Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teenagers no lights

Options
  • 11-12-2022 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

last couple of weeks amount of teenagers going home 5 ish without any high vis or any lights is nuts , do schools not teach how important lights are any more ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Yeah we teach it in bike safety class. My school runs two classes a week in it. Unfortunately it's an optional subject, so I'd say the kids you're seeing took home ec. instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Surely this isn't on the schools, is it not the responsibility of the parents? My two cycling age kids are 8 and 4 and they have lights on their bikes - I wouldn't let them out the door without them and I'll be following that up when they're teenagers too.

Defo there is a trend of boys on black Fiido bikes, in black duffle coats with no lights over the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Cough, cough, cough... I don't wish to derail the thread but when I was a 'teenagent' back in the 80's my bike dint'even have brakes!!!

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

They can't teach common sense in school. And sure, if they're hit by a car, there's a nice little claim going for them after taking zero responsibility for their safety. It's not just teenagers either. Plenty of fully grown men and women cycling in all black, no lights at all.

Not sure if it's any better than the cyclists with the flashing lights bright enough to burn your eyes out!!! We really need enforceable laws and regulation for this lack of, or dangerously bright lights.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Got it,

Minors should take responsibility for if they get killed and motorists who drive 2 tonne metal boxes at speed shouldn't take responsibility for vulnerable road users they hit.

Oh and bike lights can be too bright or not bright enough but car lights are grand and dark coloured cars are grand,

🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,819 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Road deaths in Ireland in the 1980s

1981 572

1982 533

1983 535

1984 465

1985 410

1986 387

1987 462

1988 463

1989 460

Road deaths in Ireland in the 2010s (keep in mind there are over twice as many cars as there were in the 80s)

2010 212

2011 186

2012 163

2013 188

2014 192

2015 162

2016 182

2017 155

2018 137

2019 140

2020 147

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭CoBo55

No that isn't what he meant. It's the cyclist's responsibility to have lights and make themselves as visible as possible by wearing hi-viz etc, as was pointed out earlier with young children it's the responsibility of the parents to make sure this is done. I'd prefer to see a too bright light than a person in black mashed against my windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I don't think it was possible for you to ram anymore horse sh!t into your reply than you managed. Well done to you 😂

Minors should be made to be responsible for their safety when using roads also used by 2 tonne metal boxes. My kids cycle to school and I make damn sure they have lights, helmets and hi-viz on. At the very least, these teenagers need to make an effort at being seen by the operators of these metal boxes. This means appropriate front and rear lights (powered on) and a high-viz covering. Cyclists wearing clothing the same colour as the road are far more likely to be struck by a metal box and dare I say it, to strike a parked metal box if they are that careless.

This thread is about cyclists (specifically teeenage cyclists) with no light. If you want to open a thread about car lights and colours, please feel free to do that rather than derail the thread with irrelevant nonsense in an effort to score a few "cyclists good, motorists bad" likes.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 34,819 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Actually in all situations it's the driver of the car that's responsible for not crashing into cyclists, pedestrians or anything else. Doesn't actually matter how luminescent they are.

Yes, cyclists should all wear high vis / have lights and are idiots for cycling around in the dark without, but ultimately they are not the one operating the 2 tonne metal box than can kill people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

teenagers do stupid stuff, like running in front of traffic, not wearing bikes on lights etc. drive slower in residential areas where you're likely to come across teenagers at night and try to be more aware of your surroundings. don't look at your phone for one.

• Advertisement

I do not understand why cyclists get so offended at the suggestion that they should wear high vis. And don't get me started on the fools zipping around on e-scooters.

There is no comparison between a cyclist in dark clothing, and a dark car. For one, a cyclist is much narrower. For two, a dark car will have great big red or white lights on them, depending on what direction you're facing.

If you want to compare this to some bike lights I've seen which appear to be not much bigger than a cigarette packet, and you expect that is going to stand out amongst all the red lights on the road on a dark night and be enough by itself to protect you, then with all due respect, you're being foolish.

