Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Benched 85% of my all time 1RM today, with a straight bar, with no pain at all. Then broadly similar numbers on overhead press.

A reasonably big deal, as for the past 2 years I've had enough shoulder pain I was using specialty bars and DBs and though my straight bar days were done. It wasn't getting any better during that period.

I've been doing Joe DeFranco programming for the last 3 months and although there are elements of it I don't enjoy or really understand, my shoulders feel like they have had a rebuild. Have to give him the sole credit as I didn't do anything else differently.

Remarkable, I have to resist the urge to just go back to what I was doing before, and try to retain at least some of his approach to keep this going.

The straight bar is now probably something I will cycle in and out rather than stick on, but I'm pretty happy if that's what it is going forward.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Cill94

Great to hear. His programmes are very shoulder heavy from what I hear, so I'd guess it built up your capacity. That's how I got back to benching with minimal pain too - attacking the shoulder fragility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭JayRoc

There's a lot to be said for an absolute geansai-load of band pullaparts every day. Like "drink more water" or "get more sleep" , it's advice that's almost always gonna do good...

What I was doing had 100 pullaparts on push day, but a huge amount of shoulder, rear delt and general upper back work in general, that probably helped. And a lot of pec stretching. I suspect these days most of his online clientele are the 40 plus crowd like me so jacked up shoulders all round and when you go to Joe DeFranco I think he knows people expect to be getting some relief.

That being said he also had us doing a lot of pushups, 200+ per week, on top of benching and DB benching as main push movements.

So the rehab and prehab is there but he's not exactly letting you off pushing at the same time. Albeit towards the end a lot of floor pressing came in as a bit of a break.

For anyone interested, the next few weeks of my programming from Joe DeFranco arrived today.

There's still a lot of work on shoulders and upper back but this is a hypertrophy block where he's obviously decided to really focus on eccentric training. For example, straight bar bench is the main lift on upper body day 1, and he's programmed a 6 second eccentric. Chin ups with a 6-10 second eccentric feature elsewhere.

A lot of the "free" content from DeFranco that he is still known for, like WS4SB and its spin-offs, going back to the T-Nation days, is still similar to what he programmes these days in terms of overall schemes and exercise selection, but his programming today has more of a longevity focus, there is a less "red meat" in terms of straightforward max effort or straight sets with a heavy weight.

There's always a few straight sets in a day's programming, but on quite a few lifts he'll have some kind of modifier in there that seems almost designed to limit the amount of weight you'd use. The long eccentric is an example, but he'll also throw in things like iso holds in various positions, in a superseth with a complementary movement, or he'll add band resistance to something like a lateral raise, or just programme very high reps with them. That's aside from obvious things like cycling in speciality bars versus straight bars, putting in a lot of prehab movements alongside lifts, and doing some limited ROM movements like floor presses and spoto presses to save shoulders.

I think it's fair to say that this isn't better for either top end strength or hypertrophy, however, and although DeFranco doesn't shout that from the rooftoops I would guess he trains younger lifters differently in his facility.

It feels incredibly hard when you're doing it, especially the higher rep sets and iso holds, but I think the science is pretty clear that for either top end strength or hypertrophy most people would be better off doing more moderate reps with heavy weights for straight sets, if they are able.

• Advertisement

That being said he also had us doing a lot of pushups, 200+ per week, on top of benching and DB benching as main push movements.

I think this part is key. The best way I've found of overcoming joint pain is doing that movement but lighter, and building the reps. Push-ups for example are essentially a light bench press for you.

I used to not be able to do dips. Was my number 1 no-go for my shoulder. Followed all the 'do loads of upper back, 100 band pull aparts etc' advice and it made ZERO difference. Could still barely lower halfway into a dip without pain.

Then one day I had the bright idea to do them band assisted with a stupidly thick band. My rule was I couldn't drop to the next thinnest band until I could do 20 perfectly strict, full ROM reps, with zero pain. Worked like a charm, and now I've done 20+kg weighted dips with no prob, and my shoulders are generally much healthier for it.

What I've learned is that if something hurts, you're eventually going to have to target that specific area, and not just all the supporting parts around it.

Here's a tweak on doing a rest pause set I picked up lately, works well.

A lot of people overshoot their goal reps with rest pause sets by going too light. Particularly as they are trying to push the intensity also.

You want to warm up with 1-2 sets and plan for your working weight to be one where you can JUST get 7 or so.

If on your work set you feel like, at rep 4-5 you are CLEARLY going to end up with more than 7 reps then stop, rest, increase the weight and try again.

Typically the rest pause sets should look like 7..rest 20 seconds... 4... rest 20 seconds... 3 etc.

