Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Luton would disagree for example

Other airports that designate a parallel taxiway for deicing make it work. Some mix it up, with some de-icing done at the gate and some on the taxiway. Depending on who your handler is and how long you’ll be waiting, you plan accordingly. And even a foolish ACC ATCO like me knows the closer to departure you do the de-icing, the less chance of delays meaning the aircraft needs another go.

Post edited by HTCOne on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

What incompetence has the new runway closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

EK seems to have landed at 1114 and just got on stand now - ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

I didn’t say it was impossible, it just isn’t the ideal solution for Dublin. LLA has their workflows better organised, for example they Pool their GSE. Therefore making it easier to have all de-overs working together to de-ice in a remote area. In fact LLA for a long time de-iced on the south stands.

My point was that at least 4 main handling agents trying to de-ice their customers on parallel taxiways isn’t going to be as efficient as one main company on a de-ice pad. Where would you have parallels for 28R departures or 28L departures or 16 or 34 or 10L that didn’t restrict traffic flows ?

There is no one size fits all solution for Dublin. At the moment on stand suits best as it has least impact on airfield operations. Now if only the airlines would resource it better and it would be cheaper. Also try telling the main customer they have to pay for new taxiways and new equipment, best of luck with that one.

• Advertisement

I haven't seen any public explanation but I don't think they ever sweep and deice the whole airfield in these conditions. Keeping a core proportion of the runways, taxiway, ramp and roadways fully available may be the preferred approach. Also, if the new runway was swept, the various related taxiways, including those that might be used if an aircraft aborted takeoff, would also have to be kept clear.

Post edited by EchoIndia on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

-8 in Zurich this morning, my flight left on time, not a bother with it. Relevant parts of the airfield and the runway clear of snow and ice.

-2 in Amsterdam. Remote de-icing area, three areas for aircraft with two de-icers each.

Arriving in Ireland, diverted to Shannon due to fog in Cork because they don't have CAT3 runway. Utter hell in Dublin by the sounds of it. We just can't do things right here, when all over Europe doing it right is the norm.

The DAA's publicly available capital proposals "Capital Investment Programme 2020+" include a deicing pad at runway 10R and also a possible pad on the North Apron. In relation to 10R, it states

"It is proposed to build a purpose-built de-icing facility with the previously approved PACE Runway 10 Line Up Points project. This project will deliver an additional Runway line-up point, bypass taxiway and associated infrastructure." Fuller details are in the DAA submission to the regulator. As the envisaged timeline for provision of this facility was 2022/3, its current status is unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

Priority has been given to apron works to get that side of the house in order. Expect other airfield works to resume once the link taxiways and parallel taxiways are completed in H2 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭cml387

I just wonder how many airports in Europe serving cities with the same population as Cork have CAT III runways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

That would depend on the incidence of fog as much as on the size of the airport or city.

There are 2 pieces in to-days Irish Times about the noise "crisis" at DUB with the North Runway in operation (one of the pieces is behind a paywall. It seems that Fingal Council are taking a hard line (local politicians looking for a cause?). The IT seems to be very uncritical in it reporting of the affair.

One prize quote from a local resident: “They are down so low that I felt like we could literally hit a golf ball and hit the bottom of them" 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I pointed this out when the runway first opened. The departure paths aircraft are taking are not in compliance with the planning permission granted. None of the thousands of pages of documents suggested the aircraft would fly north straight after takeoff. A slight right turn yes but not immediately north. It's utter incompetence and a serious lack of communication between the IAA, DAA and Fingal CC in regards to planning.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41026244.html

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The golf ball comment comes from someone living eight km from the airport 🙄

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Some other quotes:

"One person complained the level of noise over their home is “horrendous and unacceptable” while another individual said their family is being woken up by aircraft early in the morning and were prevented from sleeping until late at night."

"A different email also suggested the flight paths have changed and complained that “residents are living in what sounds like a war zone area”."

"Another said aircraft are “too loud 60km from Dublin Airport”, suggesting that people in towns and villages in Co Meath are “going to suffer” from aircraft descending too low over residential areas."

While the fact of overflying aircraft cannot be disputed, the IT seems to be reflecting a fairly one-sided view of the matter. Other communities in the greater Dublin area have long experienced aircraft noise, including when aircraft were a lot noisier than they are now. With the opening of the new runway, they are getting a degree of relief from overflying traffic. Any modification of the SIDs that are currently in place seems likely to redirect the noise elsewhere - so there would be winners and losers in such a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Frequent enough in Cork to be annoying, albeit maybe not "a problem". I was surprised when they did the runway overlay that they didn't make it Cat III, but then I have absolutely no idea what has to be done to upgrade it. Is the runway even long enough, that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

They're all nonsensical complaints but too loud 60km from Dublin airport made me laugh out loud in particular. Not sure where they expect to put an airport with nobody living within 60km of it - somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Would love to know how the North Runway is keeping people awake early in the morning and late at night when it's not in use at those times?

Also a guy on the Irish Times video said planes are coming over every 30 seconds... 🙄

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Seeing some of the comments are nonsense. These are just jumping on the moan a minute bandwagon. The amount of inaccuracies in their comments means they should be dismissed out of hand.

It’s a rural area beside the biggest transport hub in the island. Where do they want them to head?

Are IT journalists not trained (a) to inform themselves of some of the technical issues and (b) to question some of the more ridiculous points made by protesters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Journalism 101…. Don’t let facts get in the way of a good story! Their only goal is to sell column inches!

We have very few journalists left IMO. It’s just copy paste, no verification. Click bait, headline grabbing sensationalism for the most part.

Hitting golf balls and 60km away, 30 second gaps says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

If anyone ever wants to become really horrified at the state of modern journalism get a job in PR or communications. After you're familiar with the industry you'll start to notice just how much content (and content in respected publications like the Irish Times at that, not joe.ie) is literally just press releases with a few words changed to match the writing style guide of the publication.

90% of the modern journalism industry doesn't have the budget, or expertise, to investigate and fact check any more unfortunately. Which usually goes unnoticed, but becomes glaringly obvious when they run articles about something technical, or relating to a field that you have personal experience - ie aviation and people on this forum in this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭prunudo

The fact they call it a crisis says everything you need to know about the direction the article would take.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

Some are nonsense, some are not. The 60km guy can skedaddle.

The 1-2km folk with the illegal right turn, they are genuinely suffering.

The nature of much of the Irish countryside is that there are houses dotted all over. I think it's going to be hard to plot safe routeings that don't overfly someone.

Yet another downside to our toleration of so much one-off rural housing. Reminds me of the problems in locating wind turbines and high-voltage power lines.

If they go straight on and make 28L divert to the left, that would have a huge effect on a far far greater population to the South of the airport. If they divert 15 degrees on 28R as per the original guides, they will still be blasting over houses and quite possibly even a more populated area than the current early right turn, which actually goes over a very rural part of Dublin. With a new runway there will be always be winners and losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Wait till they start taking off on 10L….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

I live about 10km from it and the noise from the "heavies" is horrendous, and we're well used to aircraft noise here - mostly incoming traffic to 16. You have to compare it with levels of existing background noise and when 16 is in use, it tends to be windy with lots of background noise anyway. I just can't imagine what it must be like closer to the airfield now in calm conditions.

I've observed Heathrow and it's nothing like this. I've even seen departing aircraft turn towards the other runway there on occasion, and nothing ever like this bizarre manouver.

Advertisement