Wear the damn high viz.

never have never will. i must be the only person who doesn't have issues seeing people walking or cycling or any other things when i'm driving. lights are sufficient for bikes in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This thread is about cyclists (specifically teeenage cyclists) with no light. If you want to open a thread about car lights and colours, please feel free to do that rather than derail the thread with irrelevant nonsense in an effort to score a few "cyclists good, motorists bad" likes.

mod note: if you want to police the thread, ask a mod to do it, it's not your job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one thing i will say, is that some standardisation/regulation of lights would be welcome. even standardisation of mounts, so if your light was stolen or broken, you wouldn't have to change the mount too when replacing it.

isn't nearly every light used by cyclists now against the national regs, because the regs stipulate the surface area of the light and not brightness?

we have a megathread about hi-vis, best take that there. because we generally tend to send all debate about hi-vis to it anyway.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057136508/hi-vis-discussion-thread-read-post-1/p93

Then on your own head be it. I hope some day you don't end up in an accident because you neglected to make yourself as visible as possible on the road, especially after dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

iirc the regs are 2 inch surface area, and light visible x yards away. So yes, I'd say every modern led light (including those given out by the gardai as part of "road safety" initiatives are technically in breach of the legislation).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So you are upset motorcyclists don't wear hi viz? 😂

Plenty of cars drive in stealth mode in the evenings with no lights on, visibility could easily be improved by cars being in hi viz colours.I don't understand why motorists get so offended when its suggested cars should be in hiz viz colours, they travel at speed, its important people see them.

Safety should be the priority for any car owner.

I don't wear hi viz when cycling, if a motorist can't see my bike they are beyond blind and shouldn't be on the road.

As for teenagers on bikes with no lights, the real reason this is a problem is mostly the wrong types of bikes are sold in shops. Most places sell mountain bikes which are simply not practical when it comes to lights, mudguards etc. They are SUV's of the bike world, vast majority don't need them and they actually only make cycling harder due to size, weight and tyre width.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I too have no issue seeing people, cyclists, animals, or even road detritus when travelling on roads at suitable speeds with my headlights on. The only time I've recently cursed a cyclist was one who passed me on the inside whilst I was attempting a turn and was invisible due to the complete lack of a front light (in fog).

• Advertisement

Should safety not be the priority for everyone on the road? Cyclists included?

Yes in my opinion motorcyclists should wear high viz too, and most I see do. I wear a high viz sleeve myself when out walking after dark. I have a collar with high viz on my pet so they can be better seen in the dark!

As I said, I don't understand the resistance to taking such a simple measure. It just seems like taking a petty stand and cutting your nose of to spite your own face, and if an accident does occur, whose going to come off worst?

But following mod instruction, (post 16) I'll leave it there.

thanks so much for your concern. i suggest you drive slower and put your phone in the glove compartment when driving too especially at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,286 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

not just teens although it’s most a teen issue.

Safety on our roads is a culture thing. Enabling that culture is the responsibility of cyclists and motorists and indeed pedestrians. All Road users.

if you want to participate in enabling a safer culture on our roads for drivers, cyclists and indeed pedestrians…..part of that is lighting up, being visible. It’s for this reason the RSA are still having to advocate ‘be safe be seen’ and have a campaign to do so… if some in the cycling community want to moan about everyone else and demand better road safety.. they need to realise they have a responsibility themselves in that regard too…

From RSA.ie….. “Cyclists are reminded that at night you must a have a white light to the front and a red light to the back on your bicycle. These are the minimum lighting requirements laid down by law. However, to be even more visible to motorists at night, you should consider wearing a reflective armband, ‘Sam Browne’ reflective belt or reflective vest.”

but according to some cyclists… ‘ drivers should just be more careful ‘…..? no, yesterday in the fog, around dusk too…I observed cyclists without a single light and without illuminative clothing….many of course were compliant helping and enabling that culture of safe roads for everyone…hi vis, lights etc…

Hi vis vest costs about 5 euros. Get them anywhere.

USB rechargeable front and rear light 21.50 in Halfords.

26.50…. so it can’t be the money that is stopping people…. There really isn’t an excuse.

What's with the aggressive tone and smart remarks? Was I uncivil to you? You know nothing about me, or my driving habits, so quit it with the attitude. You don't need to be so rude. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

It's dangerous, drivers can't see them until they're on top of them. Yellow jackets with reflective strips should be obligatory in dull and dark conditions. For pedestrians, too.

I find it's even worse in the rain, with street and car lights reflected off wet surfaces it can be very difficult to see people in dark coats. I came close to running down two girls crossing the road a few years back in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

And will you be keeping a builders vest on your passenger seat, so you can pull it on when you get out of the car to go to the shop/cafe/wherever? You know, for when you're a pedestrian?

I'm not sure of the point of this thread anyway. How many of the teenagers with no lights on their bikes does the OP think will be reading this thread?

oh for f**ks sake. high vis should be obligatory for pedestrians. how about reducing speed limits to 20km/h for cars when conditions are bad?

any more ad hominem like this and you'll be taking a holiday from this thread.

pointless thread anyway we already have the hi viz one for people to give out about cyclists

• Advertisement

Clearly all clothing should be hi viz in order for this to happen, we can't have drivers slowing down...don't be silly

Advertisement