Whereas a lot of people aim to do 15-20 total reps but if you first part of the set gets 10+ you're going to overshoot and have gone too light.

I've found the 7 rep guide for the first part of the set keeps me much more in the ballpark of a total of 15 or so total reps on the rest pause sets. If I get 15 or more then next time the weight goes up. If not, add reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

thats intersting, last week I decided to give one set to "failure" a go, it worked well on my main lifts, I sorta gauged it for 8 and was doing pause rep for the set too. I totally overshot on all the upper pulling exercises but can tweak going forward.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I'm listening to Jordan Peters' "educational" series on YouTube.

(No, Jordan Peters the retired English bodybuilder, not Jordan Peterson the widely-hated writer and public intellectual...!)

Jordan Peters ( Trained by JP / TbJP is his business name) was an absolutely massive "mass monster" bodybuilder that quit the sport around last year. I think we was successful enough but I don't really know, all I can say is that if you look at his competition photos he was incredibly large and dense. Quite open about gear usage but now against it or in favour of minimal usage.

The reason I'm interested in him is that he is openly an acolyte of the Dorian Yates, Dante Trudel school of training. Fairly low volume, moderate frequency, and very high intensity.

Anyway, I've been reading Dante Trudel's posts and tried his DoggCrapp program in the past, but until now I never really engaged with Jordan Peters' take on a broadly similar approach to training.

They're interesting videos, he discusses how he sets up a fully body routine, an upper-lower and a push-pull-legs.

Quite LONG workouts, easily 60-90 minutes, which is a bit counter intuitive for high intensity training, but it comes down to him programming a high number of exercises even though he might have only 1-2 work sets for each.

Where he programmes two work sets, the first will be for low reps and the second will be a higher rep back off set.

All work sets to failure... No RIR here.

If you're into programming, worth a listen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Interesting alright.

But serious question: can these programs work for a natural lifter, it was always my assumption they don’t.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Jordan Peters' programs specifically involve quite long workouts. His full body routine would have you do 12 movements, warm ups plus one top set. Upper / lower is 9 movements on the upper and warm ups plus 2 work sets. It would take me 90 minutes sessions to do any of that and I would have be to be really on it.

I feel like moreso than it being a question of gear it's still more to individual recovery abilities and age. That would be the line most of these guys would take I think.

Dorian and Dante programmed less volume, shorter workouts.

TBH whether 1-2 really hard work sets are enough for a natural lifer, over months of beating the log book I think in theory yes. And with Peters, Dorian, Dante body parts do get hit a couple times a week too. But I think it has to be used by someone who is strong enough and experienced enough to really have the ability to do a crushing work set.

I tried DoggCrapp for about 5 months and my upper body responded really well, felt like the lower regressed.

I still never did John Meadows Warlock. I'd have concerns about recovery on that one too, again more down to duration.

I've not taken gear, or ever trained someone on it. But I have heard many a coach and lifter experienced in it say that the idea that there are 'natural' and 'enhanced' specific programmes is nonsense.

It makes sense really. The same principles of successful training apply, you're just getting more gains out of the training when you're on something. You recover faster but you also are handling bigger weights, so I'd think that aspect of it balances itself out.

This topic covered more in depth here:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The ability to recover faster could the main deciding factor whether to a program works or not.

I remember there was a guy doing live updates on his smolov-deadlift attempt. That is absolutely a routine where enhanced recover is a prerequisite.

But acknowledge that’s a ridiculous outlier program.

Haven’t watched the video, will do so later.

But it’s not the lifting that needs to be different, it’s the recovery phases. PEDs allow a lifter to train longer and recover quicker. So programming test has to be different.

they/them/theirs

I can see how volume, frequency and duration of the workout have to be a consideration for naturals.

Is the gulf so wide though, I guess I wouldn't know but aside from what Cilian linked to I know the likes of JP and Meadows claimed it wasn't, that it still came down to the individual situation.

Have to believe age and other stress is huge too, for anyone. To be 20-25 again.... What i wouldnt give... Just in training terms.

But I think some of the higher volume programmes out there with higher RPE work might be as hard or harder to recover from than the lower volume higher intensity style.

It could be argued both ways I guess.

I'm doing low to moderate volume these days. I feel like now I know in in my bones I am done after about an hour in the gym, I'm zonked at that point. The fewer sets on a movement the better I will execute. To me 3 plus sets has to have a clear reason these days.

That’s a good point about age. It’s even more of a moderating factor for natural lifters.

