Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Some people only see the immediate and don't see the long term consequences of their actions - I've a few in my family like that, they say or do awful stuff when they are mad then wonder why the person they hurt so badly keep them at arms length.

I don't know how accurate it is but there were reports of Meghan saying she was hoping for reconciliation with the family after the book and the documentary and I immediately thought that really, could the two of them be that unaware?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Considering they’ve spent two years complaining to all via press and media articles that they’re “victims” , I don’t see any other explanation except that they truely believe what they are saying.

They’re currently milking this victimhood well past its use by date- it’s wrong on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yet, she somehow had a two year relationship with Hasnat Kahn and this never became public. Give me a break. She knew exactly what she was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Diana was known for tipping off the press and then playing the victim asking for privacy.

The press had turned against until her death and subsequent sainthood. The Queen of Tarts was how she was referred to, it's amazing what dying tragically at a young age does for your reputation.

As an aside, I'm spending too much time here, I've posted this before. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

I think the original trailer said "The British press lied to protect my brother" but it was changed to "They lied to protect my brother". Unless there is explicit examples of whatever "they" were lying about then this is Oprah 2.0 all over again i.e. someone was racist (but it wasn't the Queen or who everyone assumes it to be). The William/Rose affair is a logical fallacy. It does not follow because there are certainly some elements in the British press which is anti-monarchy yet there was never any reporting on an affair (which would be damaging to the Royal family) from any such reputable outlets. If there was any substance to the gossip and rumour then there would have been some mainstream traction at a minimum. Even for monarchist supporting UK media then such a story (and subsequent developments) would be a big money spinner. As such it exists purely in the digital sphere where anonymity generally prevails and was always a go to for Twitter bots trying to make hashtags relating to it trend at specific times (i.e. when the PPOW had a major gig or H&M were getting eviscerated over something). Maybe they’ll skirt around the affair rumour. Maybe they’ll imply that Giles Coren was leant on by the palace to retract outing William. Maybe they’ll argue that the Daily Mail would have article after article attacking them but when his brother had an affair it was crickets from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

The problem here is that you are thinking logically. You might think, why would they act like this if they didnt believe it? Logic, clear thinking and facts don't apply to narcissists. Markle has constructed a narrative bubble around herself where she is an untouchable angel sent from heaven, perfect in every way and the awful, racist world is against her.

Narcissists want what they want and will twist the truth any which way in order to manipulate their way to getting it. It goes without saying that I'm fairly certain that Megain is a raging narcissist. I believe she got love-struck Harry on board with her plans and he either isn't fully aware of what she is doing or realises he is in too deep now and can't publicly backout. He has his kids and livelihood to think about.

As to what they(She) wants, its money and fame. That simple.

It only comes from dealing with similar people in real life that I can recognise what she is. I too believed people's behaviour could in large part be explained logically but boy how wrong I was. Seeing the depths people will go to in order to preserve their victim narrative and uphold their manipulation is truly amazing.

But in a funny way logic can be used to highlight what she is doing. Just take her Oprah interview for example. She presented so many lies and inaccuracies there. She framed her kids not getting certain titles as racist when in fact she was just ignorant of the rules. She played the victim card right from the off. She claims she wanted away from the invasive tabloids etc yet she is constantly courting the press, trying to make herself relevant and popular. Of course the tabloids are going to lap this stuff up, its easy column inches. But if she truly wanted the quiet life she could have returned to the US and kept a low profile. She is doing the opposite. Clearly, she wanted the half in, half out and threw her toys out of her pram when she realised that wasnt happening.

Its not just the big things that point at her narcissism, look at the little incidents like when Mariah Carey jokingly called her a diva on her podcast. That was enough for Megain to do a little post interview addendum basically sticking up the middle finger at MC. Narcissists cannot abid any form of (even perceived) criticism. Or her making up the story about the South African dancer saying her wedding was akin to Nelson Mandela being freed.

Its all bullshit and spin from Megain. Thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Agreed. I think the Oprah interview was agreed before Megxit even happened. The talking points were flexible but Oprah got the exclusive. I think it was unnecessary to do it but it was done to launch their brand stateside and also posit an explanation to deflect from the alleged (and brand damaging) bullying allegations i.e. it wasn't Saint Meghan bullying, it was the grey suit bastards engaging in a smear campaign against her because they are all racist arseholes and she is the Little Mermaid or something. Also agreed on the narcissism. Having been around these types before then it seems to me that you can do right by them 99 times out of 100 and nothing is said but you err once and you're damned with theatrics forevermore. She strikes me as that type i.e. they probably couldn't have done any more than they reasonably could for her but it would never be enough and she was deliberately sensitive to anything which she could weaponise down the line if she didn't get her way.

Watching the civil war documentary on rte , on the subject of dominion status for us I was half expecting Meghan to show up with an opinion 😂😂 “like they want you to bow to them , what’s all that about “ 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Hence Oprah was invited to the wedding, and leaving no room for her niece. Don't buy Meghan's excuse for not inviting her niece.

Good points.

Yeah I agree no matter what the reason it’s hopeless trying to make sense of any of it- I do think Meaghan has a key role here, likely taking the place of palace advisors and media advisors that Harry would have used in the past- and we can all see what direction that’s gone.

With all of the resignations from H&Ms “team”, both at their time at the palace and especially since, likely supports our theory quite substantially that the direction they’re taking makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

• Advertisement

No wonder it’s confusing- sounds like episodes 4-6 may yet be dumbed down - potentially they had meatier content since edited ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11529141/Mystery-two-versions-Harry-Meghan-Netflix-trailer.html

Could Meghan Markle seriously be invited to the official coronation of King Charles next year?

It would be extraordinary if that were to be allowed.

