Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Depends on your other expenses, mortgage, young kids, pints at weekends, holidays, partner working or not working

I know some people that spend an extraordinary amount on cars but wouldnt be big on holidays etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

That would be your choice obviously. But surely you'd be prepared to pay extra tax for a Tesla Plaid so you could experience warp speed on the daily grind. Seems to me people have no particular issue paying a shed load of VRT to experience the thrills of driving larger, sportier ICEs but rail against any suggestion that equivalent EVs be taxed similarly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Or perhaps we have a bit more awareness that the kWh size of battery isn't a great metric for either the performance, efficiency or impact of said EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

SSo a 90kWh etron would be taxed less than a 100kWh model S, despite the latter being twice as efficienct as the former. BS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

I'd imagine power output will become a factor. Say 200hp equivalent KW (Average family Ioniq 5 ish level) will be around €350 per year with bands above and below. I can't see any arguement really against paying €1 per day motor tax for the private transport for the average family needs. Road usages will be in addition to that and weighted against ICE if they do come in.

The potential issue with road usage will be how its managed for business uses, delivery drivers, trucks, taxis etc so while in simplistic terms it sounds good but the knock on cost implications and admin costs could be an issue that make a simpler motor tax based system easier to start with.

Sorry for upsetting you. Its only a suggestion. I know the current emissions based system has set such a high bar for perfection that it is difficult to conceive of a alternative system to replace it. Alternatively EV drivers may think that because they are an essential cog in the save thethey should be compensated for

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There needs to be a correlation to efficiency, every EV has an efficiency factor so that could be the basis for taxation. Is this not pointless debate though, we're years away from a motor tax overhaul...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Damn phone .. hit post in error! Why, oh why cant posts be edited like in the good auld days. Maybe technology is just not for me.

Last sentence should read .. alternatively EV drivers may think that because they are an essential cog in the save the world wheel, they should be compensated for sacrificing themselves for the betterment of mankind. But in fairness that would just be silly so it must be the first reason

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The only person making claims of EV owner exceptionalism on this thread is you.

The EV owners on the thread are making sensible suggestions that a simplistic system of kWh battery doesn't work because it results in higher taxation of cars with better efficiency and longer range. Similarly, a simple system of motor power output (similar to the old CC system) wouldn't work because performance is a function of power to weight rather than just power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Taxation on fuel was always the most equitable way. The polluter pays. This was never implemented though as the politicians didn't have the balls to do it.That horse has bolted now, you can't tax electricity in the same way as there's no way of finding out what the electricity in people's houses was used for. So there are two options:

1. just forgo the tax that is currently coming in from excise duty on fuel and emissions based motor tax and VRT and make up from it from elsewhere. This is pretty much what happened in 2008 when VRT and motor tax moved to an emission system. The loss to the exchequer was huge (billions per year), but was never replaced by another tax on motoring
    2. tax cars (as @liamog has rightly said, cars in general, not EVs in particular) in another way, probably per km driven. This is not easy to implement, many years away but by far the most likely and reasonably equitable option. Other countries in the EU have already committed to this. This works long term too as electricity is likely to become extremely cheap in a few decades, so very little point taxing it. Some people even say electricity will be free! 😍

I get it people don't want to pay tax, why would they? However sometimes it seems every (other) EV owner on Boards is particularly sensitive about paying tax on their EV. 2 things are certain in this country, death and taxes on private cars

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i don't think its that, taxation on vehicles, once they are predominantly EVs, will have to work in a different way. Road usage is the most sensible, making arbitrary bands basis efficiency or bhp is nonsense really, tax people per KM driven, its how it should be done regardless of ICE or EV.

the non urban dwellers will complain but you cant keep everyone happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I've no issues paying tax, but if there's a legitimate way to pay less tax then I'll consider it

I think people are getting in a twist regarding motor tax. Whatever the system the next government comes up with it almost certainly won't be based on electricity consumption or mileage. Both of those are difficult to track and too open to fraud

I mean, if somehow there was a tax introduced on using an EV charger, then people would just charge using the granny lead which is indistinguishable from an electric heater

As for tracking mileage, how would it be reported? One suggestion was using the NCT but there's enough ways to turn back the odometer that there'll be fraud everywhere. You'll have folks driving 100,000km in a year and then paying tax for 10,000km

Whatever it is, it'll be something which is easily linked to the model of car so it can't be faked easily.

Going by current motor tax rules, my guess will be WLTP consumption, more efficient EVs pay less.

Another option as I said is a tax in vehicle segment, effectively making bigger and heavier vehicles more expensive for taxation

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

Maybe we could tax them based on colour?

Red cars pay most, white cars pay least and the other colours something in between?

I think you may have been confused by the short-term requirement to encourage zero emission vehicle uptake. We're still very early on the switchover <15% of new sales, and we still don't have cost parity across ICEVs vs BEVs. Taxation measures are one of the current best mechanisms to move that lever. As a nation we need to clean up our air. Removing any taxation advantage from BEVs at this time would not help us achieve the commitments we have made.

Tax based on how often you fail to use indicators at turns, with a higher rate for tailgaters

Or as it would be better known, the BMW tax 🤣

No probs, as long as we get a BMW lane on all motorways 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

why pay 50k+

many will go with finance.

