Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Flight Manifest means nothing. If a person gets off a plane and has no passport then you cant identify the person. Nobody knows the persons details. They cant be sent back because they have no passport.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

You need to book online using an email address.

You need to pay online with a card that needs valid id to open a bank account.

You go ahead now and provide a link to the statement of fact that nobody can know anything about anyone without a passport.

When you provide that I will agree with your really really stupid point.

If you cannot then we can agree your post is really really stupid.

I look forward to your link.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

Until Irish airports and airlines adopt a intraoperational biometric system it cannot be scanned in the immediate vicinity of the airport there and then. Given our propensity to tag along long after other countries have adopted procedures, I imagine we will be waiting. This was discussed a few pages back - its not straightforward and not stagnant in that some regulations have changed in line with Ukraine war for example. The National Garda Immigration Bureau have now as of this year have ( i think) access to the Schengen information system which is Europe's largest law enforcement database and the steady pace of weekly European arrest warrants which come before the Irish courts indicates they are using it to good effect. Perusing the cases in court records certainly implies that there are occasions whereby someone will apply for asylum here in Ireland as a means of avoiding prosecution in another country where a crime was committed. It seems to feature regularly.

The immigration officials had stopped people directly at steps of aircraft and detained in Cloverhill or Dochas or deported directly on next flight back but that was deemed unlawful. Under European law, everyone has the right to apply for asylum even if they have violated this law through the destruction or falsifying of ID. Does it make sense or bode well that they are inadvertently rewarded for their dishonesty - I don't believe so but our opinions are irrelevant when it comes to international asylum legislation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You really need to stop focusing on the destruction of documents. The department of foreign affairs, department of social protection and department of justice all have functions and processes to handle that. This won't be the first time we've had a mass income of refugees and Id really expect that all of this fear mongering and racist nonsense would have been exhausted by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I don't need proof.

I fully believe those young men are all are all economic migrants, oh and I was avoiding nothing I just don't have any real interest in engaging with you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Yet another case of a non-EU national with Spanish papers facilitating an illegal scheme. Mohamed Morsy Ahmed arrived on a flight from Lisbon, and was found with 12 genuine refugee travel & resident permission documents while attempting to pass through immigration control at Dublin Airport with no checked luggage, at a time when we were during Level 5 Cv19 lockdown when only travel for essential business was permitted.

7 of the refugee documents were from Greece and 5 were from Germany. He traveled on a Spanish passport and claimed he lived in Santander since the 1990s, there was also a suggestion he obtained asylum in these countries hence having the documents. He was also found with passports from Yemen (legitimate) & a Polish passport which was fake. But Ahmed said he found the documents on the plane. On that same flight, 13 passengers presented themselves at immigration control with no travel documents & applied for international protection. A family of 6 (4 children), a family of 5 adults & 2 single adults. Isn't that a coincidence, the documents found on Morsy matched the 13 people. They were taken to a reception center where their asylum process when they should have been put on the next flight to Lisbon. DublinReg-III violation 101.

https://www.sundayworld.com/crime/courts/man-involved-in-facilitating-illegal-immigration-to-ireland-jailed/2104314016.html

• Advertisement

These ideas politicians advisors arrive at in their brainstorming sessions are comical..."local champions" 😂 I can only see Fr Ted and Dougal with a flipchart. what the rest of the article indicates is they haven't a notion what to do in response to protests at modular housing other than leaflet drops or calling house to house. Some stealth strategic approaches there.. A direct meeting is mooted..well because as illustrated by the internal emails they can predict how such meetings would go. "local champions" = NGO's who are not impartial and attempt to act as gatekeepers. I think we can all see how that will pan out at the outset.

You said allowing these people into the country is the right thing to do.

I asked you why it is the right thing to do.

I have no idea what your waffle above has to do with what I asked.

So now that we have established you are in favor of people illegally entering the country, why is allowing them in the right thing to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

AKA = Everybody, including the migrants, just have blind faith in the same useless departments and offices of government that are currently involved in the operation of this entire ongoing current $hitshow.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

is it fear mongering though? The system is deeply flawed and open to manipulation and as is the case of human nature, will be manipulated. There are indeed genuine cases even when documents are mislaid as is the case of the sunday world article - were these people coerced to hand over their ID? The destruction of documents shouldn't be ignore if anything from a potential human rights perspective. We cant assume that these lax approaches in border security solely benefit asylum seekers, we have consistently remained on a watchlist for human trafficking, we must assume its also placing them at risk of traffickers.

The fears perhaps, in part arise from the fact that foreign nationals are over represented in Irish prison, Foreign nationals and ethnic minorities receiving longer prison sentences in Ireland | Irish Legal News with foreign nationals comprising 12 % of population and 17% of prison pop, with the Black community representing 1.2 % of the population and over 2% of committals to prison in the 12 month precovid period.

