Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

What do Rashist troops actually do with all the toilets and bathtubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

As to why Putin wanted Ukraine , I'd say it's probably a long list of things all combined ..

Probably high on that list is because he thought he could get away with it ..

Some of it was strategic , strenght in depth , ( there's speculation that he was likely to annex east of the dniper river ,and set up a puppet state to the west ,possibly with Russia holding all the coast,

It's a good way to then exert pressure on Moldova,

It further secures Crimea, and guarentees it's water supply for irrigation...

Stops Ukraine exploiting energy reserves to supply into Europe, (largely accomplished in 2014) ,but this completes the Donbass invaison,

Legacy , Putin got to reestablish novarossia, maybe gets to go down in the history books as a great - like his heros Peter the great and Catherine the great ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

From the web

"Ukraine has great opportunities to become one of the world's leading lithium producers," they said. According to experts, the main reserves of this metal, also known as "white gold", are located in the Donbas region, in the east of the country, and in a territory known as the "Ukrainian Shield", in the centre."

Also he doesn't want another West leaning democracy next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

Actually, Afghanistan and its people are great. the same cannot be said for the Taliban who have hi-jacked the Country. Lot of it is semi-arid desert, but lots of it with incredible beauty too. And it has great natural wealth, precious stones etc. The Chinese have gotten some very lucrative mineral rights (Illegally sold to them by a corrupt government minister.) So if the Chinese are involved, there's value in it, for sure! Biggest handicap with the Afghan's is that they are locked into Tribal Clan system. So even when they hold a Loya Jirga ( general meeting of all the Clans to make decisions, like elections etc. and the nearest thing to what we call democracy) It has been like this for hundreds of years. Ironically, despite all that the Americans did to modernize Afghanistan, in the end, one of the reasons it failed was because of the tribal system. Very Islamic in outlook, and that was long before the Taliban was even heard of. They take their obligations very serious according to the Pashtun code, if a stranger knocks on their door, and they invite him in, under their code, once he enters, he is under their protection, even if that means dying for him. I found them to be a very warm friendly people, with a sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

What I don't understand is why he wanted Ukraine in the first place. What has it got that Russia doesn't

1. The main reason for the war, in my opinion, is to squash Ukraine's democracy (no matter how weak it is). Ukraine is changing its presidents on a regular basis. In Putin's eyes this is an abomination. If Ukrainians can change presidents, what's to stop Russians from doing the same?
    2. Putin's support circle needs additional sources of income. They have picked Russia to its bare bones. A new captive market of 40 million people is enough to feed hungry oligarchs for 15-20 years.
    3. As  Markcheese said above, to stop Ukraine from exporting it's own gas. Any competition to the Russian monopoly on piped(=cheaper) gas must be squashed.
    4. To raise Russia's bargaining power with the West. If the invasion was successful in taking over Ukraine in a short time, right now Russia would be demanding concessions such as "denazification" (=surrender) of Baltic states and Moldova.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

I understand the difference, but there are similarities. One had it in mind to wipe out an ethnic group for reason X, the other had it in mind to kill as many as possible of an ethnic group for reason Y. Differences in the details but saying Putin is like Hitler is not that much of a stretch of the imagination. If Putin thought he could drop the bomb he prob would, but he knows that would lead to his countries annihilation. Otherwise he might well reach that 6m figure. He knows the majority of the people of Ukraine want their independence, wiping out millions, taking the oil, mineral and food rich lands and some kids in the bargain would be the jackpot in his eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Things getting dicey for collaboraters. Rightly so. They are worse than the invaders.

All Eyes On Rafah

Bathtubs and toilets. The most sought after items when a Russian robs your house.

It's the Irish and probably every nation's way of winding people up. It's a way to find out who's able to be wound up by the descriptions. And those who get offended/wound up are 99.99% the people they're describing or have an association with them. It's a human tool of discourse for investigation.

Have the Russian people, soldiers, administration earned all the titles? 100% and more besides.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It doesn't wind me up though, it just makes me think uggghhh and not take the poster as seriously as I would like to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Given the EU parliament corruption investigation kicking off into Qatar bribing a Greek MEP, Eva Kalili, now would be a very appropriate time to mention that two other MEPs should probably be investigated for financial and other links to the Horde, given their extraordinary stances which are entirely at odds with commonly held EU principles and the prevailing majority opinions in favour of Ukraine.

Moscow Mick must be high on the list for ‘getting onside’,

1. Went broke after being used to lots of cash.
    2. Disgruntled, thinks the ‘system’ was against him.
    3. Re Pensions. Scruples are probably not a hindrance.
    4. is a complete gobshité

But sure then just scroll past.

Russians are going to have labels now because of this war and for a good while after.

There'll be literary historians looking back at this thread in 100 years time and going "That's interesting".

There's worse ways to describe a looting, raping, paedophile, genocidal army than Orcs.

Meanwhile back in the war.....

It appears South Africa could possibly be supplying mr. putrids ruSSia with weapons.

The ship Lady R has been to Simons Town harbour, which I believe may also harbour (pun intended) a naval base. The ship's AIS has been switched off.

If it's true, be terrible if she were to sink, where are the French, they're good at that.

Off topic, but there’s less than no chance boards.ie servers and info will be here in 100 years.

There was a fantastic forum called P45.net and there was some fantastic conversations and characters. It rapidly went downhill. All gone into the ether now, never to be read again.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Would love to see an in depth investigation into those two alright. I am sure there are a few other politicians sucking at the tit of Russian blood money across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

For the most part I do, bit then ya tend to miss important parts of the discussion. As I said I find it childish, it's just my personal opinion, it doesn't mean I disagree with the rest of their post.

Mostly, they will be put in the shed, out the back. And in the minus temps, they will quickly discover that our modern toilets will become much colder than the wooden arrangements they are used to when installed out of doors in sub -zero temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Looking at the strikes around Melitopol, the bridges towards the East, the Wagner spa Hotel and Southern special forces operations..... anyone else smell another Ukrainian counter offensive brewing?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Bridge at M14 highway between Melitopol and Kostiantynivka village was blown up

supply line crunch

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement

They're just waiting for the land to freeze and become more trafficable

The fact is that with reference to these inhuman Ruzzian murderous bastards, there are no apt names to describe them in the English language. Even escapees from hell does not adequately describe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

Reports of russians already trying to disrupt Ukraine forces in the area with artillery fire in a forbes article.

"on Dec. 9. The skirmish began when “the movement of large mechanized forces of the armed forces of Ukraine near the front was revealed by Russian intelligence,” Igor Girkin, a pro-Russian separatist leader, wrote on social media.

The intel prompted “massive artillery strikes on enemy positions and near rear areas in the Hulyaipole ... region,” Girkin added. Ukrainain artillery in return struck Polohy.

It’s unclear what Ukrainian mechanized forces may have moved into Hulyaipole in possible anticipation of an offensive toward Melitopol."

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A load of posts deleted

Yes there was a stench of whataboutery. That stops now

Everyone else, if it returns please report. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

ah look, thanked by 3 sad banned groupies on rouble income. How cute...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭rogber

Any genuinely credible estimates on how many Wagnerians were killed in the hotel strike?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

whatever the number, not enough. At least, they got warm before they got cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Warm where they are off to too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That is actually a Russian drone dropping a grenade. The original video was published on a Russian Telegram channel yesterday before the one you linked to that ended up going viral.

A Ukrainian army officer with his own Telegram has called it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

😂😂😂😂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement