Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'll leave it there so. I know well about the duty of politicians to their office. I also know about their duties to themselves. They're not obliged to comply with your morality code or anyone else's. The negligible level of public attention to the video confirms there is no public interest in this matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Sure. If you say so.

You clearly must move in very different circles than I do because it’s been discussed daily since it broke in my professional circle.

No one os gossiping. We’re discussing, there is a difference.

If your discussing someone snogging in a nightclub every day, you’re gossiping.

• Advertisement

And again, we’re not discussing snogging, we’re discussing the person’s behaviour in totality.

Discussing facts is not gossiping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Gets in on 5th count in constituency. Becoming taoiseach for the second time.

Some system.

There is not much talk about it because people are afraid to be labelled homophobic. If it was Simon Harris, Stephen Donnelly etc who was shifting a young one then it would be open season. We all know it.

Leo is of an immigrant background and is openly gay. Much of his behaviour is given a pass. People and media are afraid to be labelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

You're not allowed say anything about this incident, according to the media. We had numerous articles in the Irish Independent about how Matt Hancock is a despicable cheat. Not one of those articles mentioned that the photos taken of him cheating were taken without his consent. As usual with journalists, it depends on what side you're backing.

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/the-sneakily-taken-video-of-leo-varadkar-is-another-example-of-sinister-digital-voyeurism-he-deserves-his-privacy-42217795.html

Always funny to hear that you can’t talk about Leo because he’s a gay immigrant at the end of a long discussion about Leo’s nightclub activities.

Prurient gossip about who’s tongue was down who’s throat. Stop trying to dress it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

The world doesn't begin and end on boards.ie my friend.

"Always funny" - ok

Sure aren't you bending over backwards to tell everyone what's what. Your opinion is the only correct one

No. It was a fact based discussion. You should try it sometime.

Interesting, would you care to share any of these facts that your knitting circle was focused on? Maybe the 'facts' about the age of the other party or his prior relationship to Vradokar or the nature of Vradokar's relationship with the doctor? Please do get these facts (and not the idle speculation we've seen on this thread) on the table.

Wow, personal abuse again. What a shock 🙄

I didn’t mention the other doctor, why are you inserting that into this?

Do you not understand that people can discuss the man and his behaviours without it descending into gossip? Or that people can have entirely fact based conversations?

For a person who said you’d “leave it there so” last night you seem intent on having the last word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That's the whole point of the question being raised here on this thread. The degree of public attention is not negligible when it comes to be mentioned on a radio show as run by B'OC. He, the producers & RTE wouldn't dare to have it mentioned if it wasn't based on fact and public disquiet.

I didn't say you mentioned the other doctor, though you did tell us all about these apparent rules for open relationships and not bringing attention to yourself. Was that one of the 'facts' you were discussing with your mates? And what about your claim that Vradakar had the video removed from social media himself, was that more of the facts you were discussing, or was it just idle gossip?

It's been ten days, lad. It got a brief mention on a radio panel show. It's not exactly a burning issue, like housing or health or even the feckin weather.

No, I told you about one rule. Singular, not plural.

I never said they were my “mates”, they are colleagues. We work in the medical profession btw, some of my colleagues would have been in university with Leo and on placement with him. Some of my colleagues are also gay. I’m guessing you’re probably shocked that I know some gay people, right? 🙄

Tell me then how it was removed seeing as you seem to know so much about it? Or are you really naive enough to think no pressure was exerted?

Finally for now, are you capable of answering any questions or do you expect me to continue to answer all of yours without returning the courtesy?

Other medics, huh? You don't think maybe the green-eyed monster of envy is biasing any of the conversations, by any chance?

I know absolutely nothing about how, why or when the video got removed. But you're the one claiming to be having fact-based discussions on the one hand while pumping out unsubstantiated gossip about how the video got removed on the other hand. Forgive me for thinking that perhaps your little chat wasn't entirely fact-based?

I did go back at one stage and see if I could work out what questions you want me to answer, and all I could see what rhetoric. Is there something specific you'd like me to cover?

Envy? What on earth are you on about? That’s some leap. Did it ever occur to you that people are happy in their chosen careers and aren’t envious of others? Now those who criticize his performance are envious of him? Next we’ll be jealous because some of us are straight and he’s gay, 🤷‍♂️🙄

i have asked many direct questions to and of you, and they’re there over the last few pages in blank and white for all to see. You’re showing yourself up very badly here by claiming I haven’t.

It’s perfectly obvious which of my posts contain questions for you, questions you continue to avoid.

• Advertisement

Questions I've asked that you've avoided include (but are not limited to):

Do you think you'd have any better than a snowballs chance in hell in getting a video removed from a social media platform?

Do you seriously think it was removed without some input from his office? Seriously?

Do you know how hard it is to get anything removed from a social media platform?

(I’m not saying him snogging the guy was reckless, I’m saying his behaviour is.) Do you really not see or understand the difference here?

Do you know anyone in an open relationship?

Do you honestly think his Strat Comm PR minions were delighted when this became public or something?

Are you saying there are none (behavioural standards) that accompany that office?

Do you not understand that people can discuss the man and his behaviours without it descending into gossip?

Or that people can have entirely fact based conversations?

On Leo playing the privacy card:

Utterly predictable to see him play the privacy card too. Pearse Doherty’s run in with the law wasn’t a private matter was it, and Mary Lou’s house doesn’t seem to be private either?

That's a lot of questions I've asked you that you've assiduously avoided. Would you care to reply to each of those questions now?

Do you think you'd have any better than a snowballs chance in hell in getting a video removed from a social media platform?

I recall getting a video removed from YouTube around 2018. Different circumstances, no snogging, no nightclubs. It took a while to navigate through the YT processes, but I got there in the end.

Do you seriously think it was removed without some input from his office? Seriously?

Objection, asking witness to speculate, your honour.

Do you know how hard it is to get anything removed from a social media platform?

I recall getting a video removed from YouTube around 2018. Different circumstances, no snogging, no nightclubs. It took a while to navigate through the YT processes, but I got there in the end.

(I’m not saying him snogging the guy was reckless, I’m saying his behaviour is.) Do you really not see or understand the difference here?

His behaviour was snogging a guy in a nightclub. That's what it is all about, surely?

Do you know anyone in an open relationship?

Yes.

Do you honestly think his Strat Comm PR minions were delighted when this became public or something?

Strategic Communications group was disbanded, around 2019 I think. I've no idea what they thought, so I don't see any value in speculating.

Are you saying there are none (behavioural standards) that accompany that office?

Already answered in the thread.

Do you not understand that people can discuss the man and his behaviours without it descending into gossip?

I understand it is theoretically possible, but based on the gossipy nature of your previous posts, it doesn't seem very likely in this case.

Or that people can have entirely fact based conversations?

Yes, that is indeed possible. But speculation about the nature of his open relationship and the details of who allegedly got the video removed are not entirely fact based, or vaguely fact based. They are gossip.

On Leo playing the privacy card:

Utterly predictable to see him play the privacy card too. Pearse Doherty’s run in with the law wasn’t a private matter was it, and Mary Lou’s house doesn’t seem to be private either?

Is there a question here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

For the ppl supporting Varadkar - REGARDLESS of the morality of his personal activities which ppl will make their own decisions on - the video has further undermined his authority -

He is a figure of ridicule among a large part of the population.

There is F all enthusiasm for him taking on the role of Taoiseach.

Growing unease within FG regarding him.

It is laughable that the consummate political media whore is now demanding privacy...

His enemies both here and abroad will replay and retweet the video all during his hopefully short tenure as Taoiseach.

All in all, the incident is yet another example of his piss poor judgement when let out on his own without the ever present “minders”.

He is totally unsuited to the role and the sooner he is kicked out the better - he can then roll around the nightclubs propositioning men to his hearts content.

Apologies for the delay in replying, I've been up the walls.

Do you have any evidence you had a video removed? You'd have at least some email correspondence, perhaps you'd care to share some of it? You can redact your name of course, but I suspect there will be no evidence except for your word.

And yes, there is a question in the last line. I'll spell it out for you this time:

Do you not see a contradiction in terms of Leo claiming something is a private matter when he used Dail privilege to attack both Pearse Doherty and Mary Lou on matters that were are also private?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Derval struggling to stop some panellist speaking about the Lebanon incident.

Declan I think…..called out a journo for lazy reporting.

Lot of things have to come out about this,I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I have to agree there, I've had that feeling since the incident resulting in the soldiers death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Lies and misinformation coming from Hezbollah.

Everyone needs to proceed with caution on this tragic incident.

We will eventually find the truth.

RIP Private Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What the fuerhke is this crap with Fanning and Wilson all about.

Are they shilling some wheeze they are up to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Pointing out that the Sunday Independent’s sources’ bottoms are just as lovely as the other papers’.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Another Fanning’s fabliest fifty coming soon.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Funnily enough, I do have the email correspondence, from about five years ago. I've had a quick look, and there's probably about an hour's work involved in redacting, name, all the links, all the references, all the email addresses and more. So to be honest, I can't be arsed.

Do you have evidence of your claim that the first rule of open relationships (and specifically of Vradakar's open relationship) is that you don't mess around in public?

That's how this works, right? We all have to produce evidence of everything?

You didn't so much spell out the question as actually stating a question which wasn't there in the first place. But it seems to be premised on a fundamental misunderstanding of my position. I'm not here to defend Vradakar or tell you what a great guy he is. If there's a thread attacking him for his policy failures and his leadership failures, I'll be first in there to have a go at him. This issue isn't impacted by anything he said about the Shinners. It doesn't matter what he said - his snogging in a nightclub is still an entirely private matter, and of no relevance.

