap over for the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

The pink is supposed to be snow… north cork looks like it might get a bit of snizzle action!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Raining in Greystones. 2.5c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

Extremely frustrating for snow wanters, you get the cold in, and still it rains. It's a truly fickle thing snow. Everything has to fall into place. If one of the ingredients is off, it's a fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Was in Tullamore today. Driving back through Killeagh around 1.20pm and the fog was thin enough to allow weak sunshine through and the trees were stunning with hoar frost with a light-blue sky background. N80 road was too busy to stop and snap a picture though. Your pictures from nearby Tullamore are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

But isn't that why we hunt it, because it's so rare

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sure to freeze hard over night, going to be very tricky in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I'm not far from D14 and I had two falls of snow in 2010 which lasted a week each. Max accumulation in a not very scientific measure was about 25Cm, I reckon the Beast accumulation was >30Cm. But such this vary from place to place when you have showers in the mix.

Power demand on the Irish grid broke the record today I think, the previous island maximum was 21/12/2010. Wind of almost no use in meeting this demand in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Fair enough, the nature of streamers means that even 1km away could have vastly different depths. I recorded 29cm and 33cm in Dec 10’ and 26cm during the Beast, but the drifting made it feet deep in parts, 2010 had little to no drifting around here.

Temp holding at 0.5c here for the past few hours.

My drive home from work in Cork City to Bishopstown is about 15 minutes and just a few kms. I went from freezing cold with some fog to a winter wonderland of some snow and a covering of hoare frost on everything - some of the trees looked amazing - back to just cold with most of the frost and ice gone where I live. It was very strange. A few hundred metres up the road was totally different. Then it started raining at around 0 to 1 degrees. Strange weather.

The Lough also looked amazing totally frozen over except where the fountain was working.

Really bitter nationwide at the moment - 5c over me but I think temperatures will lift for me to - 2c just as it did last night alot milder further south with rain trying to push in and winds vering southeast

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

South Cork and kerry exceptionally mild as usual..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Current temperature outside Tralee 3.1 and North of listowel - 1.4

That's some difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

cork snow shield activated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Go away 6, you're drunk.

Got down to -4.7c in Cork last night and currently sitting at just under 3c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭secman

Currently very foggy and zero ° in Dublin 24, no sign of frost yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Sandyford D18 -0.2 currently. Pea soup outside and no thaw

First subzero temperatures for Malin Head. Going to be a very cold night in the north midlands especially.

The 18z gfs has nudged slightly further North with tomorrow's ppn as in covers most of Cork and Kerry. Slightly colder uppers too than this evening. It's possible we could get a dusting from it before it pulls away. Stranger things have happened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

High of -2 today. -6 atm with dense fog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Cold aside, was just checking rain stats for here and only about 3mm has fallen this month so far. Not bad considering that we are almost half way through one of the wettest months of the year on average.

New Moon

A selection of photos sent to the LaoisWeather Facebook Page by K.L.

Today in Cullohill, South Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ice crystals falling in Galway city covering everything that doesn't already have a thick layer of white.

It's like snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Guessing the wind direction is playing a big part there. Some difference!

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Advertisement

Edge of the front illuminated by the moon. (Looks better than the camera captures it) No fog the last couple of hours. Freezing cold 🥶 -3.8c and holding.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement