Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

I've driven 2393km and put 740kW of charge into the car which is working out at around 31kWh/100km which is pretty **** to be fair.

This morning it's showing 240km of range with 95% battery, but I did drive home last night during the snow when it was 0deg so it's probably reasonably accurate to say that's the range it has this morning.

I've found driving from Donegal to Dublin last week I used 78.6kW to drive 253km. Donegal to Kells was 24.4kWh/100km with average speed of 77.5km/h (got stuck behind a damn tractor run for 15mins) and Kells to Dublin was 32.3kWh/100km at 82.3kmph, most of this was on the motorway so a good portion of that trip was at 130kmph on M3. We stopped in Wells for a toilet break and added 33kWh in 22min on the 150kW ESB charger there.

While driving from Cork to Dublin I used 74kW to drive exactly 250km (Cork trip had shocking weather on way back). Stats from Cork to Cashel were 31kWh/100km with 113kmph avg speed, nearly all on M8. Cashel to Citywest was 29kWh/100km with 114kmph average.

So far I've no big complaints with the range, I've love it to be more but I knew before buying the M50 would have lower range on 20" wheels so it doesn't bother me too much. When it will start to bother me is when I'm stuck waiting at a charger. Laghy ESB charger in Donegal has 2*50kW chargers and both were in use when I went past, there is one in Killybegs also and it was in use when I went in there to top up. So this will inevitably be where the frustration begins. The range is enough to get me to anywhere I need to go but, it's when you arrive somewhere and the charging options are limited that it can be a pain.

Overall I'm still loving the car though and love driving it everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Is that M50 on 20s?

I'm a bit worried about upgrading in Q1 if so!

Range will take a serious hit coming from eDrive40 on 19s.

Average consumption for me. kWh/100km

December 20.6

November 20

October 19.6

September 17.5

Average of 1000km to 1500km per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Is that 350 kms at 120 km/hr????.

Pretty nice for winter if so....

Big battery and fastback shape for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

similar consumption to my etron 55 on 21s, big wheels seem to make a big difference (and the etron is inefficient anyway)the range is more of a mental issue than a real one i find!

Yes, that’s on 20s

One but I do have though is that you really feel every bump and pothole in her. I’m not sure if I’ve run flats or not, must check that. How do you find the suspension, I’ve noticed a huge change from my 530e which was on runflats too. I do have the suspension set to comfort as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

And that issue with the chargers is what worries me. I live in Donegal, so on my trips to Dublin, I’d have your problem, just in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I test drove m sport on 19” wheels and the ride was very comfortable.

I thought the combination of adaptive dampers and the hydraulic suspension at the rear were supposed to make it similar on the 20’s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Can someone with the M50 confirm that it uses this type of latches for all 4 doors?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

https://youtu.be/TqxXcSNAqc8

Not great for long distance trips, throttling to 98kw from the start of the charging session

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Saw that but it's totally at odds with my experience above where I got close to 200kw charging speed. Similar temperatures too.

Setting the destination on the inbuilt sat nav to Ionity was the factor for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

That limitation is more for 1000km+ trips, which majority of owners won't do, but I had an 8k km Europe trip last summer, so i4 not suitable

Range is very poor in this weather, left Cork with 94% and got to Junction 14 with 7%. It’s freezing cold though, so have air con set to 23deg and both front heated seats are on. 2 adults and 2 kids in car with a full boot too.

Thankfully Junction 14 had a free charger but there have been cars waiting in the 15mins I’ve been here.

Getting 87kW from the charger right away but it hasn’t gone above that, there is a Tesla Model 3 beside me though charging from the same unit so maybe that’s making a difference.

Last night in Cork had similar experience where I was getting max 75kW when and id4 was taking the other plug on the charger. I’m assuming some sort of load sharing going on rather than the car limiting the charging speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yeah, ESB ones. But when the Tesla left I was still charging for a few mins and it didn’t go above 87kW either. In saying that I didn’t have the charger set as a destination in the charger as it couldn’t find them until I was basically there. So that may have had an impact too.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 davewalshucc

I know about the charger destination in the Sat Nav and in fairness Yer man does explain about the temp being brought up/down for 25 min/km out from arrival. But didn’t he also get some option to precondition on a pull own on the menu as well, which he didn’t do as it would mess with the air con heating? So is there a manual battery precondition option?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Range is very poor in all EVs in sub zero temps. I'm using well over 30kWh / 100km in my Tesla Model S (the facelift much more efficient model) on short local trips. No heatpump. This is about double the consumption it would be in perfect summer weather.

The key unanswered question re the charge throttling is what the precise parameters are for a reset.

To me it looks like Bjorn didn't really have a proper overnight stop from the point of view of how the cars systems probably view it.

And it looks like the worst throttling kicks off after 5 charges - there is a less severe throttling at charge 4.

So what happens in the following scenarios......

3 HPC charges in the day - stop at hotel overnight and AC charge overnight.....

You drive Oslo to Germany and experience throttling but stay overnight at hotel on AC charging.

Bjorn tried AC charging but only for a very brief period.

What I'm thinking is that BMWs BMS on i4 is looking for a shut down of the car for an unknown period and/or a longer period of AC charging to reset the charge speed to normal.

Also what happens if some of your charging is at 50 kW DC or 100 kW DC.

Is the throttling linked to consistent 200 kW charging.

• Advertisement

I wonder are people starting to cancel orders?

Conlan’s Limerick have up on Carzone a 231 40 model tanzanite blue m sport available in January as well as a nice spec m50 model. There’s supposedly queues of buyers for these?

Could be just generating interest, although you'd think they shouldn't have to.

Joe Duffys were suppose to be selling the 221 eDrive 40 i had in Q4 of this year but they haven't as i suspect its the only demo they can get their hands on.

The cars are specific specs so I imagine they are already built or almost built.

Yeah that makes sense also. They are some price compared to what they were at the start of the year. I newly bought an MSport eDrive 40 in white for €64k in February. I would have been still waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I would say they’ll be plenty cancellations in the coming months. PCP/HP rates going up, trade in values dropping off and list prices jumping by €5K-€10k for no obvious reason other than they can. Perfect Storm

Yeah and the i4 m50 that DC ev have for sale is still there a few months later.

if there was huge demand it surely would have sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 davewalshucc

Just got a email (after I enquired that my Oct ordered E-40 is built and due for 2nd week In Jan delivery. (No mention of price rises so far!!!) just wondering the consensus on D reg for resale on “premium” cars. I’ve an option of Limerick or Kerry reg based on location and wondering is avoiding a “country” reg still a thing for Dublin people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

So after two weeks and 1000km In mostly very cold weather I’ve got 23.5kWh/100km on the edrive40 on 19s.

Guessing this should improve quite a bit when temps pick up to more normal Irish winter ones?

Mixture of 10 min school runs with car plugged in (preconditioned) some times and then a few 30 - 50km trips and small bit of motorway driving. Have heating at 21 or 22 and set to low, using the heated seats and wheel too.

You got plenty of range for most trips so I wouldn't worry at all about efficiency, warmer temps will make a big difference, all electrics see much higher consumption in cold weather.

+ you got a lot better fast charging than I do in my VW id3 tour 5 which never goes above 60 Kw @ 12 deg C battery temp and 20% charge, so with the recent temps and between 1-5 deg C battery temps I would definitely hate to try fast charge now as the battery heater does not come on unless 0 deg C battery temp if I remember correctly and switches off again around 4-5 deg C vs always heating to 12 deg C, this has made a huge improvement to local driving efficiency of course but at the expense of a much colder battery.

Not sure what way the i4 heats the battery ? the i3 Rex was amazing for cold weather because charging that at a temp of 10 deg C would only allow around 30-35 Kw on DC, it needed 20+ to get full 50 Kw but it kept at 50 Kw all the way until around 85% remarkable for 2017 EV, hard to find an ev today with such a linear charging curve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

That's pretty good, our EV6 is getting about 25kWh/100km up from about 19 or 20 in warmer weather. I will say that our we got better efficiently last year when the car was new and were more conscious of it, we're now driving without thinking about efficiently and it's showing but who cares!

Advertisement