I went from a 2006 Vw Touran that was costing €300 a month in fuel before things starting Increasing to a 2021EV that costs less to finance and charge.

i put 10k down, €250 a month to finance + 50 to charge.

savings on toll, motor tax, maintenance etc.

in three years I should have enough equity in the car tiki change it for a 2025. Maybe adding 3k or so.

Motor tax - AKA car tax is for all intents and purposes a luxury tax.

The fastest most powerfull EV's are the most expensive and will be bought by the wealthiest. The simplest way for them to do that is by power output. It was the same logic with the old cc based system and then the CO2 system and while there may be many more logical ways of doing it power output is very simple. I think the very original motor taxes in many countries were hp based to begin with.

Everyone wants someone else to pay tax but not them and while EV's pollute less than ICE's they are still a car probably carrying one person on their commute to work. More efficent than an equivalent ICE but still way below public trasnport, motorcycle / moped or bicycle but still not the optimum result. The loss of income to the exchequer is significant with the CO2 system and will continue to fall as more people change to EV so I see actions being taken to recitfy that. I think more people are now changing to EV for green reasons rather than lower annual tax. A proper campaign could sell an increase in EV motor tax if it were all properly ring fenced to secure better national public transport and energy security.

Its becoming quite clear they don't want cars in the city center so its not a question of if but when they will all be restricted. I got a taxi from the airport Saturday morning and he was saying he avoids the city like the plague now as its impossible to get around efficiently and make money. He can use the bus lanes and was driving an ID4 as I booked and EV taxi. I thought it was an interesting observation.

What we really need is a decent public transport system and planning that allows and supports it but that's a whole other discussion.

• Advertisement

You want to treat motor tax as a tax on a luxury but then propose a system that would result in higher tax on a family hatchback (ID.3) than an original Tesla Roadster.

Motor power on its own isn't enough to stand in for performance, you have to include a vehicle weight to have an idea what it's capable of doing with the power.

A car in not a luxury where I live, I need it to get to work and back (as does herself) as there are zero other options. It’s near impossible to achieve a fair tax on cars, no matter what a pretty significant proportion of the population will feel aggrieved whenever “motor” tax basis is revised

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Tax on km driven.

Make it mandatory for Insurance Companies to take exact odometers when renewing insurance and then this feeds into a Revenue database.

If you sell your car then when the next person transfers their insurance over to your old car (or the dealer updates the database) the current reading is given and applied to you retrospectively.

Tbh I don't think a tax based on motor power would work. The difference between power outputs on an EV is often just a parameter programmed into the car which can be changed afterwards

Tesla have already demonstrated that they can monetise unlocking the full motor power and other manufacturers are looking to do the same.

This would make a tax on motor power impossible to manage, people would just buy the lowest power version of the car to avail of lower motor tax (as well as lower VRT and potentially qualifying for grants) and then unlock the extra features later

In many ways the same is true for ICE cars nowadays. The range of engine sizes has been reduced dramatically and power is just programmed in by the manufacturer

Whatever the basis for taxation it needs to be something immutable which can't easily be changed

That's why I think WLTP consumption or size/weight will be the basis for motor tax on EVs in the future

I think the top ID3 is 204hp? Thats why I said €350 for the average family powered car. Motor tax never took power to weight into consideration in any previous guise that I can recall but I stand to be corrected. 350 is also less than one euro per day but it could be 300. Either way I can't see how anyone can argue with the logic of paying less than a euro per day to have the ability to use your own private family trasportation. Power to wieght ratios will always be a moving goal post but I suppose you could always just link it to 0-100kph speeds or perhaps another way would be to tie it to purchase price like BIK? No matter how its done it will have be very simple and hard for the manufacturers to bypass. I think they have learned as the CO2 think has bit them in the ...... Either way a Merc EQS, Porsche Taycan, Tesla Plaid + et al paying the same as Mr/Mrs Avg Family person will not be acceptable into the future especially if what the next potential government polls suggest.

I agree its not a luxury but thats how it has been treated, higher tax on more expensive items. Again thats why I use the 350 per year figure for what a family need as good capable family vehicle. I have no choice but to use a car to get to work and for work. I 100% don't enjoy the commute to work but there is no alternative so needs must and all that.

and that unfairly punishes those without any other option but to commute to work, even a modest half hour commute each way is guts of 15k Kim’s per annum

In Dublin a half hour commute each way is just 0.5k km per year 😂

I was about to say that as well

15,000km in Dublin traffic is more like a 90 mins commute each way 😫

• Advertisement

I agree but it's also one of the realities of modern society that people have accepted

The fact that you've no access to public transport in something that should be addressed, but even the most ambitious plans for public transportation won't cover the whole population

I honestly think that vehicle segment is the fairest basis for taxation. A car may be a necessity, but it doesn't need to be a big SUV for most people

You could skew the tax bands so that it encourages more efficient vehicles as the size increases, for example making estate cars cheaper to tax than SUVs, or make people carriers the same to tax as a hatchback so families with more kids aren't unfairly taxed extra

Advertisement