Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone here brought a non-EU girlfriend to live in Ireland? How did you do it?

• 03-12-2022 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

So I met a girl while traveling and became romantically entangled.

I've been in contact with her since. I want her to come to Ireland and yes she wants to come too. I'm Irish and live here. She's Colombian.

What's the best way to do this?

I know there's a de facto spouse thing but you have to live together for 2 years in order to qualify.

Is marriage the only option? And if it is, does it guarantee her entry into the state?

Are there any other options that will allow her to come and live here? Something like "that one simple trick the Irish government hates!!!"

SO, let's get the piss taking out of the way first shall we? Mail order bride and all that. No I'm not a 90 year old pervert either.

Post edited by JackieChang on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Main question is, does she want to come over here? Couldn't find it in your post, all I saw was I want her to come to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Where is she from?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Abril9

Well now I would have sworn you were a dirty old man looking for a mail order! I'm only codding ya!

First question would be what Nationality is she? You'd be surprised as there are different rules/regulations/restrictions for many.

De-Facto is indeed a route to go down as is marriage and there are other options too as temporary solutions work visa & student. The best piece of advice I could give you is to get herself here and settled in some way, shape or form. That's assuming she wants to come and join you 😋

From there get your names together on stuff and work forward from that point onwards. It's not a walk in the park in terms of getting settled here but it's possible despite the obstacles that will come your way. So go for it the two of you if it feels right.

As for entry into the state/visa etc. There'll be a list out there of precisely what's required these days to gain entry but in my honest opinion normally that's not the issue.

It's the personality of the person in the booth opposite you who is reviewing passports. On one hand you might get a lovely person who won't bad an eyelid. They'll make sure all requirements are met and stamp you in but then you can also sometimes encounter the other types. The folks with the horrible personalities who spend their weekends eating rustler's burgers and watching friends on loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭thegame983

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Making good use of the gringo effect. Fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

That's good, if everything clicks in I wish to both of you best of luck and long live together. Posters above have info on how to, might be kind of long path, but rewarding in the end. Hope you'll both find the happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Abril9

Absolutely, best wishes.

I will say this as someone who has been through it. At the beginning when you are beginning to figure of what is needed, how to go about it, what challenges will arise, what you can do and what you can't do etc. All of that put together when it dawns on you makes the whole thing seem impossible.

BUT if you prepare for it and strategize it's merely a checklist that needs to be followed and it can be done in efficient timing these days. You'll see plenty of non-EU/EEA women/men rocking around now who are settled and comfortable.

There is a blueprint to follow that perhaps wasn't there years ago.

• Advertisement

Nationality is Colombian. You seem to be fairly knowledgeable on the topic. What if they come on a tourist visa and we get married the very next day. Will she be allowed to stay? We can prove that it's not a scam marriage of convenience. Got a year of correspondence.

• Call me a sceptic, but one tiny word of caution, satisfy yourself that she really wants to be with you even more than she wants to come to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

My friend did. She just arrived from brazil at the beginning of covid. No questions asked. Still here

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭marty whelan

Nope getting married while she is here won't help. Better off getting married abroad and then applying for join family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The 'RA used have a connection with Colombia, something to do with bird watching and mortars , they might be able to help.

Failing that the lads who move Cocaine around might be another option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

As far as I am aware the Civil registration office does not allow this.You can register your intention to marry while she is here on a tourist visa which does not entitle a partner to stay indefinitely.The office will tell you to return in 3 months for the ceremony provided they are satisfied with all the documents supplied by both of you.Then the residency process can begin.Your partner will have to be back in Colombia when starting the residency process.Speak to your nearest civil registration office for up to date info.Look on inis.gov.ie for immigration rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Does she realize how $hit the weather is here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Does she realize how $hit the cocaine is here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

A very common, and relatively easy way that it’s done now is coming on a student Visa while enrolling in a cheap English language course. At least I think it’s a student visa, but I’m certain it’s obtained due to the course. That could buy you some time.

They might be refused entry if upfront about the plan.

There was a poster on here a year or two back that used to have some crazy threads. He was posting about being single and emigrating because there was nothing for him in Ireland, then suddenly a few months later posting about getting married to a Brazilian student he had fallen in love with but was out of her status here, and asking whether they could go abroad to get married quicker (maybe to Malta if I remember correctly). And then a few weeks later he was posting asking about annulments and divorces. I think it was around the start of covid because he used to post mad stuff against sensible measures.

The passport is a big advantage and very valuable. It's fine to joke about it, and I would have no problem with anyone using it to add to their advantage when maybe punching above their weight in other regards, but you'd really want to be careful that you're not just being seen as a passport and future divorce payout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

The easiest way with no risk to any party is if she has a skill that matches with the critical skills list on DOE

https://enterprise.gov.ie/en/what-we-do/workplace-and-skills/employment-permits/employment-permit-eligibility/highly-skilled-eligible-occupations-list/

Once she gets the employment permit she can apply for a working visa.