I’ll be honest - I’m 44 and feel fecked after lifting so I’ve scaled right back. I’m cycling 5 days a week to work and training a football team so the lifting sessions are a killer. Even in the breaks from football I can’t lift anything close to what I could 10 years ago.

It’s upsetting.

they/them/theirs

I have the same experience right now Brian... Early 40s.. Cycling to work sometimes, do a bit of GAA coaching, train BJJ 1-2 times a week... That's not even getting into work, having young kids etc... What I have left in the tank for gym sessions I have to be very realistic about.

A few months ago I tried to do a 5 day bodypart split because I thought it might actually be easier to recover from, but I had to ditch it - not only was it not any easier, the high frequency was just a pain in the arse.

Right now I am lifting 3 days a week, 2 upper, 1 lower, and I think that is probably the most realistic for me from a scheduling point of view AND a recovery point of view. Full body would work too but I'm not doing my own programming and I just go with the flow.

In the past I have done 4 days for a considerable period, everything from conjugate upper/lower to Push/Pull/Legs/Full body, but at the moment 3 days feels more do-able, especially to fit in the BJJ. I think the only reason I was able to do 4 is just that I'm acclimatised to it from years, I'm used to only having a couple of rest days a week at most.

I think the argument that people make is that while you technically recover better, that also allows means you're handling much more challenging weights, which ends up taxing recovery a lot.

So I don't think it's the case that enhanced lifters can necessarily afford to train with significantly different approaches i.e. the Peters training to failure thing. I know many naturals who do that week in and week out. If anything, maybe it's easier to recover from training to failure when you're natty benching 120 vs a steroid user benching say, 150?

I know for strength, most powerlifters for example train 3-5 days per week regardless of drugs (from what I can tell anyway).

I've been doing an adductor movement once a week in my lower body day for a couple months now.

I started with copenhagen planks in my warm up, then longer copenhagen planks as part of a superset in the workout, then to copenhagen hip lifts for reps.

If you haven't been training them they're an eye opener.

I've considered doing something like this. I've nearly hurt my groin a couple times in the gym from plate related incidents (tripping on them mainly) so would be good to do some stuff like this from time to time. Best I've used is the 'yes/no' machine 😶..

• Advertisement

If I had that machine I would use it, but the copenhagen progression also does feel like it works.

I've also tried using a cuff and a cable stack, leg adduction type movements, but.... in hindsight... whatever was working it was not the target area. I think the supporting leg was doing more work just keeping my standing in the right position and not being pulled away.

Been hitting my protein targets consistently for about three weeks now. I have just gone all in on making a concerted effort. This shouldn't be comment worthy but I've been very spotty about it for the last year or so at least I would say. Also a spoon of creatine once per day for health reasons.

I can't find any basis for this, but I've seen it cited that keeping your protein intake high can increase your enthusiasm for training sessions. Anecdotally this is the case with me, I haven't been feeling flat going into the gym since I started this. Or at least not as much as I was previously.

The only thing I've had to manage is when I take the whey if I don't want to ruin my appetite for ordinary meals.

Admittedly there are other things going on as well, I am probably training for no longer than 45 minutes max at the moment, and I really like that.

Yes/no machine? Never heard of that, but guessing its the Abductor/Adductor machine?

If that one a lot for stretching abductors. Load a reasonable weight and relax into is, until you stretch end of range, then deload and repeat. At the point now when I need a way to increase ROM and go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭JayRoc

The "Good Girl/Bad Girl" machine was what it used to be called :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ill never be able to look at that machine again in the same way

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

That's the one. They don't have one in my gym unfortunately.

Familiar with that name for it alright. 😂

Well I only use it for stretching abductors. So kinda ditched the good girl part

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

I seem to have developed golfers/tennis elbow. Cant really do any pull ups etc without pain at the moment. Anyone know if a physio is needed to fix this?

If you give fully supinated curls and chins a break for several weeks, and do pronated movements instead it should settle down to the point that you can reintroduce semi supinated and eventually fully supinated movements as well.

The mistake people make is continuing to train through the pain and never give their elbow a chance to settle down. Reducing volume or weight may not be enough, it's better to see it as a chance to work on fully pronated movements for a while and make progress there.

A few days of ibuprofen would do no harm as well.

If you train I think this is one of the most common and most solvable things that crops up, don't sweat it.

Dorian Yates is doing a seminar in Dublin and a seminar in Wexford ... 8th and 9th of April. Seems to be a hands on event where he goes through a push pull legs set up. And Q and A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

cheers, this seems to have done the job. Took two weeks off pulling exercises and have since gone back to just pronated movements and its almost cleared itself up. Still gets a bit annoyed at neutral grip exercises but its improved massively

Advertisement