The latest preview of the next three episodes refer to "institutionalized gaslighting" and how Markle was "fed to the wolves". It also talks about how Prince William is protected in a way that did not apply to Harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,700 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Of course. Weren’t both them involved in the Queen’s funeral. And likely excuse would have been “the Queen was sound. We had no beef with her.” Hard bloody necks are an absolute necessity for an attention seeking celebrity.

And no doubt whatsoever that she’d show up to the King’s coronarion as if butter wouldn’t melt.

It may come across as another red carpet event for Meghan and Harry; that their presence effectively upstages the King.

Almost like when embarrassing relatives are invited to a family event. You don't really want them there.

Have you ever had a falling out with a friend and know that their experience would be totally different than yours? Yet both of you are telling the truth. That's how I mostly see this whole carryon. There are embellishments going on with this pair though or events being framed in a particular way.

I watched the 3 episodes and I was fascinated by the pair of them and the worlds they inhabit. Meghan is warm and open and giving. I also think she is manipulative, spoilt, and insecure.

She said something that I thought very telling when talking about the Sandringham outing, the sense of a big family. For a woman who was brought up as the only child of divorced parents that would have been huge for her. So the realisation that it wasn't all cosy and connected would have hurt.

The lack of hugs from Will and Kate becomes something personal a rejection even... what's wrong with me why didn't they reciprocate....It becomes a talking point rather than a case of Meghan secure in herself regarding how she was dressed and not being offended by another's boundaries.

There isn't anything wrong with wanting to hug and wear whatever you like and there isn't anything wrong with being formal and guarded.To experience such a "rejection" when she wants to be a part of this family. I think that encounter clouded every other interaction she had with them.

One aspect of emotional maturity is to be able to accept that you won't get along with everyone but that doesn't mean those people are less than you or even better. They are simply different.

Harry isn't at all stupid or lacking in that department but he is bitter and angry. I could see the disdain flash across his face at times when referring to his family. Of course he wasn't going to get special treatment for Meghan because of perceived race angles.

Before Kate was Princess Catherine she was the subject of articles about her non aristocratic background and how she was just a silly woman waiting around. Why no special protection there?

There are elements that I do believe happened exactly as they say. The carry on of her Father rings true and her half sister. I also think Harry left her very un prepared for life as a royal. The British tabloid press as well are absolutely awful. They are a pack of animals in how they go about their jobs. They treated Meghan dreadfully.

If there was a documentary and a calling out to be made then that could have been the focus. Stay away from personal digs at the family and instead focus on the power and destructiveness of the media. Look at race in a broader way and the dark parts of English history.

But no because they have chosen to act through the lens of their personal baggage and project and be swept along by emotional triggers and lack of self awareness.

Ultimately it boils down to cultural differences, I'd recoil in horror if a barefoot American I'd never met before tried to hug me. I'd also have the cop on to realise that royal life isn't for me, there's no way she didn't do her research on that.

Catherine was vilified, her mother was a social climber who had the temerity to have ancestors who were coal miners, Waity Katy was desperate to get her claws into William, tabloids reported that the RF found her family distastefully middle class etc.

It's not a life for the fainted hearted, and Meghan is anything but.

You wouldn't be hurt by the barefoot American's advance and take it in and torment yourself afterwards because of your insecurities. Or maybe you would. I've been in loads of social situations where I thought to myself 'what must they think' or 'why did I'. I know it's my own stuff though.

I don't think Meghan is faint hearted but I do think there is a deep sensitivity within her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭maebee

If Harry & Meghan were truly genuine, they would have aired their grievances to an independent reliable news outlet, FOC. The fact that they earned 80+ million from Netflix for dissing his family is disgusting, imo. I am no Royalist. I just think that they are despicable.

Would you do an interview, a docuseries and write a book about it though?

They need to build a bridge at this stage.

That's the angry hurt child who can only see as far as their own nose coming out.

• Advertisement

It will certainly be a story dragged out way beyond the page numbers it should take to do so. Verbosity at its finest coupled with mass generalisations and a pinch of poor me, the multimillionaire Prince

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Hate to break it to some most Irish people do love British culture via TV Sports and alike.

It just shows you, Princess Anne’s “treat em mean” approach really does work - so too does Prince Phillips no nonsense approach (maybe minus the slitty eyes references these days though) - both commanded respect from the press overall and journalists were celebrating when they got them on a good day- none of this bullsh1t correcting news stories you don’t like every morning - tell ‘em all to Naff off! - instant respect ! 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭maebee

The 19 Diana was a lamb to the slaughter. She loved him but he loved loved another woman.

She was but she also had the capacity to be emotionally manipulative and use the press for when it suited her. The martyrdom that continues to surround her is narrow-minded in my view.

Much the same as the hatred that is felt towards Harry and Meghan. I think they are a pair of gobshítes and at the same time as complicated as the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I hear what you're saying but I think at this stage even if there was even a small element of hurt and wounded in them, the fact that they're still flogging their stories loses credibility.

To thine own self be true

I think the woundedness has nothing to do with how they feel they were treated by the Royal family. It's old and is being triggered. With Meghan for example she felt shame and embarrassment at having her hug rejected, this in turn became anger and pettyness towards her in laws.

Harry has a lot of unresolved issues relating to his parenting and his mother's death. There's very little resilience, acceptance and self awareness. Instead he lashes out and drags his family through the mud.

I see it in terms of how our demons can get the better of us and ruin so much potential. All of this is just my view. I haven't a clue as to who they really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

They want their privacy, but seem to disregard other peoples' privacy with little thought. As for the hug, me personally I would feel uncomfortable hugging someone I just met.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I wonder would I be able to get a hug from Meghan if I meet her for the first time 🤔

Advertisement