Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze - Dec 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Non main roads lethal after the showers. Freezes straight away, I was in tractor and it spinning away in spots. Nearly slipped on me hole walking across the yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Fog never lifted here all day, the window screens on anything not started didn’t thaw at all today

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Big change this morning , tawed out during the night, water back on one shed, hopefully second shed be running soon, yards clear and garden clear, big change over night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Plenty of frost around but doesn't seem as sharp. No fog so far so might thaw off earlyish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

Nice bright morning but everything is frozen solid since yesterday morning, at least the fog lifted. Not massive demand on water from the cows but drinkers will be empty by afternoon if no thaw, still have water in some straw covered IBC's and that haven't frozen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Small bit of snow yesterday and some frost last night. No frost Sunday night.

I was going to get these girls a jersey to keep them warm 😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We have large water tank in slatted shed for rainwater and drinkers are gravity fed of that. 2010 was last time they froze, so far they are good. Heat lamp on timer in pump house. It was on a frost star but that went faulty, there’s a repair for the list

haven't been down the yard myself in few days but all good so far.

Over the winters we keep a battery maintenance charger on the tractor all the time so no problems starting to feed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Rain all morning, next few days could be worse if it freezes hard again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭memorystick

Are bullocks ok without water if on silage only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'd say they'd need a small bit alright, but the water requirement should be pretty low, not exactly zero though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭somofagun

Built a new cattle house which is getting its first use this year and there are 38 in total in it with a mixture of bullocks & heifers and it was -2 in it this morning.

All lying on slats which I still haven't got used to seeing as we bedded on straw previously in an old shed built back in the 60's with a low lean-to roof and only kept a handfull of weanlings over the winter. No frozen water troughs or anything to deal with but is -2 normal enough in a cattle house in this weather.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I'm drawing a few buckets into store cattle that are getting no meal and they're not that interested. But I still wouldn't leave them without the option of water anyway.

I'm surprised at how little they're drinking all the same.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Wallpaper background sorted for the next while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

And I am amazed at the amount of freezing water they are drinking, they are on silage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Not quite as picturesque as yours . A few cows, one calf and in calf heifers on the stand off pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ESetter

Mine the same..id say a lot of it is the type of silage..i have a few wet bales and im using them in this freeze up.

Great picture @Base, it must have gone a good bit below zero judging by the way the trees have frosted up

By chance I gave the dog water too, he was gasping with the thirst and it hadn't dawned on me that he had no access to some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,787 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Some areas don't seem to have it bad at all, we're all ice and frost and I'm half an hour away in meath and it's 3 degrees, no frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

They would want to get access to some water every 24hrs. In 2010 kept cattle moving every 24 hours to a pen that had water.

Holding up ok here so far. Just a small shed where I have 2 cows and 2 calves in is frozen. Just put a half a blue barrel in and have a tap and hose that can be left dripping nearby. In the he main sheds, a few drinkers froze a bit, nothing that 10 seconds with a blowtorch wouldn't sort. Keeping the doors shut to the north has help keep some heat in. In some of the larger drinkers I have a bit of a 6x3 that floats cattle play with it when the drink and slows the ice forming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Field drinkers, concrete, is it the freeze that can cause them to bust/ crack if left with water in them or is it when it's thawing out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We have had freezing fog for the last three days so everything is white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It's the freezing does it, water expands as it freezes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Leaving the florescent lights and a night light on in the 3 bay, has kept the water flowing in that shed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Looks to be a right sort of a foal, connemara?

Yes a Connemara, he's a lovely foal but on the white book as the Mother is not registered.

Another fairly hardy night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

-3 down south overnight. Tonight will be colder I think.

Way thicker ice in the drinkers this morning compared to other mornings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Was ok till Monday and now I’m in trouble having to fill barrels with a bucket and draw them half a mile up the toad to the slats.

wife came down with a stomach bug in Monday that just added to the pressure.

she was well enough for us to go off for a family day last night but the downside was I was drawing water at 10.30 last night

Advertisement