Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

My main breaker is 80a and in the esb box outside I see 60/80A on that big gray thing.

Is 63a default for the older houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,916 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The problem with the showers is less likely to be PV limited and more inverter+battery limited.

So you can have 15kWp PV available but if you're only generating 0-5kW lets say (most showers are morning or evening), where does the other 5-10kW come from if your inverter(s) and/or batteries can only give 5kW-10kW total.

This is why I'm looking at the likes of Victron Quattro 15kva.

63 is default full stop in Ireland. That's 12kVa.

16kVa is a cheap upgrade, that's 80a.

20kva is also possible/100a but you have more to pay there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

"16kVa is a cheap upgrade, that's 80a"

Is that just a form to be filled out? Anyone done this?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I'll still be generating 10kWh into the early evening and additional 3-4kWh from the Batteries on demand, time will tell though as CY2023 will be the first full year up and running

• Advertisement

€1,924 (with conditions), yikes, not short change

It's a form to be filled out and a site inspection (to make sure you have a 63/80 setup and not just 63)

I had them out and was all set to go forward, but they put that it had to be a smart meter too, so that's canceled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I've an 80A fuse in the ESB box for a 16kVA connection, and a 63A in the CU. I'm guessing the electrical wholesalers ran out of 80A fuses the day my house was being wired 🙄

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

When I got it done it was about 1300, technically mine was 8kva on 10mm2 tails!

Flat fee, for esb, I was upgrading the consumer unit too (screw in fuses, No RCD, Needed extra power for the farmyard.)

need 25mm2 tails for 16kva.

AFAIK on 16kva, its 100 amp in the ESB Head, but 80 in the consumer unit (well mines in a ip67 consumer unit as its at least 5+ meters from the meter box to the consumer unit.)

80 amp on the esb head and 63 in the consumer unit for the 12kva.

I'm just going on what the esb guy told me, They didnt have to do anything to my direct supply but took the opportunity to change the pole down the road at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

My moving 7 day average on the heat pump has rocketed up to around 38 kWh over the last few days....yesterday alone the 12th I put 58 kWh into the heat pump eek! that has been by far my most expensive day....had builders in the house yesterday and they kept leaving the door open on the coldest day of the year (or the coldest day since 2010 according to Met Eireann)3! so had a big impact. I kinda wanted to see how it performed and left some room temp settings maybe a bit too high...but listen we rarely get days like that..

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement

Electrician due tomorrow, must run this by him, but at €2k I'm not ecstatic, much rather put €2k to more efficient hot cylinder setup

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They can feck off with their €2k. I'd also much rather upgrade my equipment. For €2k you'd have 15kWh of batteries. Or a very serious inverter upgrade or doubling up. Or a ton of extra PV panels. 15kW O'clock for 9 hours will do me just fine.

Of course the game would change if we are eventually forced onto a smart meter and the off peak rate period shrinks to just a few hours...

Yes. The way I see it, 5 years from now say, there's either two options. 1 - increase MIC (and MEC) by paying for 16kva upgrade and or 3 phase. This will allow you to take advantage of the 4 hour boost tariffs in the same way we do now for 9 hours. 2 - spend that money on making your system off grid. 3- pay through the nose on smart tariffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Don't forget though that they run 110v albeit most of them have 2 phases going into their gaffs, so their 200A at 110v isn't that much more .... and they have AC to contend with usually.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

And three phase isn't that simple either, there's gotchas there too, trying to balance the phases, inverters putting out the same current to each phase etc.

Right pain in the hole.

Increasing your mec.. you'll need the nc7 and that's a another 1.5k isn't it?

Strictly speaking they run 180 degree split phase 220-240v, to the breaker, and have either 110-120v and or 220-240v circuits off the breaker. I'd much much much prefer the US spec to what we have here. Despite the weird setup with hot wires etc that goes with split phases. It's a lot easier to get to higher power stuff in the US

Three phase adds lots of complexity, yes, you need to balance the phases. Lots of losses etc.

Updating the MEC can only be done after updating the MIC (your MEC cannot be greater than your MIC) and it's 900quid+vat to apply for NC7 - which allows a max of 17kW I believe.

My ESB fuse has the same 80/60A marking, but I'm 90% sure the new connection letter said 16kVA

80A should be enough for 18kW so maybe they were using 80A fuses and decided to switch to 100A at some point in the past few years 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Yes, I have a 16kVA connection and the ESB fuse is a 100A fuse, but my consumer board has an 80Amp fuse.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Power flicker in my estate. Seems like I may have a chance to put my changeover switch into actual use... not that I wish for it. 😬 especially with a temperamental battery

• Advertisement

Power flicker here too. Two of them in fact, very close to each other. Tiny minor thing though, wife didn't even notice. Thought I was imagining things. I'm in Lucan, where are you, @silver_sky?

Grid demand nowhere near as much as the peak yesterday and also there is a good chunk of wind at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭paulbok

3rd brownout here in a week. power went for around 3 seconds. checked with a neighbour no not just us.

I'm up in Balbriggan. My wife noticed and thought it was me playing with homeassistant again. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It won’t stop at €2k. That only covers ESB, you’ll more than likely have electrician work too (upgrade tails, upgrade consumer unit, testing, sign off etc), all of which is your responsibility and has to be done before ESB will upgrade your fuse.

That really is a load of bollix, fiscal ESB controlling, pay €2k for power upgrade, then pay for NC7 and it’s possible capital requirement, don’t mind paying an electrician

Are you on the same line as Lusk? They've been getting a lot of power cuts recently from the line going down

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

There’s no guarantee that smart tariffs will go like that. At the minute there isnt too many giving out about them as it’s only people on 24 hour meters moving to smart meters.

when we come off day night meters they wont be able to shove crazy smart tariffs on us as the heat pumps were chosen based on those night rates. Yep I think we’ll lose out but not to the degree set out above.

If it does come to pass as you suggest however we might all be better having a container of calb cells sent over and have battery building weekend parties in each others houses. Or just burn the heat pumps for heat

Post edited by redmagic68 on

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

@redmagic68 - "If it does come to pass as you suggest however we might all be better having a container of calb cells sent over and have battery building weekend parties in each others houses. "

Yes. But hopefully our smart meters are still a few years away and buy then we can have a low cost V2H solution available to us. I know someone (in Ireland) who is working on a commercially available solution for this right now. If you have a 50-60kWh EV sitting in your drive, you need a lot less of a home attached battery.

There was a map here before with the transmission network but I can't find it. I think Balbriggan is fed from the same source station as Lusk but if they have issues it doesn't mean we will. This is the first I've seen in easily a year I'd say.

It's a bigger area up here with some more industry and there's also a battery system located here too. An 8.5MWh system owned by RWE. It's a surprisingly small facility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Ohh I know it well mate......but you get into all other kind of issues that certain power outlets can't power heavy duty loads and that if you want to move things around in the house (like moving a tumble dryer etc) that you may not be able to do that without potentially re-wiring circuits (behind walls etc) back to the fuseboard. They have different plugs too don't they etc. I can see both sides, and while that split phase system does have some flexibility, I think all the house at 220v is marginally better. Obviously it works well, as you have 350 million people living with it in the US - but it does seem more of a afterthought introduced in the 50's and 60's when they started to realize that a single phase of 110v wasn't enough for your average house.

We in Europe decided 220v was the way to go as we're cheap gits and didn't want to spend money on copper (thicker wires)

Advertisement