Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave Chappelle triggers the Woke Left..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

My point is that many jews are part of the wealthy white society. They make up the largest percentile of the wealthy white. They hardly view themselves with contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I know, they consider themselves part of wealthy white society, something like 90% of Jews in America consider themselves white, according to a Pew Research Survey 2020 -

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2021/05/11/race-ethnicity-heritage-and-immigration-among-u-s-jews/

How Jews see themselves isn’t the point, they only make up 3% of the population, with 20% of them living below the federal poverty line, most of those in New York (this particular article from 2013) -

https://forward.com/opinion/179934/the-ignored-jewish-poor/?amp=1

The point is how they are regarded by wealthy white society. Wealthy white society doesn’t regard Jews as being part of their culture, and treats them accordingly. They treat wealthy black society the same, and that’s what sticks in the craw of individuals like Chapelle - doesn’t matter how much he’s worth, he’s still not white, and he is treated accordingly.

That’s the perception he was rallying against when he did his 8:42 monologue and portrayed the rioting among blacks as “the streets talking”. Chapelle isn’t from the streets, he grew up in a well-connected, well-educated family, quite different from the majority of black Americans. But the imagery of persecution serves his purposes, just as it does to portray Jews as being in control of American society when his audience are middle class white people.

It’s a compelling narrative, but utterly false.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It’s been a long time ago since Jews started beating WASPS at their own game , Beit in the world of finance or wherever else

the Jewish population of America perhaps still view themselves as not full on establishment but they certainly are far from outsiders anymore

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The topic is Dave Chappelle, not the Jewish population of the US

There doesn't seem to be any specifics here.

What exactly did Dave Chappelle say that was wholly inappropriate to be the subject of a joke?

I've yet to come across it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,489 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Even Jerry Seinfeld was clearly perturbed by the SNL. Seinfeld famously bemoans comedy nowadays being too sensitive etc. but this was one topic even he declined to talk about when asked, just saying the ‘comedy’ was well executed but that he hopes this leads to a productive conversation. He declined to expand on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

It doesn’t have to be a particular thing he said. While he tackles issues that are edgey, I find very little of what he says offensive. Compared with many English comedians he is tame but says it in a typical black fashion, loud and forceful. Nothing wrong with that.

what I think the issue is personally, is that he makes comic observations about things “woke” members of society find off-limits.

sorry but comedy, should tackle every subject and observation in life. Nothing should be off-limits. It may make people squirm, it may be uncomfortable to hear, but if it’s funny, it’s funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Just read a few pages there, I can't believe how obsessed america is with race apparently, and I live here. I couldn't care less about historic injustice if I am being honest, I have this life to get whatever I can out of, I don't spend my time thinking about the British atrocities to my ancestors for example, all of those people are dead, I don't group people by race and I don't represent a group. It felt like there was a movement back in the 90s, to try to diminish the importance of race but in the last ten years it's like we reversed and decided we should all double down on racial polarization, now it's like every problem must be seen from a racial perspective. You can't have a fight in a grocery store these days without someone commentating on the racial angle. Is there nothing to be said for forgetting about race? Are we not tired of it yet? I know , I know, it's my white privilege, yadda yadda, I honestly wish I had more melanin, I wouldn't get sunburned so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

So if a comedian wants to spout racist stuff, that would be ok for you, as long as you find it funny?

Racism isn’t comedy though , if something is actually racist it’s not comedy(.it’s a crime ). Through satire you can hover close to the line to prove a point, or show up racists and racism and to the sensitive this may appear racist but it’s not. If you are a member of the affected ethnic or minority groups then you can go slightly over the line to show others how it affects you , and that isn’t racist either

• Advertisement

the only negative things I can say is I’m getting tired of the fact that every time someone finds him offensive he gets 100m dollars 😂and as much as I like him I disnt find his recent Irish gig value for money (partly coz it was so good time flew)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,226 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I don't see anything in the monologue that would be truly offensive to anyone...

...except Kanye West, Kyrie Irving and stupid Trump supporters. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

You really need to go to comedy clubs a little more. Would make a change from mam and dads spare room!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There is a sizable amount of the modern left who see the Jews as embodying capitalism in ethnic form.

Wealthy society in America seems to have very little problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Leftism. The only ideology that is totally reliant on another ideology (capitalism) to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Comedy Clubs, are you joking? They are generally filled with shít comedians. I'll leave that to yourself.

Dave had Elon Musk on stage for about 10 mins where he tried to I don’t know what, to platform Elon I guess, at an event that was supposed to be unrecorded.

Interestingly, can’t find the clips on Twitter, the accounts sharing it have been nuked

“Do you hear that sound, Elon? That’s the sound of pending civil unrest. I can’t wait to see what store you decimate next, motherfucker.”

Eventually Musk gave up trying to say whatever it was he was trying to say or do and the session devolved into various booing and Dave trying to salvage the event, joking about strip clubs on mars, even placating the audience by reaching into his often-self-lamented attachment to catchphrases from the old Chappelle show - he decided to honor requests to say “I’m rich, biatch,” complete with truck horn sound effect… then Elon did the catch phrase, to cringe. At this point there was a whole gaggle of Chappelle people on stage trying to stifle boos at Elon every time he had the microphone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Poor little Elon. Lives in a bubble probably in shock now. That horse Majorie Taylor green will massage his ego some more on twitter and make all the pain go away. Hilarious how the woke left can trigger Elon and his legion of rimmers. Typical spoilt little bich

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I just can't stand US standup. It's so banal and inoffensive. As for Chappelle, he's become a corporate shill, jumping on the anti-woke bandwagon and shilling Musk in a desperate attempt to keep going. Pathetic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Hah? Corporations are now anti-woke, where is this?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

Sounds like you’re spoiled on Jimmy carr reminding Ann Coulter it wasn’t too late to kill herself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No idea he'd said that. I quite like Frankie Boyle.

Nobody even comes close to the Brits when it comes to stand-up. US comics seem utterly cowed and compliant by comparison.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I despise Ann Coulter and love Jimmy Carr, but Christ that's not cool.

What Frankie Boyle said about Katie Price's son... what a prick.

Love Dave Chappelle, and yet I personally find him offensive at times. I despise Musk.

I don't get the need for being politically biased when it comes to what comedy performers you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

But WOKEness is firmly in league with corporate culture

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭supermans ghost

Well, if you do go to one, don’t forget your wet blanket. I get the impression you never leave home without it.

I don't get the need for being politically biased when it comes to what comedy performers you like.

I don't get the need to reply to things that nobody said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Farnkie Boyle makes me laugh, but only because I automatically laugh when I observe bespectacled bearded gingers with strong accents.

• Advertisement

You're OK with Carr suggesting someone kill themselves because you dislike her politics. Frankie Boyle is just a crass dickhead, whose humour would not be tolerated if he was conservative (and I loved him before he started punching down on disabled people and resorting to using rape for his repertoire) and Dave Chappelle has over 25 years of material - he's brilliant. I don't like some of his jokes, but I don't understand people turning against him just because of his recent activity, like that wipes out his entire history.

Advertisement