Yes it is. Every male refugee is targeted by this negative perception bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Friend of mine brought his daughters passport on a stag we were going on. Got to the desk in Dublin and he wasn’t allowed on. We knew the guy on the desk and asked if there was any chance, was told he’d be put straight back on the plane in Spain and Ryanair would get a big fine. So apparently you are can be put back on a plane, according to airline staff.

We all chipped in and got him a later flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I'm assuming most non nationals proportionately are in the age categories likely to go to prison e.g. 18 --> 40 or whatever it is. I doubt many 70 year olds end up in prison...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

lol but they wouldn't let you on the plane with no passport in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

What was it exactly that made you 100% sure that they were all economic migrants? I'm just curious as I'd like to be able to know myself. It's quite a skill you have there.

Yes because they would get a big fine lol indeed

Also he would be returned on a plane.

Try reading it again a bit slower.

Post edited by Backstreet Moyes on

• Advertisement

Your right I would disagree with that poster I would say a portion are criminals.

Someone boards a plane and destroys ID before they enter a country.

Without ID in ireland they can't open a bank account for an employer to pay them a wage.

So they are coming here for social welfare and cash in hand jobs.

So you go ahead and tell us how these people are coming here to start a life and are a benefit to Ireland.

It's quite a skill you must have, I look forward to your explanation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What "mass income of refugees" have we seen before? The Syrian war? About equal in size to Ukraine as far as death and destruction and refugees go. We took in just 3000 over a ten year period, all checked and boxes ticked. We were seeing those numbers from Ukraine near weekly this year. Post the jus soli birthright loophole closure a large proportion of so called refugees were actually refused leave to stay as their claims were considered bogus, over 90% of claims from certain countries, Nigeria, Romania, Georgia and even Ukraine(pre the war) among others. The peak of "asylum seekers" in Ireland was 2002 and it seems we as an electorate weren't too happy about that as the jus soli landslde result showed. We've thankfully tightened up that process since. It needs more tightening of late re chancers showing up on flights here and 40% "losing" passports. The 60% who don't I'd exercise far more leeway with.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The poster seems to think 100% of asylum seekers have "made up stories". That's ridiculous and says quite a lot about him. Glad you disagree with that, as any sane person would. Destroying ID etc is a separate issue unless the poster was claiming that 100% of them are destroying ID, which again is ridiculous and would say a lot about him. Once again, glad you disagree with him.

The discussion is about people turning up without ID being economic migrants or criminals.

Explain to me how someone who gets on a plane with ID, enters a country without ID is not an economic migrant.

If they wanted to ID themselves they could give their information to get themselves identified.

So they are turning without ID and refusing to identify themselves, without ID they cannot open a bank account for an employer to pay them.

So they cannot get a paying job so rely on social welfare and cash in hand jobs.

Now you tell me how these people are not economic migrants?

I cannot wait to hear your explanation.

That wasn't the topic I was discussing with that poster. I was inquiring as to how he knew that random lads had "made up stories". He seemed to be claiming that 100% of asylum seekers had "made up stories". You interjected into that conversation and said you disagree with him, as any sane person would. Now you're onto a completely separate topic about the ID issue. It's only related if you think 100% of asylum seekers are arriving without ID but you've already said that you don't think 100% of asylum seekers are arriving with no ID. You've already said you disagree with the poster, as any sane person would. Curious to see how that poster responds to us both disagreeing with him. Claiming that 100% of asylum seekers have "made up stories" says a lot about him anyway. I'm having a discussion with that poster about whether 100% of asylum seekers have "made up stories". You've taken my side on that, which once again, any sane person would. Once I've finished with that discussion, I'll discuss the ID issue with you. Cheers.

Yes that is the point, we have people here saying if you don't have a passport an airline won't take you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

They should really change the system. If you don’t have a passport you should not be permitted to disembark the plane. The airlines would soon ensure that they have copies of documents to pass onto immigration departments.

I don’t understand why someone claiming asylum would destroy their documents before disembarking. Surely, if they have left their own country out of fear, proof of who they are to back up their claim would be beneficial.

I don't understand how some posters on here can defend it.

They are literally encouraging potential criminals fleeing other countries into communities.

These people are usually coming from backwards countries where they have no respect for women or lgbt people.

They potentially could be fleeing a country because of a charge of assault against women or lgbt people.

Yet the same few posters who encourage allowing these people in are in other threads defending the rights of women and lgbt people.

I just find it fascinating how people can defend minorities in one thread and cheer on people potential criminals fleeing crimes in countries where they actively hate those minorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Because their passports may prove that they aren’t from that actual country, or if they were, they were happily living and working in a 3rd country.

i have seen airlines hold passenger passports during flight to avoid this situation, and In Paris and Frankfurt, I have seem immigration meet passengers on the steps of the aircraft to make sure that they had documentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

During Covid, procedures were put in place where airlines had to make sure that passengers had their Covid certificates, this same type of system could be used to upload passports.

Advertisement