Education, social care and health are the 3 main areas at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

suitcase, be grand.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Why do you care about mail order bride pervert blah blah comments. Why would somebody from Columbia be anything but your gf and your business. Just tell those people to **** themselves, in my experience 99% of folks don't care who your partner is nor should they.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭mistersifter

A lot of people from Latin America would qualify for an EU passport through grandparents.

Others come to study on a student visa, either by paying for English language courses or the even more costly option of degree/masters degrees. If she was to study here for 2 years and you lived together during that time, she would then qualify for De Facto. It's not cheap but potentially cheaper then getting married if that doesn't work out.

Would not be a good idea to arrive on a tourist visa if she wants to stay here long term. Whatever she is doing should be arranged in advanced - courses confirmed or wedding planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Is she qualified in any technical or IT related field? There are skills shortages in Ireland, she might be able to get a visa independently of your relationship?

Get her certified as a Database Administrator and she'll be given a visa and walk into a high paid job

Would you recommend he go Asian instead of Latina? The Latinas tend to be unquestionably hotter in my opinion

However the Asians love you long time. Or so I've heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A large crate, make sure you drill a few holes for air first.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Misread the title thought you'd bought a girlfriend. Oh well.

Check if she could get dual Spanish citizenship by descent. Then she won't need to marry you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

That would be a breach of her tourist visa and and excellent way of getting deported! You are basically asking the authorities to disregard that fact that she lied on her visa application and believe that a year worth of correspondence represents a genuine relationship…. Start with a lie and that is hard to rollback.

Also ask your questions in a serious forum, which this is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 friday one

Apologies if things have changed, however I married my non EU wife in a civil ceremony in Ireland when she was here on a tourist visa. This was 6 years ago.

We had had to do a separate "interview" the day before to ensure it wasn't a scam marriage. It was questions like "where was your first date", "who is her best friend?". I was actually a bit taken back. The lady interviewing was very embarrassed. She kept apologising as it was clear it wasn't a scam. She told me before it was introduced it was common to have an Asian man and a woman from eastern Europe, neither able to speak English nor each others language.

I had to arrange it well in advance and get birt certs translated.

It was recommended to me that after marriage my wife leave and we apply for another visa (weirdly not a family reunion one)

However she could have made an application to stay immediately, but this would potentially delayed her getting a stamp 4.

She recently got her Irish Citizenship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Who did you contact to arrange this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Whilst Latinas are unquestionably hot they are also undoubtedly cray-cray but they like to call it "passionate".

I hope the op has thought this through.

His girlfriend or the Visa?

Same answer for both. Filled out the forms and submitted the required fee

• Registered Users Posts: 26 friday one

The civil ceremony was via the HSE, the registry office on Lombard Street.

Joyce House

8-11 Lombard Street East

Dublin 2

PM me if you need more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

My brother is another pathetic loser like you who couldn't get a girl from a first world country so ended up with a Colombian. Anyway they got married, but they have a kid too, I don't know if that helps. They live in another EU country now, but even when visiting Ireland you have to write a letter to Irish immigration explaining why you're visiting and where you're staying etc.

It was way easier to get the kid an Irish passport than residency for her though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"My brother is another pathetic loser like you..."

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

I find it amazing how the story of the two auld lads marrying to avoid paying tax was advertised so widely in the media at the time, being celebrated by the national broadcaster.

It was a sham marriage to avoid paying tax just like there can be sham marriages for residency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yeah, what an absolute loser. Getting with a woman from Colombia, which isn't a first world country. Who the fcuk would want one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So she is on the market and probably has Spanish citizenship at this stage.

Mind you her singing is irritating as fook and that slimey git from Barca would probably be round the whole time to visit the kids.

OP like all lads that have found a foreign lady that is dying to marry them and live in Ireland should always be wary.

Have seen a couple that have suddenly decided they longer want to be married once citizenship arrives.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭techman1

What about irish women who marry men from third world countries are they also "pathetic losers"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

True, some marry for Citizenship but that's certainly not always the case. I've a cousin married to a Filipino and living here in Ireland. He met her while he was living in the Philippines. I was at their wedding but fcuked if I can remember when it was but it's at least 15 years ago and they are still together. And they have had tough times financially and she still stuck with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

What is wrong with being a pervert anyway? As long as you aren't breaking any laws. When woman engage in kinky sexual activity they say they are just "exploring their sexuality" but when men do it it is considered creepy. Just look at sex toys, noone considers women weird for having dildo but it is a different story if a man buys a pocket pussy.

Advertisement