Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER Assessment incorrect

• 12-12-2022 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Hi,

i recently got a BER for a grant and reading the advisory I can see a clear error in the assessment. What recourse would sow, typically have for correcting a BER?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Moving to BER forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭con747

Contact your accessor and get them to change the incorrect information, I asked my accessor how much would it cost if I made upgrades to get it put on the BER and he said around €30. If it was the accessors mistake he should be paying that in my opinion.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

He's saying the text it the advisory note is auto generated but he put in the correct values. That basically because I cannot provide the evidence of design limits go signed by the installer for my heat pump, default values are taken. If I hadn't just got solar my BER would have gone from a 2016 A2 to a 2022 B1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭circadian

As frustrating as it is, they can only go by default values if no evidence of what was actually installed is provided. The same happened to me at my last BER assessment because I didn't have supporting documentation for my windows and doors. I've since gotten that documentation and will provide it at the next rating which I suspect will boost it significantly since the difference between default values and what was actually installed is significant.

I would contact the original installer and request any information they have regarding your heat pump installation. In the case of my windows and doors they still had this information available from 2016.

It will be all the way back to the builder unfortunately. All the properties in the state will be up in a few years and I can see this being a major issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭con747

If you have no proof or documentation to prove something I'm afraid that's the way the SEAI do things. I had internal 50mm dry lining done a few years ago but couldn't prove it on paper even though the accessor could see it was done it wasn't allowed to be taken into account for my BER. A joke in my opinion the way it's done but this is Ireland.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I had plenty of proof, even the signed commissioning report from the builders install and the specifications where fully available for the kit online but it wasn't the right "type" of proof apparently. Really annoyed by this.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

theres a specific file that SEAI need "signed off"

here it is: https://www.seai.ie/home-energy/building-energy-rating-ber/support-for-ber-assessors/software/deap/Designer-Installer-Sign-Off-Form.xlsx

if this form isnt given, we have to use default values.

dont blame the assessor, blame SEAI... they have developed the system where a second BER can be worse than an original due to the fact that the information made available to, and provided to SEAI by, the first assessor, isnt made available to the second assessor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Completely agree about the BER process being a joke. The assessor who called to me only asked for receipts from our latest (and hopefully last !) remodelling of our house (we spent over 100K 20 years with all external walls being insulated slab etc, and this time, in an airtightness effort, we did spray foam insulation in the suspended floors and the attic joists with membrane, removed the reveals around the windows, taped them up along with taping around architraves, skirting boards, and siliconing the tops of skirting boards, mvhr, solar panels etc costing another 100k, and we were given a C1. The guy couldn't given a monkeys, it's all just a paper filling exercise.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

did you get an airtightness test carried out and give the results to the assessor?

• Advertisement

Sorry for the late reply, yes I did say I got an airtightness survey done and he said he wasn't interested, all he wanted was receipts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Biker1

An airtightness survey is different to an airtightness test carried out by a NSAI registered tester. If you had the test report then the assessor would have included it in the BER

Sorry I misspoke, it was an airtightness test.

Advertisement