Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any of you chancing commute to work this week?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

cycled in to work, up through Ballymun from Finglas East, roads fine. Footpaths were bad this morning though in spots on the school run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I was fine cycling in (to Dublin) from Dundrum this morning, but I have a Christmas party tomorrow so I think the Luas will be a better option tomorrow! I will get the last luas home too since we are forecast to be so cold over night and i expect taxis will be very scarce. Going to see the winter lights in Merrion square this evening, which should be lovely in the cold, that will put me in a good frame of mind for the cycle home.

I wore warm gloves, a baselayer, a snood and arm warmers this morning, so was not chilly at all. In fact kind of nice in the crisp winter morning. The wicklow mountains look like a postcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

I just biked a little bit yesterday morning and it was not slippery or icy at all.

I only have to go to office on Thursday and I will judge in the morning whether there's too much snow/ice or not. If there's too much then I will have bought the present for the christmas secret santa for nothing, because biking is my only feasible way of getting into the office. There is no bus route, walking is 50 minutes and biking only 15 minutes.

I suppose my colleague could pick me up out of the goodness of his heart but I don't think that's going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭devonp

cycled home to Leixlip y'day evening ...serious fog it kept dripping off my helmet

roads fine only dodgy bit was the footbridge at KH and the rd into the estate

in this morning again ..roads fine ...still cold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hi!

I am considering cycling to work tomorrow... It was definitely milder today..3-4 Celsius as against 0 - 1 C on Monday...

It doesn't look too bad along the Northside coast and around Dublin Port..

Still a little sketchy up towards Sandyford.. but a thaw is happening...

It seems the wind has swung from a Northerly to an Easterly..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'm just sick of it now. It's so cold! It's just such an effort. Come on the thaw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Haven't risked the bike all week, have a brand new gravel bike that I'm afraid to get dirty, or worse!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's due to be -5C at 9am on thursday morning in dublin. same in galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

Drove into work this morning. Was very icy where I was so could have been in trouble cycling.

Plan is to cycle to work next week when the ice will have melted.

There'll be the post-gritting-thaw-first-rain slipperyness when it does consistently warm up. Mon the spring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

I’ve been cycling in it. Glad to have 28mm tyres on the bike. Had one small slide where I took a slow turn too sharp, but got my foot down in time to stop the fall. Grateful to getting a new front and rear light for the fog for the dark evenings. Overall it’s been grand, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Havn't really felt the cold, but I've had thermals on and have been cycling in my regular clothing and going slower so not sweating and getting cold that way really.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I cycled a few days this week. Good base layer and new tyres on the ebike so it wasn't bad. Visibility in the fog was pretty bad but I was well lit up. So may drivers without fog lights, DRLs only or no lights at all!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

F me, the number of motorists without lights on the evening of the bad fog, sort of blending into the bacground once they were 20m away like I was playing Turok on the N64. Only 1 cyclist without lights but there were very few out in general. I couldn't even be bothered to tell him what a muppet he is as I went past.

On a related note, guy in a white short sleeved t shirt at 7:30am this morning, to be young and immune to the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Back on the bike this morning for the first time this week, did not see a bit of ice at all (north Dublin to UCD, through the city/out along the N11), in fact the roads seemed dryer and safer than on a wet day.

Am really hoping that holds out now for the commute home. Either way, absolutely delighted to be back on my bike and not on the bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Fresh snow and ice in Kildare kept me at home again this morning even walking at lunch this week has been sketchy around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

My commute is on gritted roads, so i think i'll cycle in tomorrow...i know FCC were out gritting the roads as the truck passed me on my way home this evening and showered me in Grit! :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I went in on my hybrid today and the roads were fine - once I left my estate. The only spots with ice on them were bridges and the ice was only on the footpath, notb the road.

It is freezing hard already now and I suspect my estate will be like an ice rink tomorrow. As I spent money getting the carbon around the BB repaired last week, I think I'll take the hybrid again tomorrow just to avoid any potential regrets!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Haven't been out on the bike since last Wednesday, rest will do no harm at all, wasn't fussed once I hit 10,000 kms for the year. I'll look forward to getting back out on Sat, but Sunday looks a washout. Didn't chance it , rather a week off than potentially 5 or more weeks if I came off, at 65 your healing times are not what they used to be !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

As mentioned above I whipped out on Mon and took the train with the orange warning but have cycled the rest of the week.

Tues morning was particularly icey after the freezing fog and had to walk out of my estate as there was no traction. Rest of the week was ok until this morning, hard frost and the Phoenix Park was completely white at 06:30 and no sign of any gritting by the OPW. Bike was clogged with ice by the time I got to work as pictured below. I met a gritting lorry further out by Luttrellstown Castle this morning and also last night around 19:00 but I guess the council don't cover the OPW grounds and the OPW couldn't be bothered, it did look picturesque even at that hour in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’ve had no issues since the cold snap began until last night only on the bike 5 mins and I was down, which I found strange as other nights have been colder and surfaces have been fine in general.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Well it was all fine until last night, motorists generally tolerant, bike lanes were covered in an inch of ice until last might in most places. I didn't fall or hurt myself though, I have some damned chest infection, ears are blocked, coughing up parts of my lung, heavy chest in regards taking a breath is now laboured.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Was back on a bus again yesterday, so was determined this morning to cycle in.

Road outside my house was completely white. Car Frozen. Had a 6 inch icicle down my window sill.

Decided to walk my bike down to the main road, completely dry once I got there the whole way out.

I tell you what thought, it was **** cold! Thumbs felt like they were on fire by the time I got there (35 minute cycle) and couldn't feel any of my toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Rode in twice this week 65km each day, the back roads of County Meath are very icy, even the road from Kilclune to Batterstown is terrible. Bigger roads are fine in the tyre tracks. Wednesday was better after a

light sprinkling of snow overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

50K today. -4 this morning...only -1 on the way home. roads around NCD were fine as they were all gritted, my driveway on the other hand was lethal!

I actually had the boots I bought back in 2010 on me this week. Steel toe work boots and still plenty of thread left on them. I'm as sure footed as a goat in in them ..... probably due to their weight!!!!! . They owe me nothing of the €70 I paid for them. I did however learn this week they are no fun to cycle in 😅

We're a ways off 2010 levels of freeze though aren't we. I remember that year vividly. Still see the scars of it on walls and footpaths around the place.

Was out on foot for shopping this evening and the paths were a bit better than the last few nights and the roads looked OK where they'd been gritted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Lethal this morning in Limerick, I knew something was different because there were weird fractal patterns on all the car windows on my route and there were a few points where I had no traction on the back wheel, must have rained and then froze, then just at the industrial estate I went straight down hard on the ground, made it through the whole thing without even a skid and now Im sore all down one side and I broke my phone holder and lost one of my Giant end plugs, it's going to thaw tonight aswell, raging.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was out in the car today and most roads were fine, but some little back lanes which had stayed in the shade looked lethal. it's been two weeks since i was last on the bike.

• Advertisement

Starting to freeze again in Dublin, its baltic out. Slippy.

At least there's no snow. I'm dreading the first week post freeze, with all the accumulated grit/ salt, makes a very slippy sludge until there's a good downpour to clean it away. It's as bad as ice!

Advertisement