It didn't seem to come up in Irish media this weekend. It appears to be of very little interest to anyone except your good self. The idea that it will be a significant feature of the next election in two years time is a stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It will come back to haunt FG and Leo. I suppose they were short of time, but could have seized the nettle and used the changeover to put up Harris or Coveney as Taoiseach with a reasonable excuse of rotating. Unless it was specified that it had to be Leo in the original coalition agreement. Micheál Martin & FF have come well out of the arrangement so far overall.

In other words you have no evidence. Right then, thought so.

It did actually come up in many places over the weekend, but not sure what that has to do with my post? I also never said anything about it affecting an election result either way - not sure why you’re directing that at me?

And of course you avoid answering the question.

Wrong again. I have evidence, but I'm not going to share it with you, because it is confidential.

Do you have evidence to support your claim about open relationships?

Do you have evidence to support your claim that 'it came up in many places' over the weekend? Did you mean in the media or not?

I avoided answering the question because 1) it assumed that I was some kind of loyal defender of Vradakar, and 2) it has no relevance to the discussion about privacy of the nightclub video.

lol - confidential. Good one. 🤣🤣🤣 You have no evidence because it didn’t happen.

yes it came up in many and opinion piece regarding his re-assumption of the office of the Taoiseach and an interview with Oliver Callan’s regarding his sketch show too. Callan and Leo have previous form - they are far from friends - but Callan said he chose not to cover it in a sketch as it was basically too easy, he did allude to it however in the week before last’s episode as “the thing we’ll pretend didn’t happen”

Evidence re. Rules of open relationships? Now you are going both facetious and ridiculous. Are you suggesting these are a written set of rules?

The only one suggesting loyalty to Varadkar is you, I haven’t suggested it, nor did I assume anything. It is however relevant as Leo can’t gave it both ways - he can’t claim privacy when it’s him but throw private matters at others when he feels like it. Or do you fail to see the double standards and the hypocrisy in that?

• Advertisement

Are you surprised that matters relating to removal of a video are confidential? I wouldn't have been looking to remove the video if there wasn't confidentiality issues. I have lots of evidence here, but I'm not going to share it wit you.

'Many an opinion piece'? Don't suppose you'd like to give any examples of these many opinion pieces where it came up? It's a bit strange that the only example you reference is the one that contradicts your position, given that Callan said;

“Yeah, I just think it would be unfair and we literally made an editorial decision we are not going to do that and there are plenty of political issues, professional issues around that are far more right for comedy than anything like that so we didn’t touch it at all.”

Vradakar's double-standards and hypocrisy are entirely irrelevant. Privacy rights are not conditional on lack of hypocrisy. He's entitled to privacy of his private life, regardless of how he behaved in the past.

So Leo is entitled to privacy, but others aren’t. Ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

He has presented as much evidence of this as you have to back up your assertion that Joe Duffy pays "FOCK ALL" tax.

Who said that others aren’t entitled to privacy?

The implication from your post is clearly thus.

• Advertisement

Did you miss the bit where I explicitly said “Privacy rights are not conditional on lack of hypocrisy.”?

So you condemn Leo on his various use of "private information" as a means to throw mud at hit opponents then?

Btw, I wasn't asking you to disvlose the nature or the content of your emails with the social media platform, or indeed the whole thread of same. Just a few screenshots detailing your complaint and a response from them would be sufficient. No need to breach any confidentiality at all by doing that.

But I'm guessing you don't actually have any of the above, do you? Or feel free to prove me wrong.

Perhaps he'll do that when you provide evidence to back up your comments on the amount of tax paid by Joe Duffy

But I'm guessing you don't actually have any, do you? Or feel free to prove me wrong

I'll condemn Vradakar for lots of things, his poor leadership of the country (outside of the initial Covid phase, in fairness), his poor leadership in his various Departments, his poor leadership of his own party. I'm not too familiar with either of the incidents you mention, and I couldn't be arsed on reading up on them to allow myself to give a sensible opinion. So I'm not going to comment on those incidents.

As I previously explained, having looked at the emails, and the various responses (given that it took a fair bit of digging and pestering to get the matter resolved), the effort involved in redacting the personal information, which makes up most of those communications, would be too much. I don't give a toss whether you believe me. It is a sign of the weakness of your overall position that you repeatedly try to score points on an irrelevancy, while making unsubstantiated claims about non-personal matters (like the 'many opinion pieces' you mentioned) yourself.

"It is a sign of the weakness of your overall position that you repeatedly try to score points on an irrelevancy, while making unsubstantiated claims"

It's the ButtersSuki way.

Lol. 🤣

That’s actually a compliment coming from you.

Sure. I believe you, thousands wouldn’t.

Asking for evidence of something you claim to have is now an irrelevancy? You’re sounding more like Leo everyday!

Prove me wrong then! I bet you won’t though,

• Advertisement
Advertisement